ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The car turns over, just had the starter replaced cuz the old one died. It is like the car is losing its prime when it sits for a while. It is usually just the first time I go to start it where it has trouble, but then it starts fine for the rest of the day.

I have bench tested the Fuel pump (its fine), looked for FPR symptoms (found none), I have replaced the Fuel relay with a new one, it is however throwing the code for the cam angle sensor (but I didnt think that affected starting).

Going on the fuel prime hunch, I have been turning the key off and on a few times and then cranking it over (to let the fuel pump run a few times). It usually would take a few tries, but it would always start in the past. Today it ran the battery dead after around 30 min of trying, but each time it would sputter like it was almost going to start, not just mindless cranking over and over. I will charge it obviously before trying again.

Can someone please shed some light on what is going on here, I really am tired of the wild goose chase fixes that continue not to fix the problem. A new cam angle sensor is like $250, so I dont want to spend the money until I know it is that for sure.

I'm going to go charge the battery and check the plugs (but they were just replaced like a year and a half ago so they shouldnt be bad yet)

I would really appreciate some help here. Thanks.

Update.

I went back out there to clean up and push it out of the way. Figured Id just see if itd start...... and it fired right up first try........... FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!! My car is trolling me hardcore.

So it is being very unpredictable, working sometimes and not working others. Is this in support of the sensor going bad?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Bad cam angle sensor (or lack of signal) will keep the car from starting.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I added in to my OP that each try the car would sputter like it was about to start, but it never actually got running.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
well, you need 3 things to get the car running:

1) fuel
2) spark
3) timing

Seems you have fuel already, and probably got spark if you are getting some sputtering. what about timing? recent timing belt change? or any work done in that area?

Also, we need to know the year of the car and any modifications in the engine area. what is some recent work that has been done? any recent parts replaced? etc. etc.

Oh btw, if the cam angle sensor is removed or not working, the car will not start period. it will just crank and fail all day long. if you have your AFM removed or disconnected, it might start for a second before the ECU will cut it off.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, you need 3 things to get the car running:

1) fuel
2) spark
3) timing

Seems you have fuel already, and probably got spark if you are getting some sputtering. what about timing? recent timing belt change? or any work done in that area?

Also, we need to know the year of the car and any modifications in the engine area. what is some recent work that has been done? any recent parts replaced? etc. etc.

Oh btw, if the cam angle sensor is removed or not working, the car will not start period. it will just crank and fail all day long. if you have your AFM removed or disconnected, it might start for a second before the ECU will cut it off.
Its a 93, with 189k on the chassis, 70k ish on the motor. Put on headers, HFC, ebay N1 catback this summer. K&N drop in, and FM stage 2 suspension. Also had a new starter put in a few weeks ago.

This starting issue has been going on for a while though, and has gotten gradually worse. I let it go so long as it would start, but now it really isn't starting lol. Its not my DD, so I can get around, but i want it running while i can still enjoy this nice weather.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update.

I went back out there to clean up and push it out of the way. Figured Id just see if itd start...... and it fired right up first try........... FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!! My car is trolling me hardcore.

So it is being very unpredictable, working sometimes and not working others. Is this in support of the sensor going bad?

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Well, if the CAS sensor is going bad it will cut out or be difficult to start when hot, but start right up when cold.

·
Supporting Member
2,284 Posts
Seems like you are getting pretty much the same answers here as over on MNet...bad CAS...

the code is there for a reason...

Try a used part vendor for a known good used part...

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Bad cam angle sensor (or lack of signal) will keep the car from starting.
Seems like you are getting pretty much the same answers here as over on MNet...bad CAS...

the code is there for a reason...

Try a used part vendor for a known good used part...
I have 2 1.6L spare CAS if you're interested in buying one. If you're in SoCal, you can test if you don't believe me.

There's also a way to use a DMM to test the 4 signals from the CAS, 12V, 5V, 5V, GND from my feint memory.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts