ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As not to hijack another's thread, I thought I would start a new one.

I mentioned in the "suede dash" thread that I had done one of my doors. I was asked a few questions, so here are some pics.

Above: Traced the stock panel on some 1/8 wood, and cut it out with the jigsaw.

Above: Covered the panel with 1/8" foam, and spray glued the panel and the suede.

Above: Used staples to hold the suede in place. The glue holds it, but this id just to make sure.

Now, before I add the "finished" picture, I have to clarify a few things...
1) I KNOW suede is not for everyone....I am still trying to decide if its for me.
2) I am a HORRIBLE photographer....especially after spending the day with my Mom and Mother-in-Law (Easter stuff), then 3 hours worth of spray glue fumes.
3) I like the armrest...I'm sort of lazy, and use it every time I drive.
4) I know the armrest looks a bit "out of place" with it being "shiney". I have an idea for a "fix" that I will try later in the week. If it works, great. If not, I will remake new ones that I can actually recover.

Here goes.

More details can be found here:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1172695/7

John

·
This is a long user title
3,195 Posts
Hi,
Thanks for the pictures you took, it helps for when I'll try it.

In my opinion, it would look better if the upper part was still in plastic so it could merge with the dash. And maybe if there was an alternative to the plastic stereo thing it would looks better too but overall, I like it. Just the upper part I don't like a lot.

Hope it helps

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with some of what you said.

The first panel I assembled with the top portion still vinyl, and the bottom suede. I took it apart as soon as I saw it. Frankly, it look horrid!

Within the next few weeks, the dash itself will also be recovered in suede, so that will take care of that part.

Regarding the speaker grill...there will be several smaller pieces that are finished in the same texture and color as this one, so there will be a cohesive look to the whole package.

I have also thought about covering the grill in suede, but will reserve that possibility for later.

Cheap digital cameras and 4 shades of black fabrics/textures do NOT get along too well....

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
i have to agree that at the moment it doesn't flow too well with the dash but maybe once the dash is done it'll look good. Otherwise the execution looks excellent. Another thing to think about is that the arm rest may look more out of place without the vinyl dash as it'll stand out more.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My first "fix" is to clean the years of armor all off the vinyl, and see if it "dulls" any. I will then move to dying it "satin black", then "flat balck" if necessary. I think this will solve 99% of the visual issue for me. Its also the easiest, fasted, and about the cheapest fix.

The nest step would be to remake the arm rests from wood. I would loose the "handle" part, and only have the "rest" part. This I can make, out of wood, then prime, texture, and dye to match the speaker grill. So, at least they will look more "unimorm".

The speaker grill has been re-worked in the picture...notice the molded in grill? I then used a super-special-top-secret-g14-classified texture spray on them. Finally, they were sprayed with SEM Satin Black...again, Flat Black might help also...

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
just a professional opinon, suede in a car needs to be uv treated. because it's a split hide, it doesn't take exposure to sunlight very well. an upholstery-grade hide is needed.

also, suede on a high-use/friction area will polish over time. it will create a sheen.

alcantara is a better option.

a contrasing top stitch will break up the huge panel of the same fabric and color.

if you make the handle out of wood, use MDF (medium density fiberbord, NOT particle board), glue up pieces and make it from that. use steel inserts where it bolts to the door for longevity. cover it in fabric. high density modeling foam is another option, but use a bent piece of flatstock for reenforcement, coat it in a few coats of resin (like used for fiberglass).

that's enough for now.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fortunately, it IS upholstry-grade suede. Nothing like haveing a wife who is an interior designer, and having access to some pretty cool fabrics!!

I know the suede will "wear" over time...thats why I bought 30 yards! When the time comes, I can replcae the worn areas. A contrast stitch would be cool too...however, that would require the assistance of a professional...which is just NOT my style! (sarcasm)

Good tip on the MDF. I was thinking the exact same thing. Not sure on what to cover it yet though...thats a bit down the road.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts