ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. 2000se owner here from CT.

I'll be heading out to CA December 27-January 5 of this year. What would you guys recommend doing the most? I'll be in the OC area. I looked into renting a convertible while I was there, $100 a day. :fp:

But anyways, any suggestions on what to do? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Disneyland/ universal studios
OC food trucks
Car meets
Beach
Big bear
Hollywood/ rodeo drive
Mullholland highway in Malibu

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is big bear?

And where is that huge hill? The one in all the movies.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Lmao! Big bear is a city famous for snow, snowboarding , skiing. And a good drive. You should go up to Glendora mountain road late on a Saturday night. Watch some races go down

·
Registered
221 Posts
magic mountain, santa monica, sea world? :dunno:

·
Registered
619 Posts
Lmao! Big bear is a city famous for snow, snowboarding , skiing. And a good drive. You should go up to Glendora mountain road late on a Saturday night. Watch some races go down
I want to go:/ Never been lived here my whole life....

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
The theme parks are pretty crowded between Christmas and New Years. If you do go to Disney, go the first Monday after New Years when the local kids are back in school.

The Rose Bowl parade should be on during that time. That is in Pasadena. Typically, the weather is pretty mild about that time, but the days are very short (sunlight). You should consider going to San Diego. I suggest driving PCH south, except through Camp Pendelton, then picking it up in Oceanside and all the way down to SD. La Jolla, Torrey Pines, Balboa Park, the Gaslight district and downtown SD are fun to see.

Because you will be in OC, hit Huntington Beach and Newport Beach for sightseeing. They have good nightlife activities. Laguna Beach is fun to browse the art galleries or walk the bluffs at Heisler Park.

What kind of stuff do you like to do, who will you be with?

Tom is from CT. He lives in Laguna Beach.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. You guys have been great so far. Neither of us are really in to snow boarding that much. I used to do it a long time ago, but haven't in about 4 years. What is Magic Mountain and Santa Monica? I've never been to the west coast before, so I really have no idea of what is there. Except for the sports teams.

I will be with my girl friend, but I plan to propose to her while we are there. Got the ring picked out already and everything.

It would really be to get away and relax. Since after we leave CA on the 5th, were going to Florida for another week. I will have my camera, so I can see if I can sneak away and grab pics of some of your guys cars.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wise guy over here, eh? :blaugh:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
True. It is a huge state with pretty much anything to do. But was just looking for stuff in particular to shift through all the dumb ****.

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
Congratulations, man!

The beaches in OC are beautiful. To me, I love the beaches south of Newport. Aliso Beach, Laguna Beach, Dana Point, San Clemente remind me of my time I lived along the Lake Michigan shoreline. The little bedroom communities like Dana Point and San Clemente are very quaint. My wife and I still love going there to walk the pier and watch for whales and dolphins.

Newport and Huntington are a younger scene with a lot of bars and surfer-style boutique clothing shops.

The beaches of San Diego are even more stunning.

Santa Monica and Venice Beach are the quintessential "LA" beaches. Great for people watching, it's a freak show. :) I prefer the slower, casual style of the OC/SD beaches, though.

Magic Mountain is an amusement park. It's like Cedar Point or Busch Gardens, more ride-based. Disney has two parks; Disneyland and California Adventure. California Adventure is undergoing a huge overhaul that will be completed this summer. It will coincide with the grand opening of Carsland ("Cars" based rides). You can look into a 2 or 3 day park-hopper tickets so you can enjoy both parks over the life of the tickets ( the tickets are good for 2-3 weeks, so you don't have to use them in consecutive days. There is "Downtown Disney" which is a pretty active nightlife area for locals with a House of Blues, shops and restaurants.

The drive in the canyons around Malibu are in north LA, but they are beautiful.

SD has the zoo, which is really quite nice. There is also Seaworld, Wild Animal Park, and so on. Unlike LA, SD has a true downtown that is pretty and walkable.

I can't remember the migration seasons, but there are chartered whale tours out of Dana Point.

There is also ANY kind of restaurant you could want in LA/OC/SD. Don't be surprised if most are in a strip mall, but to survive here, they HAVE to be good. If you want a romantic oceanside restaurant, there are a couple in Laguna Beach (Brisas, etc) which are expensive and require reservations. There is a decent seafood restaurant at the base of the San Clemente pier. You sit over the waves inside or outside. Nice view.

if you are going all out, there is Ritz-Carlton resort in south OC,(Laguna Niguel). If you've never done it, an all-inclusive at any Ritz is REALLY relaxing, almost embarrassing actually.

A good point to remember about visiting SOCAL is it involves a lot of time in the car. It's good to loosely plan to see stuff in batches based on their proximity to each other. Things that may seem close to each other on a map can be an agonizing drive in heavy traffic.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Jesus. That was very insightful. We'll be staying with her uncle, who lives in OC. How crowded are we looking at everything being for tourists in late Dec-Early Jan?

·
Registered
167 Posts
if your going to disneyland make sure to drop by the Racing Beat headquarters, its only a few mins away from the convention center an park, I went on a friday and got to meet everyone over there and check out where all the racing beat magic happens, its cool stuff. I got a free racing beat t-shirt and decals =D

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
Thanks Jesus. That was very insightful. We'll be staying with her uncle, who lives in OC. How crowded are we looking at everything being for tourists in late Dec-Early Jan?

Where in OC? Not being nosy, but it helps to get a reference point.

The crowds depend on what you are doing.

There is a rise in tourism around the holidays here, families and people here on vacations, particularly the hotspots. It gets compounded by the local schools being off for the holidays. If you intend to spend New Year's Eve at, say Disney, it is as crowded on that day as a typical summer day in July. My wife and I have season tix for the Disney parks. If you know how to use their system and plan for it like a day hike, it's very manageable and fun.

The beaches aren't typically crowded. The water is pretty cold. Still, I recall the wether being in the low 70s around Christmas, but that time of year is our least predictable. If we get "weather" it usually comes down from NORCAL or Alaska a few days after hitting there.
Typically Jan-March is our rainy season.

Are you planning to fly into LAX or John Wayne?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts