ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Re: Steaing a miata

I'll refrain from posting how I figured out how to break into a zip up windowed miata. Needless to say that ain't it.

·
Registered
339 Posts

seriously though, anyone that has had a zipper window top knows how easy it is to open it when you accidentally lock you keys in your car (yeah, I've done it.) They could have done that and had the top down and the car alarm probably wouldn't have even gone off.

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
and this is why I love my hardtop
you wish............ back in 1999ish some punk kids tryed to steal my 1991 Miata AKA Booger right out of my driveway, I had a hardtop on her and they just busted out the little corner window, and unlocked the door. #-o

They must have been rookies because they attempted to steal the stock radio w/CD player, hahahaha but couldnt figure out how to get it out. But they did manage to trash it in the process.

They never messed with the ignition (thank god) but even if they had tryed the car wouldnt move because the battery was out of the car and in my garage because it was on the trickle charger. :twisted: Of course if the battery was in the motion detector would have went off. #-o

When i talked with the Sheriff writing up the report he said it was gang related as there was over 25 cars that had their stereos stolen that night here in Brandon, FL. And my neighbor 2 houses down that had an old Nissan with lots of bass lost about $5K in stereo equipment. :shock: guess i got lucky my stereo was stock.

Theives suck :evil:

PhatMiata

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts

I know this car, and know the owner. This breakin happened a few years back. Not sure he's actually given permission for this video to be shown in this way.

Getting into a MX5 isn't the best way for a smash n grab thief. It takes too long. For a start, the zip can bind up if you attempt to undo it from the outside; it has a locking mechanism. Then, once you've gotten the window, open, you've got to get into the car. So you have to be sufficently dextrous to sliver in between the seats, and somehow get into the seats.

Or if you are sme sort of delinquent 15 year old, you say sod that, and just take a knife to the roof. Or another way is to punch out the door lock; wrench out the handle if necessary. Remember, they either want the car for the radio or just to race it around a bit, the fate that befell my first Roadster, whcih went from this:

to this in 20 minutes (about the length of time they had the car for)

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts

seriously though, anyone that has had a zipper window top knows how easy it is to open it when you accidentally lock you keys in your car (yeah, I've done it.) They could have done that and had the top down and the car alarm probably wouldn't have even gone off.
Nah, not with this car. Alarm was way too sophisticated.

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
and this is why I love my hardtop
you wish............ back in 1999ish some punk kids tryed to steal my 1991 Miata AKA Booger right out of my driveway, I had a hardtop on her and they just busted out the little corner window, and unlocked the door. #-o

PhatMiata
A few years ago, there was a spate of hardtop thefts in the UK; the cars were left alone, but the tops taken. Easy to sell on. I have also been told on good authority they were stolen to ordr.

One poor owner came back from a weekend away, to find his roofgone, and his car full of water. His neighbours thought he had just left his roof down and didn't do a thing.

As a result, I got together with Dave at SFT, and helped come up with the hardtop locking plate:
http://www.jagspares.co.uk/MX5/partdetail.asp?partno=SFT1051

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
since theres no pics or description, what is the hardtop locking plate, replacement latch assemblies with locks?

I cant watch the video above cause Im at work, but I would think that a video showing how to break into a car would be removed from youtube if you just sent them an email.

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
since theres no pics or description, what is the hardtop locking plate, replacement latch assemblies with locks?

I cant watch the video above cause Im at work, but I would think that a video showing how to break into a car would be removed from youtube if you just sent them an email.

They're now being made in powdercoated steel, not stainless steel.

·
Registered
38 Posts
That is why my alarm is set on the most sensitive setting, walking by my car makes it chirp, lol.

·
CR.net Supporter
2,964 Posts
Just watched that video and that pissed me the [email protected]#$ off!!! I would put that person within one inch of death. :twisted:

Those locking plates would be ideal for my hardtop.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts