ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Supporting Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm thinking of maybe getting a Momo Mod78. Does anyone have any opinions on suede or leather? Would the wheel be good for daily driving without gloves?

I'm not really knowledgeable about steering wheels (I probably need to find a local shop that will let me hold them) but it seems like most tracks cars use wheels like the mod78 as opposed to something that probably looks a little more stylish like the prototipo or the nardi classic. Any reason why that is?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Having seen some nasty suede wheels, I kinda have the same dilemma - The Model 78's 330mm size is what I want (I think) but the suede will get gross in my sweaty paws (dried-out, smoothes over at wear points, etc.).

Unfortunately, the leather Monte Carlo only comes in 350mm (a bit big?) and 320mm (too small). I've heard there's a leather option on the Model 78 now though, which might be the best choice given the street use my car sees.

·
Supporting Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Having seen some nasty suede wheels, I kinda have the same dilemma - The Model 78's 330mm size is what I want (I think) but the suede will get gross in my sweaty paws (dried-out, smoothes over at wear points, etc.).

Unfortunately, the leather Monte Carlo only comes in 350mm (a bit big?) and 320mm (too small). I've heard there's a leather option on the Model 78 now though, which might be the best choice given the street use my car sees.
Thanks for the feedback. Yea, Mod78 definitely has a leather option now. I think I might go for the 350mm since that is actually closer to the stock diameter of the wheel (which is just over 360mm from what I remember).

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
I much prefer leather. I've only sampled a few suede wheels as an autocross ride slut, but I've never liked a single one. All 5 of the wheels in my current collection are leather.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have a OMP corsica, been using it for almost a year. The suede is worn quite a bit where my hand rests, but I'm not sure if I would buy leather or suede if I had to do it again. Suede feels like titties. And by worn down I mean like flattened out and how suede wears when exposed to the oils in your hand.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i need a wheel that wont stick to my hand when my hands get sweaty from driving hard.

·
Registered
388 Posts
suede or leather? Would the wheel be good for daily driving without gloves?
the oils of your hands and what not will wear suede away within a year or so of DD.. i'd get leather - it will wear much better.. but i always prefer woodgrain wheels. grippy in all conditions and bad ass. i have a personal and a momo wood grain. there's lots of really neat ones out there too. Momo Safari is cool too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I "smoothed out" a mod 78 in 2 months. maybe my hands sweat more than others...( it was the summer)

there is no better shaped wheel in my opinion though....so try for a leather version.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts