ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, seriously, all joking aside:

http://www.10news.com/news/10801860/detail.html

I know we see this all the time and way too often. The passenger who died was the younger sister of a college buddy of mine.

:cry:

A painful reminder. Yet people never seem to learn. Or maybe we do, but then a younger crop of kids need to learn again. And then once they do, another crop of kids need to learn it too. A vicious cycle.

Sorry, I'm such a buzzkill.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Sad deal... Maybe they need to make a new even more disgusting Red Asphalt.

·
Brah.
7,484 Posts
my friends street race and i hate being there because i am afraid of crap like that happening....ohh well i guess they wont be street racing anymore.

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
I feel there is a big difference between a 'street' race and an 'empty industrial lot' race. The former is obviously very bad and should never be condoned.

The latter is not so bad, but unfortunately got lumped in with 'street racing' because people are too lazy to use the term 'empty industrial lot racing'. :p :p

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
It would not happen if there were more racetracks around. If there was a dragstrip close to me I'd probably be living there.

·
Banned
1,330 Posts
I feel there is a big difference between a 'street' race and an 'empty industrial lot' race. The former is obviously very bad and should never be condoned.

The latter is not so bad, but unfortunately got lumped in with 'street racing' because people are too lazy to use the term 'empty industrial lot racing'. :p :p
That attitude is what makes it "ok" to do the stuff that gets people killed.

All or nothing... no in between.

The only stickers to ever grace my last build...
Take It To The Track
Enthusiasts against street racing

·
Registered
118 Posts
man it sucks ....
i tried not to race anybody on the street.
if i can smoke everybody in 2 second there wont be racing, it will be pure ownage ~~~

·
Registered
402 Posts
I don't want to condone street racing here, but we all know this kind of stuff used to happen back in the Muscle Car days. Why was it not as publicized back then? I hear stories about how the police used to issue warnings, let people off, and even shoot the **** with them about the cars. Now it's just "Street race and go to jail for 278327489234 years and watch your car get torched, rebuilt, and re-torched."

·
2,708 Posts

That attitude is what makes it "ok" to do the stuff that gets people killed.

All or nothing... no in between.

The only stickers to ever grace my last build...
Take It To The Track
Enthusiasts against street racing
I'd have to respectfully disagree.

When I started the "empty industrial lot racing" phase, it was a group of maybe 10-15 people, close friends meeting up with liked-minded enthusiasts at midnight or later to race. It was fun, and it was safe. Cops and lot-security didn't even mind when we met up at the local gas station or parking lot, as long as no one did anything stupid like blast their stereos or do burnouts. When word got around was when things got NUTS, during it's peak, there would be around 200 going from spot to spot along Mira Mesa BlV. Only the idiots raced on the main streets. Then the cars would all line up at the Firehouse (famous san diego spot) up along the side to watch or lined up to race. Of course, only about 10-15 of those cars actually raced, all the rest were posers or just wanted to watch. It funny cause the cars that actually raced were beat-up looking and the ones that just cruised were the Veilside crowd.

There is a safe way of doing but unfortunately, a few bad apples ruined it for everybody.

Splittime, I've seen you posting on H-T many times, 95% of the people on that board (no disrespect to you personally) basically ruined it for the rest of us, which is why I hardly post on there anymore.

·
Registered
201 Posts
as long as there is kids getting cars, there will always be street racing. and there will always be accidents.
it sucks balls.
We all know this huge crack down on street racing was the Fast and the Furious. This highly funded main stream film makes street racers look like a bunch of punks who don't care about life and run around causing havok like a bunch of thugs. It ain't like anyone with a modded car is a Hell's Angel (for those who get the analogy).

Look at old car films and shows, they are a whole lot worse. Take Duke's of Hazard for example, you can't tell me that had no effect of your parents or someone else's when they had a modded car. The problem is both the media and the gross majority of the population. The media for wrongfully depicted everything and the public for believing all the bullshit they see in movies.

It's not just the kids. I used to hang out with an older group of guys with families and such that race. It's a passion and a dangerous hobby but there is honestly no way to keep people from doing what they love to do. **** one of the guys was even a doctor with a wife and two kids. We would go run in his 500 hp Shelby Cobra kit car or one of his STI's.

I used to hang out on the street alot. I don't as much now cause I know it is dangerous and stupid. However, I do get the itch every now and then and go to the races out here. They are not as dangerous where I go as to where the dumb people go. We go out to an industrial road that they have been racing for over a decade. The stupid people race wherever and whenever. There are fools in ferrari's and lamborghini's street racing here, so I seriously doubt they are kids.

Yes, building drag strips and various other tracks would help but it's never gonna stop. The tracks can't be open 24 hours a day. The will to drive can be there forever.

Sorry, I'm off my rant now. I did a research paper on this topic and issued proposal's to several car dealers and auto places to build tracks. I don't condone street racing either, but if you are gonna do it you can atleast be smart about and do it some where open and secluded where there is less of a chance of wrecking. None of this drag racing down an isle of people like you see on the stupid videos such as the properly named "Wreckless Endangerment".

·
Registered
402 Posts
If you use the public's definition of "street race", I don't do it. I know kids who do, and if I wanted to I could go join up with a race, but I've never felt the urge. My car's too slow, and I don't think I'd have much fun standing around with a bunch of posers while a couple kids beat on their parents' sports cars.

Having said that, how many of us can honestly say that they've never participated in a speed contest with another car in a place they probably shouldn't have? For instance, I merged onto the highway a few weeks ago in my car just after midnight. The highway I'm talking about is 4 lanes wide in each direction with a banked, barriered divider and wide shoulders on each side. I've been north of 140mph on this particular highway in similar conditions and felt very comfortable. I looked behind me, and about 10 lengths back there was a set of headlights with fogs below it. I know that cops never run fogs, and I couldn't see anyone in front of me, and I was feeling frisky, so I dropped it into 4th at about 85mph and opened the taps. I rang it out to about 105mph, and I checked my mirror. I noticed, to my surprise, that the headlights behind me were not falling back. I slowed to about 90, and a black E36 M3 with a tasteful exhaust pulls up next to me. I look over at him, look ahead, and there are still no cars in front, and so I drop it into 4th again and mat the throttle. I hear him stay in 5th and do the same, and we both pull even up to about 105. I lift there, give him a wave, and we both continue on our way.

If you want to get hardcore, that would technically be street racing, yes. There is, however, that grey area. So Splitime, I have to disagree with your view that it's an all or nothing thing. I'm a big track enthusiast, and I hate seeing people bombing through traffic, but when it's just you, on an empty highway, with no traffic in front or behind you and sound walls to either side, I really can't see too many variations from a sanctioned drag strip.

At the same time, it is a slippery slope. Open highway runs are OK, so why aren't open city street runs OK? It's not the kind of can of worms I feel needs to be opened. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that while I don't condone street racing, there is a time and a place for most anything.

·
3,857 Posts
was it an M3?

·
Registered
514 Posts
It would not happen if there were more racetracks around. If there was a dragstrip close to me I'd probably be living there.
+1 for that comment. I would be all over the track if there was a local one that had Open track days. I live about 3 miles from Dover International Speedway aka. Monster Mile. They dont have open track days or anything, I think they should, would somwhat keep stuff like this from happening IMO.

-Jeremy

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
how many of us speed on a regular basis? have a personal time trial on the way home from work or school, a "spirited drive" on backroads? my point is of course there are grey areas of what one would consider street racing. The conclusion to speed or not on a given day because you think it is safe or not safe is just a rationalization. It's always more dangerous to drive fast than slow. Similarly its always dangerous to race, track or street. An industrial lot I think everyone would agree sounds a whole lot better than a 30mph suburban street. I suppose if all the drivers had a cage and a helmet and no one parked along side the strip it would be comparable to a track. But if they're all there to race and there are no bystanders I say let them take their life in their own hands.

·
Registered
249 Posts
A 17 and 18 year old died this past week in the metroplex driving a modded 350Z. There is a drag strip near the area, I think testosterone got the best of them. Hit a tree going sideways. It's always sad to see, but we all take the risk everytime we drive.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts