ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Yeah, big bust is true. I was there. I was actually coming out of the movie theatre, and just then everything happened...first all of the "racers" came in, then cops and DOT vehicles swarmed the place and blocked everything off. There was even a helicopter circling the place and guys with news cameras everywhere. Cops were going around with lists of license plates and checked every car that even looked slightly modded, me included. My guess is that there was at least one undercover cop at the races, reading off plates to someone else over a radio or cellphone.

A little overkill if you ask me, there are much more important issues in this city that need police work. I am, however, hoping that since some of the impounded cars were found to have stolen parts or equipment in them, that the police made found some leads related to all of the theft going on, including my car being broken into last week.

That last picture of the white Mustang, looks to be a 95 or 96 or so...that car sounded naaaaaasty!

·
Premium Member
9,430 Posts
Overkill nothing. I'm tired of these asshats causing trouble in my sttreets. If you wanna race, take it to the track. Don't go endangering my life with your little "games." I've lost a friend to street racing, and he wasn't even in a car. He was an innocent bystander waiting to cross the street when someone lost control of their car and sideswiped him into a utility pole. Serves them right to get ticketed. Illegal is illegal no matter how you try and argue against it.

·
Mufasa in Training
33,632 Posts
Yeah, big bust is true. I was there. I was actually coming out of the movie theatre, and just then everything happened...first all of the "racers" came in, then cops and DOT vehicles swarmed the place and blocked everything off. There was even a helicopter circling the place and guys with news cameras everywhere. Cops were going around with lists of license plates and checked every car that even looked slightly modded, me included. My guess is that there was at least one undercover cop at the races, reading off plates to someone else over a radio or cellphone.

A little overkill if you ask me, there are much more important issues in this city that need police work. I am, however, hoping that since some of the impounded cars were found to have stolen parts or equipment in them, that the police made found some leads related to all of the theft going on, including my car being broken into last week.

That last picture of the white Mustang, looks to be a 95 or 96 or so...that car sounded naaaaaasty!
Did you get your car back?

·
Registered
971 Posts
CMPD towed a few cars, I don't think his was one of them.
One BIG problem with the area is that there is no place for tuners to race. The city annexed the Shuffletown area and closed the drag strip. Mooresville and Rockingham have races, but I'm not sure how far the racers are willing to travel.
I've been trying to promote AX on the Imports NC board, a few have come out to our events, but not many.
It's funny, the news, government and police make it sound like street racing is a new thing... my dad has told me stories about drag racing his mothers old Ford on the back roads in eastern NC, late 50s, early 60s. As long as people have cars, some will want to race. If you don't have an easily accessible place to do it legally, they'll find someplace.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
hmm i would have been their, had i not been wasted at a party not 5 minutes away. :-D boy do i love greygoose. kept me outta trouble that night.
Grey Goose keeping someone out of trouble? Dude, Brad, call the manufacturers and maybe they'll publish your 'success story' on a bottle of liqour :lol:

No, my car was not impounded because I just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time...I just got of a movie (Borat...funny as hell, btw!) My car wasn't stolen, either, but it was broken into....I was just curious if there's any connection between the people that stole my CD player and sub and amp and some of the stolen goods found in some of the impounded cars.

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
Yep, throw the book at them if they're street racing. Just keep things in check so that there isn't rampant harrassment of those who DO tune their cars but DON'T drive like idiots on the street.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Big bust is right! I say job well done to all of the law enforcement agencies involved.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Overkill nothing. I'm tired of these asshats causing trouble in my sttreets. If you wanna race, take it to the track. Don't go endangering my life with your little "games." Serves them right to get ticketed. Illegal is illegal no matter how you try and argue against it.

I could not agree more [-X

·
2,708 Posts
People still street race? That's like, sooooooo 1999,lol.

Yup, throw them the book. I was one of them in 1998 and I stopped after a sting operation and over $3000 in fines.

I'm sure there's a few small gatherings here and there, but its NOTHING like it used to be, I'm talking about 200+cars lined up watching and waiting to race and even more spectators, it was NUTS. What really killed street racing, IMO, was the law the state enacted that prosecuted bystanders also. That worked.

·
Registered
239 Posts
ZIP TIES?
There not cops there undercover drifters,haha JK
:D :mrgreen:
LOL thats hilarious.

i just hope that the folks who don't race don't get cited or their cars impounded. every now and again i hang out with the car folks, and they go out racing. so far the cops haven't bothered us, but i have a feeling that they will someday... and i don't want to be punished for socializing with people with similar interests.

other than that, i agree that streetracing is dumb. but i also agree that as long as there are cars, people are going to race illegally.

·
Premium Member
9,430 Posts
I almost got ticketed for it once, but I knew one of the cops who was handing out citations and he knew i wasn't stupid enough to race. He usually came and hung out when he was off-duty to check out all the cars that showed up. Usually there was a group that met up openly who just were there to show off and another group that wandered off to go race and then come back. They did the sting right after the racers came back and were ticketing them for racing, and anyone else in the lot for illegal mods. Good thing the only mod I had done to my Teg was to replace my headlights with ones that worked :lol:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Overkill nothing. I'm tired of these asshats causing trouble in my sttreets. If you wanna race, take it to the track. Don't go endangering my life with your little "games." I've lost a friend to street racing, and he wasn't even in a car. He was an innocent bystander waiting to cross the street when someone lost control of their car and sideswiped him into a utility pole. Serves them right to get ticketed. Illegal is illegal no matter how you try and argue against it.

i dont know if you really need to take it that far. I understand the loss of your friend, I have lost one to street racing also. It is overkill, what they should be worrying about is the drugs on the street, rather than a sting on street racing.

I would feel you if they are racing on your street, but where I grew up, we stayed away from housing areas. It was really kept to desolate areas, warehousing districts and what not. If someone dies while street racing, their life is in their own hands. I personally don't condone or nay-say street racing. Its part of the car culture.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Like they say on COPS, "All suspects are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law." Even LUV2TURN can't say for sure exactly how/why it went down the way it did. Please give the cops and the alleged street racers the benefit of the doubt and be mindful of the name calling. The law exists to both protect and punish and it's good to be reminded of the consequences of street racing now and again but quite frankly this is a nightly occurrence all across America. Because this is a hot button issue please everyone be cool and stay out of trouble.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts