ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know whether the stock NB 6 speed is the same as the MazdaSpeed Miata 6 speed gearbox? Has anyone checked if the part numbers are the same?
I have my engine/tranny out of the car while building my stroker and I'm thinking that it might be a good idea to replace my second 5 speed before it breaks.
I can find 6 speeds for $500 but the ones from MSM usually run a bit more (~$700). Is there a reason for me to specifically look for an MSM 6 speed?

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
there isnt any proof but people say the mazdaspeed transmission was a cryo treated gear set But there has been no proof on either side of the arguement.

i think you would be just fine with the 6 speed from the normal car

·
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good info, thank you!
I'll go with the MSM 6-speed - breaking gearboxes sucks so the tougher the better!

·
Registered
465 Posts
MSM 6-speed has shot-peened gears from what I recall from the brochure.

·
Banned
607 Posts
^this... basically means the gears were shot with metal pellets, so the surface is compressed, to prevent stress cracks from starting on the surface.

msm 6spd is very finicky to shift, miataroadsters short shifter is highly recommended.

·
Administrator
15,606 Posts
are the s2000 trannies compatible with 6 speeds? I heard all you need to do is swap the bellhousing
The S2000 uses a very similar diff to the MSM... but i haven't heard anything about the trans itself being the same.

If there's truth behind your statement, i'd be very interested in hearing more, as i think my MSM trans shifts like absolute horseshit.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
The S2000 uses a very similar diff to the MSM... but i haven't heard anything about the trans itself being the same.

If there's truth behind your statement, i'd be very interested in hearing more, as i think my MSM trans shifts like absolute horseshit.
I may be wrong but consider this. The 6speed tranny is made by Aisin an independent company that also make transmissions for Toyota cars. If that is a case, search for other cars with the same "brand"transmissions but with different bellhousing. Soon or later you'll find out an answer. If yes, let me know

·
Administrator
15,606 Posts
I may be wrong but consider this. The 6speed tranny is made by Aisin an independent company that also make transmissions for Toyota cars. If that is a case, search for other cars with the same "brand"transmissions but with different bellhousing. Soon or later you'll find out an answer. If yes, let me know
If it's the same trans, then why would an S2000 shift so well, but the MSM shift so badly?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts