ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Lit like a BranchDavidian
5,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've been using RB springs on my Koni Yellows and i want something stiffer. What do the spec-miatas run springrate wise?? I just dont want to go over what the Konis can handle.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Spec Miatas are 700/325 with big bars on both ends, which is way more than Konis can handle. The highest I'd go is 500 in the front, with matching rear springs depending on your swaybar setup. If you have a little extra cash, you may consider going to 550/325 or 550/350 and revalving the front Konis to RACEs-specs. If you want more rate than that, I really like my setup, 700/450 with a stock rear bar and an RB Tubular front bar, and you could probably get away with 450 rears on the Sports.

·
3,857 Posts
I have 430/300 and I'm very happy all around, I wouldn't go with anything more than that...It was already a big shock going from stock to 430/300...
Btw in the beginning I wanted to switch to something softer but at the end I started to like them.
If you drive in mountain roads don't go higher...

·
5,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well remember, my car setup is a little on the tail happy side of neutral. Im kinda wondering how having that big of difference between f and r that would have on the balance i have now. Im looking for the same balance, but stiffer springs.

What about something like 450 375?

·
Registered
402 Posts
STS2 guys are debating 550/325 vs 550/350. 450 in the front is too low. Do you have Shaikh's spreadsheet?

Max, I just took my 700/450 setup up some twisty-ass mountain roads yesterday, with a couple of 1st gear hairpins and NO 3rd gear anything. No problems at all. The dampers make the setup.

·
5,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
btw, i have a RB tubular on the front (soft setting) and a FM on the rear (hardest) setting). Like i said, balance of the car is good, i just want stiffer.

No i dont have that spreadsheet...

according to RB's website
"(front - 190 lb/in) and 30% (rear - 147 lb/in)"

i'd think that 450 would be much better then what im running now.... remember, not a complete GRIP car!!!! Is there a % of for every number the front goes to the rear goes up xxx% ??? or a formula that says the rear should be xxx% less then the front?

·
5,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
also, whats the MAX i can run on the KONIs? I dont want to get too close to that. How much does revalving cost?

·
Banned
439 Posts
Actually, they are building a "new" SM series using Koni Yellows and 700FR/350RR with the rest of the standard SM ssuspension being used. It will be SM-Turbo racing. They are running them out at Motorsport Ranch, near Ft. Worth/Dallas.

I am also running Yellows and 700FR/325RR presently, with no issues. It isn't too rough for me, and I drive on crappy Dallas roads. Still running stock suspension besides that, but going to be using full competetion sway-bars (ITA). That might be a little much for some people, but I am not concerned with comfort.

·
Registered
405 Posts
ive heard max is around 500 as well. I ran 500 front 350 rear on my konis without any issues, but mine was an NA. I had the RB tubular bar up front and no rear/stock rear(pending on what the autox corse looked like). I loved the setup. I was helped by the National champ CSP guys in my region on spring rates(they were telling me more than 500 on the front of a miata is no good for street tires).

I also had polyurithane bushings all around, if that helps.

·
5,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so.... for a dail driver (im not anal about ride quality if its what works) think i can get away with like 475F and 350R??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts