ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
CR.net Supporter
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm going to be trying to start my tuck and under hood crap removal this wenesday and i have a 90 without powersteering/brakes and want to remove the ac, canaster, valve thingy, fuse boxes will be staying.
1 how do i let the freon out of the hardlines.
2 to take the compessor out can i just cut the combressor belt off without taking my front belt off.

thats all, input would be awesome

or links to sites that are miata specific

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
what's your front belt? I don't think there's anything in front of the ac belt. Take the car to a mechanic/ac place to get the freon removed. It's toxic stuff and it might even be illegal to just let it release into the air.

·
Registered
668 Posts
The front belt on my '93 was the a/c belt. :)
Your car should have R12 in it.. so people at a shop will GLADLY reclaim it for FREE. It's pretty pricey stuff these days... might even get a buck!? :D

·
CR.net Supporter
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
when it comes to removing the canaster and valve thingy what do i use to cap the lines. with the breather tube at the valve cover and intake pipe can the valve cover run free air and just cap the intake side?

·
Esteemed Member
3,776 Posts
when it comes to removing the canaster and valve thingy what do i use to cap the lines. with the breather tube at the valve cover and intake pipe can the valve cover run free air and just cap the intake side?
for the charcoal canister I put the two hardlines together, and plugged the sensor bung. For the breather tube I put a bolt in intake piping and then I put a filter on the valve cover

·
CR.net Supporter
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
would you happen to have a pic of the hardlines together or is it just hoses i have to get to link them. and what of the section were it connects to the fuel rail. not totally fimiliar with the under hood by memory yet. at work right now and can't walk out to my car and look. hince the first question (the front belt is the ac belt)

by the way to remove the ac belt just lossen the tensioner and remove? will the car act any differnt without that stuff there even though it doesn't put load on the car unless the compressor is on?

someone really needs to do a full write up on this! hell if i have time maybe i'll document this **** while i do it! new camera my finally come i handy other than take pics of my ugly car.

·
Registered
144 Posts
would you happen to have a pic of the hardlines together or is it just hoses i have to get to link them. and what of the section were it connects to the fuel rail. not totally fimiliar with the under hood by memory yet. at work right now and can't walk out to my car and look. hince the first question (the front belt is the ac belt)

by the way to remove the ac belt just lossen the tensioner and remove? will the car act any differnt without that stuff there even though it doesn't put load on the car unless the compressor is on?

someone really needs to do a full write up on this! hell if i have time maybe i'll document this **** while i do it! new camera my finally come i handy other than take pics of my ugly car.
one of the CC lines that you remove is perfect for joining the hard-lines together, you can even re-use the clips

It's dead obvious when you actually do it.

·
Registered
459 Posts
is there a retrofit kit in there???
beats me...i'm not even quite sure these days, but as for the ac, if its same size fitting on cold and hot side, its most likely gonna be the more harmful r-12. and yes, people like r-12 over r134 so get it recycled as it does contain more ozone damaging cfc's.

if one fitting is bigger than the other...well, who cares? even if it is r-134, you should still be able to hustle them into recovering it for you for free...its free to them anyways, but they make money on selling the freon.

i guess just do the right thing if you can.

·
CR.net Supporter
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
got a friend of mine pulling the freon and replacing my main alt belt and dropping my ac belt off then when i get home i can start on it and put my new fender i picked up this morning (if picking up forza 2 doesn't stop me). if anyone is local to maryland and knows where banks auto yard in conowingo there is a silver miata and i beleive 2 na's at mason dixon down the road.

·
CR.net Supporter
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
in the corner next to PA and delaware on US RT1. which way you coming from.

·
CR.net Supporter
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok i got the ac completely out and started with the basic stuff. when i pulled the fender shrouds there is a blue loom in each that go to a black box. i'm guessing crash sensors.

am i right?

·
CR.net Supporter
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
does anybody have pics of the canister bypass kinda scared to just plug stuff together. and with the radiator overflow someone said they ran theirs to a part of the frame? pics!

·
Registered
144 Posts
does anybody have pics of the canister bypass kinda scared to just plug stuff together. and with the radiator overflow someone said they ran theirs to a part of the frame? pics!
Uh? Seriously stop being a pansy and take the fecking thing off, it's bloody obvious what you need to do when you remove the cannister.

·
CR.net Supporter
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
CR.net Supporter
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Yea, anyone else chuck the overflow reservior? Im thinking of just taking the hose and zip tying it pointing toward the ground. Also What are these two electrical pluggs that are on the left side of the engine right below the fuse box? Are they related to the charcoal canister? Necissary?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yea, anyone else chuck the overflow reservior? Im thinking of just taking the hose and zip tying it pointing toward the ground. Also What are these two electrical pluggs that are on the left side of the engine right below the fuse box? Are they related to the charcoal canister? Necissary?
Charcoal cannister and 1.6 Ignitors, so if you've a 1.6 you need the latter ;) (unless you're running a TEC ECU ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts