ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Mufasa in Training
32,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm starting to shop for a steering wheel to replace/compliment Junior's 330mm Nardi Classico. Definitely gotta be something simple...thinking leather, maybe suede.

My top choices are the 330mm Leather Classico:

Momo Monte Carlo (not sure which size...350 or 320...):

Anyone else have any other suggestions? Thanks for your help!

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
I think the Classico rules on your car but if you must change then I really like the Monte Carlo. It's been around for years for good reason: it is one of the most comfortable steering wheels I've ever used. The leather quality and shape of the hand grips is far superior to my Mazdaspeed wheel (which is better than all other round Mazdaspeed wheels). I also like the look of the leather classico. Why you giving up the wood?

·
Mufasa in Training
32,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't want to give up the Classico...just that the wood is not as nice to grip when I really am in a hurry. Hand slips if I'm not using the spokes sometimes. I want to keep the Classico, but have something to put on for autocrosses, and just whenever I feel like something different.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any other suggestions? I'm sure there are plenty of wheels like these. Does Sparco make any?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Sparco does make some wheels but they are pretty much Momos...

Get a nardi classico. I LOVE mine. 360mm here.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd like to have a black spoked Classico, but I need a small wheel to clear my legs, and they don't make one in 330mm, IIRC.

·
Registered
75 Posts
perfect timing... :) i'm looking at the momo monte carlo. question is, do any of you know how much closer the wheel will be compared with stock if i use the momo hub?

i supposed i'd have to measure the stock distance and then get some dimensions on the monte carlo and on the hub...

kepani-who likes the nardis too...hmm...

·
Registered
239 Posts
ebay! get any steering wheel you want, or at least similar for really cheap! i bought a wheel, quick release, and mazda hub for around $130. it brings the wheel to that perfect spot where its not in your chest, but you're not reaching out to grab it.

steering wheels all do the same thing, its not like a sparco or momo will make your car turn any better. your money can be spent better elsewhere imho. if you're getting a spendy wheel just for the horn button... you can also buy those seperate and put it on your budget wheel.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm looking for better feel than my Classico (which I got off of eBay for $88!). Just trying to figure out which of the bunch has a better feel.

·
Registered
75 Posts
if you get a 330mm or 320mm wheel, you see increase wheel effort, but at the same time, increased feedback and road feel. that's what i'm looking for...

i noticed that momo doesn't have any "airbag light removal" hubs. does anyone know how to turn the airbag light off?

·
Mufasa in Training
32,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol...I already have a 330! I know how it feels! This is more about having a different wheel of different rim thickness and material.

Kepani...I hate to be a ****, but could you ask your questions in a different thread? It's not the same topic as what I'm asking about.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's ok...just seems like you're asking about something different than I am. Best way to get your questions answered is to ask them clearly (ie in a new topic, where you don't have to read through other posts to get to your ideas).

Again...not trying to be mean...just a way to help us both out :)

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
I'm a traditionalist. I think the Monte Carlo looks perfect in everything from an A1 Rabbit GTI to a EK Honda Civic to a NA Mazda Miata. It's simple, works very well, is supremely comfortable, and is timeless in appearance. When I look at the $395 Spoon Sports steering wheel I see a $145 Momo Monte Carlo steering wheel. There's a good reason why Spoon Sports chose to copy it.

Spoon

Monte Carlo

·
Mufasa in Training
32,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How thick are the spokes on the Monte? It looks the part, but I am really wanting something different more for feel than looks (though the "tuner" wheels make me wanna puke...).

Edit: I meant to say "how thick is *the wheel*" not "the spokes"...

·
Registered
32 Posts
freedomgli, its not that spoon copied it, they just rebadged it. Momo does make the wheel for them.(..and Desmond does make the sw388 wheels for them)

I have had a Monte Carlo, suede Sparco ring, Mugen N1, some discontinued JDM Nardi with horn pad, and a OMP 300mm.

My only gripe with suede is that it is slippery unless you are wearing suede gloves as well.

vicious-s, The cheap Ebay wheels are garbage and yes I have held them in my hands. They are soft enough to bend in your hand. I would not want to use that thing to control my car. Steering wheel and seats is something I do not want to cheap out on when I am building a car.
Only OEM or FIA certified stuff for me.

-bc

1 - 20 of 49 Posts