ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Current: May 2018

000086270004180222_2 by Brian, on Flickr

I will use this thread to document things I do with my recently acquired Miata as well as ask dumb questions.

Back story: I'm a Saab guy, they're all I've owned (with the exception of my current Subaru Legacy Outback winter beater). Selling my 9000 Aero and getting into a Miata puts me way outside everything I know. But that's the fun, right?!

The car: 1996 Miata. 103k, allll stock but very clean (just what I wanted).

The goal: fun summer DD that will see some autox/light track duty.

The plan: Phase 1 includes making sure all the major maintenance is up to date (new fluids, filters, belts, water pump, and aluminum radiator). Roll bar, wheels/tires (tires are needed anyway), brakes. Then we'll see what happens, probably look into chassis bracing next.

At this point all I've done is a detail/misc minor painting projects. Pics of that can be seen here: http://www.brianleedyphoto.com/Detailing-1/My-1996-Mazda-Miata/19927184_jdQQMd#1568466580_KcgGSk6

This brings the car to looking like this:

Next update will probably be storing the car for the winter. Damn living in the rust belt!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Good looking shell to start with. What package did you get? Cruise, LSD, A/C...?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, hi.

Test fitted the 6ULs...

(Yes, omfg wheel gap)

As well as the wheels this winter I acquired this:

And these:

·
//banned
9,131 Posts
miata in vermont. drive it for like...3 months out of the year?
i lived in vergennes for 3 years. all i saw were scooby's

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well, your car might not have a torsen if it's a base model. Make sure to include the shifter into your maintenance schedule. Car looks good so far except for that wheel gap, but that's what the sleeves/springs are for.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ordered tires last night. 205/50 Star Specs. Was going to go with RS-3's but they're backordered until late April. Hopefully I'll have the wheels permanently this week :)

keep it coming!
Certainly ;)

miata in vermont. drive it for like...3 months out of the year?
i lived in vergennes for 3 years. all i saw were scooby's
Ha, pretty much. Normally it would be in storage for another month at least. Super mild winter this year. Weird stuff.

Well, your car might not have a torsen if it's a base model. Make sure to include the shifter into your maintenance schedule. Car looks good so far except for that wheel gap, but that's what the sleeves/springs are for.
I'm pretty sure it has an open diff. One more thing on the list...

nice looks to be a promising build! keep us up to date
It'll be a slow process but that's what it's all about right?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Few pics from today now that the wheels are on. REALLY annoyed with myself that I didn't get more, given that this spot is usually packed. Oh well.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Looks great. How much did you pick it up for? (If you don't mind me asking)

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My weekend:

FUUUUUU.jpg

Still some lingering issues, but...

Unrelated... no more front plate (until I get pulled over for it)

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The message was pretty clear in MY head, I dunno what the problem is :p (joking of course... too tired to have a complete train of thought at this point))

The EGR port thing on the header was pointed in the wrong direction. Took many hours of screwing around with the EGR tube to make it fit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I too am a long time SAAB guy who recently bought a Miata. Every time I drive my 9-5 Aero, I miss my h-pattern and rwd. Every time I drive my miata, I miss turbo lag, luxury, respect, and 318 ft-lbs of shear awesomeness. It is a tradeoff I suppose.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts