ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey CR i was wondering what is the best sub size to put in my trunk..and i still want space to put stuff in there but i also want a killer sound...

debating on sizing 8, 10 and 12

·
Registered
53 Posts
The thing is it's all a trade off, so its a loaded question. Anyone on here who knows anything about car audio will have slightly different opinions.
Subs need large boxes to get loud, and the larger the cone the larger the box needs to be. So the 12 you're thinking about won't work if you want any trunk space. It's doable, and I've done it. But its a waste of trunk space. My re sx is much more suited to my suv...

A 10 will need a slightly smaller box and an 8 even less. Have you decided how much you want to spend? can you fiberglass at all? What are you building your box out of?

There's also an option of ported vs sealed. Ported boxes need to be bigger but they are louder at a certain frequency then sealed boxes by a few decibels when compared using the same sub. If you were to use say a 10 treo ssp in a sealed and a sony 10 in a ported (assuming the treo was being run to its potential) the treo would out play the sony easily in less space.

So decide
1. How much trunk space do you need, and how much do you have (spare tire still in? Where are you mounting amp?)
2. How much $ are you working with?
3. Exactly how loud are you going for? Are you looking for sq, all around audible bass, or are you trying to see what 25hz feels like?

Needz moar infoz

·
Registered
268 Posts
Dont forget about audio quality too. A 12" sub will get loud and pick up the really low bass lines but won't be as precise in the slightly higher registers. A 8" will still have decent bass but will sound more crisp in most types of music. I think 10s are the best for a single sub setup, but my choice would be an 8" and a 12" (although thats not very ideal for a miata). That being said I think a 10" will give you enough bass to blow your ears while still giving you crisp bass lines.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The thing is it's all a trade off, so its a loaded question. Anyone on here who knows anything about car audio will have slightly different opinions.
Subs need large boxes to get loud, and the larger the cone the larger the box needs to be. So the 12 you're thinking about won't work if you want any trunk space. It's doable, and I've done it. But its a waste of trunk space. My re sx is much more suited to my suv...

A 10 will need a slightly smaller box and an 8 even less. Have you decided how much you want to spend? can you fiberglass at all? What are you building your box out of?

There's also an option of ported vs sealed. Ported boxes need to be bigger but they are louder at a certain frequency then sealed boxes by a few decibels when compared using the same sub. If you were to use say a 10 treo ssp in a sealed and a sony 10 in a ported (assuming the treo was being run to its potential) the treo would out play the sony easily in less space.

So decide
1. How much trunk space do you need, and how much do you have (spare tire still in? Where are you mounting amp?)
2. How much $ are you working with?
3. Exactly how loud are you going for? Are you looking for sq, all around audible bass, or are you trying to see what 25hz feels like?

Needz moar infoz
10pts to you ^^^^^^ .......also this might be more your speed if your worried about room...http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=56142&highlight=subs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts