ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just recently switched out my stock steering wheel for an NRG short hub/QR with a Sparco 320mm Steering wheel. However, the first thing I noticed after the installation was that the turn signals were blinking noticably faster than normal. Soon after, when I went to turn off the headlights, they ended up stuck in the "up" position, even after double checking behind the tombstone to see if the headlight pop-up switch was plugged in.

I did some research and found that one of the ways the headlights get stuck is if the turn signal module is broken. Could I have possibly broken it or messed something up when installing my wheel? Maybe I cut a wrong wire?

Also, when installing the hub, I trimmed all the wires from the airbag module (orange or blue, I forget), and wrapped it around the hub. The other set of wires, which I suspect was for the horn, were retained. However, now when I try and plug in the horn button on the steering wheel side, as soon as I touch it to any "ground" the horn stays on even if I'm not pressing it. If it means anything, the sparco horn button is weird in that it has two "male" attachments, whereas the wiring coming from the NRG hub has one female and one male wire to attach to the horn.

So pretty much I'm left with three issues:
-Headlights are stuck open even when off
-Fast blinker
-Horn stays on when I try wiring it.

Are any of these issues that are familiar to you guys? Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated..thank you very much!

-Kris

·
Registered
365 Posts
Did you ever figure this out? I just had the exact same scenario happen to me during a steering wheel install.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I realize this is an old thread, but since it was bumped...

What year Miata are we dealing with? I assume this is a US-market car and not Canadian or other, correct?

When I installed the NRG short hub in my 1997, it was pretty straightforward.

- Remove the copper contact plate from backside of hub.
- Remove stock airbag and wheel.
- Snip off the tip of the clockspring wiring protector tower thing, zip tie the wires against the tower to keep them somewhat secure/protected.
- De-pin airbag connectors, connect resistor in place, insulate and tuck into backside of hub.
- Bring the horn wire through the hub opening, align hub, torque the nut to spec.
* There are now two wires for the horn-- Your power from the clockspring and the ground wire which is screwed to the hub. *

I was also installed a WorksBell quick disconnect, so the next steps may differ from your install.
- Connect horn and ground wires to terminals on disconnect base.
- Align and bolt disconnect base to hub.
- Align and bolt steering wheel to disconnect.
- Attach horn wires to horn contacts, install horn into wheel.

General advice (aka Things to be on the lookout for):
- Don't over-torque the hub nut.
- Be sure that all wires are properly insulated to avoid short circuits.
- Don't pinch any wires between the hub and clockspring or the wheel and hub as you are bolting it all down.
- Be sure to connect the horn power wire to the correct terminal on the horn button and not to ground (or else your horn will blow nonstop). Depending on the horn button design, be sure to connect the ground terminal, or else your horn may not work.
- If you are not using a spacer or disconnect, be sure that there is sufficient backspacing for your horn button! The NRG short hub does not really leave any room on the backside of the steering wheel for the horn button to occupy.

As for your specific situation:
I'm not sure what could have been done that would damage the multifunction switch. Did you make sure that you snipped the tip on the clockspring "tower"? Make sure that nothing was binding or being crushed when the hub is secured in place? Those are the only things that come to mind.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm rockin a '94. My process for removal/install was a bit different than you laid out, but generally the same. I'm not quite sure what you meant by "Did you make sure that you snipped the tip on the clockspring "tower"?" I'm thinking the culprit for the headlights stuck in the up position is either a fried fuse or bad relay.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts

Here you can see a "snipped" clockspring tower-post-thing.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Ahhh, I didn't do any snip snip on that tip. Kept the plugs in place in case I ever want to go back to stock.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Yeah, you have to snip the very end of that plastic post thing. Don't snip the wires! Just the very tip of the plastic thing sticking out. When it's done it should look just like that photo.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm lost as to why that needs to be done. It doesn't seem like there is any legit reason why you need to snip that off.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Because the depth of the recess on the back of the NRG short hub is shorter than the length of that piece until you snip the very end off it. I don't recall exact measurements but it's a situation where the post sticks out about 20mm but the backside of the hub is only 16mm deep when mounted. (Those numbers are completely made up, but just to give you an idea of what I mean.) So if you try to mount the hub and tighten it down without snipping the tip, it could potentially damage the clockspring or whatever may be behind it because it's pushing in on that piece.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Ahh there it is. I'm using a different hub so that part isn't needed. Still doesn't solve why my headlights went into panic mode while changing the steering wheel though :(

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Yeah, the snip-snip is only needed for the NRG short hubs. Most others fit without major surgery.

Your symptoms do seem very odd though. I can't think of any electrical snafu that would cause such behavior (since the only wires you should have even messed with were horn and airbag), so I'm thinking that somehow something has physically affected the multifunction switch. No idea what/how though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts