ClubRoadster.net banner

Stealth97's Custom Console (Finally done! updated)

4K views 45 replies 13 participants last post by  emmi 
#1 ·
I was not going to post this yet, but It's nice to have more discussion here :).

First of all, I got this Idea because I use a Griffin Powermate, which is a big polished aluminum knob that I use for volume control, song selection, and other stuff (my "system" is a carputer) and it fit in the cup hollder, but I got tired of it flopping around. I also liked the look of tha Nakame consoles with the round shift ring. At first, thats what I wanted so I was going to make a completeley new piece out of fiberglass, then I ended up getting a free console and decided I could use the storage space, so here's the rundown:

1. Cut in half, stretched and flush mounted cupholder. Why? It got in the way of shifting, and it was a perfect spot for my powermate and BT headset. I will add plastic or aluminum "floors" to the cuphoders for that purpose. I used plastic welding adhesive for the structural stuff, and then bondo to fill the gaps.

2. filled console lock holes, and console lid rod holes with plastic weld adhesive... these were cheezey in the first place...

3.. As mentioned Cobra shift ring and boot. I thought it was cool here because I used "all mazda" plastic here (from past projects, etc) to fill in the gaps. Its still all mazda, but not that that matters anyway, lol

Link to pics: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mx5tuner/album?.dir=f417re2

See less See more
#4 ·
I'd like to do leather, but Im going to settle for a red leather lid, and the rest will be piano black... as I plan to de-tan my car and go for sort of a 93le look...

I have not decided If I will do the final paint or have a body shop do it.

#6 ·
Hey that was my console!
Good to see it getting used for something.
Yap! I meant to PM you about it, but I guess it slipped my mind.

I primed and sanded it once more, added a coat of glazing putty to any small cracks that showed up (primer exagerates any imporfections) and then it will be ready for some paint.

#11 ·
yes. Ran good for about 8 months and started shredding belts all of a sudden...two in just as many days. I just have to play with shims and angled pullies, and other band-aids that seem to be common to FI... makes IRTBs look better every day..

#14 ·
I made some more progress today.

After I posted those first pics. I was beginning to worry, as the primer shows ALL of the imperfections and small hairline cracks were poping up around everything that was bonded in. to I block sanded it down w/400 grit, spot puttied those areas, sanded, and then primed again... after sanding those cracks were gone.

I spot puttied a few more problem spots, after another block sanding and primer, and block sanding again the piece should be ready for paint.

and the car: I fired it up, but cant drive it with a broken throttle cable.. but I cracked the throttle body open a few times and the throttle response was nice :)

#15 ·
Finally finished. Click the link in the first post to see it installed.

The only thing I dont like about it is it is so nice it makes the rest of my interor look like crap.

#18 ·
Sweet, the only think that I didn't like was the shift light...but again it's just me :)
Sweet ride Stealth!
(Not that I didn't know since I'm visiting your website regularly :))
I'm sorry to hear about all these problems with the JRSC, I have mine for 3 months only and I have no issues at all (Knock wood :))

#19 ·
Sweet, the only think that I didn't like was the shift light...but again it's just me :)
Sweet ride Stealth!
(Not that I didn't know since I'm visiting your website regularly :))
I'm sorry to hear about all these problems with the JRSC, I have mine for 3 months only and I have no issues at all (Knock wood :))
The shift light is junk. I thought it would be usefull to keep from banging the limiter when on the n20, but It just stopped working after awhile... I may get the pivot one...dunno.

As for the JRSC, I really like the car N/A... It just feels right. I will, however start looking for another nitrous kit soon, but I want to do something about the carpet and seats first.

Thanks for the positive comments. Im really liking it myself, but I have to remember to keep all my fingers on the shift knob to keep them from getting pinched (ouch!) I may re-do the upper console as well... I just havent decided.

#21 ·
I don't remember making these posts!

#22 ·
One thing that shocks me is just how subtle the mod looks. You wouldn't notice the flush cupholder or covered lock holes if they weren't pointed out. The Carputer screen grabs your attention a lot quicker! Good DIY mods are like that, though :)

Just out of curiousity, did you disable your in-cockpit trunk release?

EDIT: I didn't realize the c.o.c.k. in "c o c kpit" was filtered #-o

#23 ·
trunk release is not disabled... Its the only way I can get in there.

The carputer screen does stand out. I was going to spray it black, but If I did that I may as well repaint the bezel... If I did that I may as well get a new bezel and recess the monitor back a bit... The madness never ends!

subtlety is what Im going for... If you dont know anything about miatas, and mistake it for a factory piece... then I know I've done my job in the quality control department.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.