ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: A '95 R package with Bilstein shocks and H&R springs w/ SportMax002 15x8s 0 offset.

When I'm driving, everything is normally pretty smooth until I hit about 75 or 80 mph, and then I get a very noticeable shake/shudder in the steering wheel. If I let go of the wheel, the car drives completely straight, but you can literally watch the steering wheel shake back and forth in about an 1" swath. At lesser speeds, you can still feel the vibration in the wheel, but it's very subtle.
And I do not have power steering of course.
I have had the alignment checked, and even had the tires rebalanced and rotated. No help.

Any ideas?
I'm no physics wizard, but I'm wondering if the larger locking lugs are causing the problem...

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
im having the same issue on my black 97. i did everything that youve done and I still have the damn problem

·
Garage Quinn Motors - GQM
2,847 Posts
Are your tires balanced improperly? Possibly flat spotted?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
It's been an issue with my '96 since purchase 11 years ago. Several tires, wheels, et cetera later, it's still there. I just tend to cruise at a sweet spot where it's least violent.

If you search mf for "65 mph shimmy" you'll most likely see stupid amounts of discussion. Some people have reported some results from adding a STB.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im having the same issue on my black 97. i did everything that youve done and I still have the damn problem
My mom's 97 STO doesn't have this issue, so I'm confused.

it does it on my 94. but doesn't with the hard top.
Does it with and without the hardtop...

Are your tires balanced improperly? Possibly flat spotted?
Checked. And checked. Everything came out great.

It's been an issue with my '96 since purchase 11 years ago. Several tires, wheels, et cetera later, it's still there. I just tend to cruise at a sweet spot where it's least violent.

If you search mf for "65 mph shimmy" you'll most likely see stupid amounts of discussion. Some people have reported some results from adding a STB.
Yeah, I found that just after I posted here. I guess I'll try that getting an STB at some point. Been eyeing one of the triangular ones that bolts to the firewall and to the towers anyway.

·
Whiskey makes me Frisky
4,545 Posts
Yeah, mine does it on my 99. there is a sweetspot at about 68 where it doesnt but starts up again till you get over 75. I normally keep it around 60-65 anyways as I always have the top down and like to be able to hear myself think.

Mine also varies on wind conditions and road surface too.

·
OG Member
583 Posts
This has been a constant problem for me as well. I have 002's also. I have Roadforce balanced the tires, on 2 different sets of rims (numerous times on the first set of 17's, the tire place hated me!), and it still remains. I have a STB as well which did not correct the problem, only change which speed the vibration starts. Once I hit 80 it's all good!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
yes I have a similar problem. bracing has only moved the point at which the shimmy begins from the dreaded 65, to around 70-75mph. After around 80mph it pretty much goes away....

drives me nuts!

·
CR.net Supporter
1,138 Posts
Strange, I don't experience this in my 97. I had a bad vibration at 65mph, but then installed and balanced new tires, and it went away. I figured it was just a balancing issue.

Are your tie rods worn out?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I only noticed it in my miata after I depowered my steering. My VW and my FC both did it to, I just assumed it was a function of not having powersteering to dampen it...

doesnt bother me at all. actually didnt really notice it until my friend pointed it out to me... I assume mine is amplified by the low offset wheels and lowering but even so its not really an issue for me.

·
CR.net Supporter
1,138 Posts
Haha, assuming isn't good enough. Just in case you're wondering, here's how to check:

Jack the car up on the pinch weld, then grab the wheel and tire at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock. Shake lightly back and forth. If there is any slop or play before it translates to the steering your tie rods need to be replaced. There are inner and outer tie rods - usually outer tie rods go out before inners.

While you've got it up, check the ball joints by grabbing at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock and doing the same.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Welcome to the world of the "Shimmy" very common problem. If you can find some extra wheels (AKA stock honda wheels, mr2 wheels, etc.) you might try running those just to see if it that will fix it. You may have a bent rem, I had the same problem when I got a tire that had some fix-a-flat in it. I have never heard of a direct cure for that problem, most people just deal with it. But you are not alone.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I assume it doesnt bother me. lol
so I assume its cool. I also assumed a check of those componenets last time I had the car up on stands in april. I assume my asssssumptions are ok for me

when you assume you make and "ass" out of "u" AND "me", isnt that clever? I assume so.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've also checked those components, everything is fine. Nothing unordinary about the rims or tires either. It doesn't really bother me too much, I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't some major issue that was going to form out of this or that I was overlooking something important!

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
a lot of times it is tire balance.

Are the tires balanced with weights on both the inside and outside of the rim? A lot of people like to balance alloy wheels with weights on the inside of the rim only for cosmetic reasons. This is EXTREMELY RETARDED. Weights need to go on both the inside and outside of the rim to achieve a perfect balance.

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts
how do you deal with the ugliness on the front of the wheel? I don't think I've ever seen a nice fat lip wheel with wheel weights on the outer side.

It's harder to balance with weights on the inside, but not impossible.

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
Function is more important than looks in my book!

My current set of rims balance fine with weights on the inside (the tech promised me he would rebalance it if it came out bad), but my previous 2 sets had weights on both inside and outside.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts