ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, ever since I've had my Miata (for over a year now) I've tried to figure out a place for a small subwoofer (or a pair of them). Here's what I've looked at:

1. Trunk: Tried it, sounded horrible, rattled, barely any bass coming through to the cockpit.

2. On parcel shelf: Tried it with a small box, sounded good, kept me from raising the top from the inside, ugly.

And the ones I've heard of:

1. Hakuna (outdated I've heard, difficult)

2. Custom low-profile box on the parcel shelf: Best bet probably, can't find one though.

3. Passenger side footwell: Would work, but I drive my roommate to work and he has long legs.

So I'm running out of options here. However, I was driving along in a daze a few days ago and suddenly a thought hit me....

Why not pull the glove box out and install a small box in place of it? It looks to have a decent amount of room behind there though I haven't pulled it completely out yet. It's an intriguing thought though.... but I want to get an opinion before I go to an audio shop and have them start tearing the dash up.

My main concerns:

1. Space (may not be enough)

2. Mounting (I want it to be solid, meaning not mounting it to the dash)

3. Vibration (I don't want it to rattle loose)

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
There are no ideal locations for a subwoofer or pair of subwoofers in a Miata. Shoot, there aren't even any good locations. You've pretty much summed up the + and - with each setup. Passenger footwell is probably the best sounding given the compromises but keep in mind everybody has a different view of what sounds best. Just ask Catman, Jeff Anderson, y8s, or any of the others who've been posting for years in the audio section at Miata.net.

How long is your ride to work? You might have to ask your friend to make some sacrifices for decent base. Or you could make a very shallow box that fits at the very front of the passenger seat (not the footwell) that would create an almost Laz-E-Boy type leg rest. I haven't yet seen a rear parcel shelf box that didn't look awkward. Hakuna would be okay if you spent a great effort to reinforce/seal the rear parcel shelf and maybe even fiberglass the empty space around the fuel tank into a sealed enclosure.

Here are some pics of a Clarion SRV303 pnp sub glovebox setup:

Behind the seat only works if you're a midget

Probably the nicest Miata trunk install I've seen

I've also seen a setup that was like Hakuna's but instead of facing upwards the subs faced forwards into the rear seat backs.

·
OG Member
583 Posts
Here's a pic of mine in the passenger footwell. Holds one Kicker dual voice coil 8 with 400 watts powering it. The sub faces forward, firing into the floorboard. It does limit footroom(my girlfriend hates it!), so it's easily removed with just two screws under the glovebox. It sounds great! Even at 80 mph with the top down I can still hear and feel the bass, one of the disadvantages of a parcel shelf set-up. I'm actually going to rebuild the box out of fiberglass and mdf so I can squeeze a few more inches of footroom out of it.
EDIT- old box:

NEW FIBERGLASS/MDF BOX (takes away 5 inches of footroom):

WITH FLOOR MAT IN PLACE:

·
Registered
379 Posts
The first time i was using a trunk sub, but too mutch rattling. No pic, sorry

This was my second setup

Sound good, but could see anyting on the intersections, because the passenger was too mutch in the view angle.

Changed, for the passenger side foot (no pic) sound good and is still hidden by the passenger carpet

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a custom box for 2 10"s that fits under the bulkhead brace. It doesn't interfere at all with the soft top function and hits pretty hard with JL 10w1v2's. When I get home I'll take some pictures.
I'm contemplating selling it because the car I used it for is becoming a track car, so if you want it make an offer :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a custom box for 2 10"s that fits under the bulkhead brace. It doesn't interfere at all with the soft top function and hits pretty hard with JL 10w1v2's. When I get home I'll take some pictures.
I'm contemplating selling it because the car I used it for is becoming a track car, so if you want it make an offer :D
Interesting.. I'd at least like to see it :D

·
Registered
466 Posts
This is one I build a while ago:

And another for the same car:

(that is NOT me in the pic....the car was photographed for Auto Sound & Security Magazine...)

·
Supporting Member
455 Posts
Ive run 2, 8" rockfordfosgates in the trunk in a fiberglass box for some time now and i love it! Just got a 10" stage 3 punch the other day in the mail and am planing on making another fiberglass box to finish the trunk out nicely. Ill post pics when i finish.

·
Supporting Member
455 Posts
painted them tonite. heres some pics. and i'll get some more pics when i get it installed w/subs.

Attachments

·
Registered
321 Posts

Thats mine - It was really easy and sounds good. You can't put the top up from the inside anymore but it doesn't really bother me at all. It doesn't get in the way of seeing or putting the top down. It acts as a windscreen too. Won't fit if you have a style bar and probably not with a rollbar either.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I used to have a sub in the trunk that worked fairly well, it was a JL 10w3 in a subzero hatchback box (used to be in my VW) firing up at the trunk lid. The holes in my parcel shelf for the Rollbar worked fairly well as a pass-through for the sound. I want to try fiberglassing in an enclosure that would fit in the rear driver's side fender (where the jack is) and maybe cutting another pass through hole in the parcel shelf.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Custom fiberglass enclosure on the passenger foot well...about 6 inch thick, just enough to fit a 10 inch Blaupunkt sub (thinnest magnet we could find) that comes with an billet grill. Tucks nicely underneath the carpet... I'll take a pic and post it when I get a chance.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
That's 100% custom built. Print out that picture and take it with you to your local pro mobile audio installers and ask them to make you a box just like that. Figure at least $500 for the fabrication. If you want something like leather covering it'll cost even more.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts