ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if a supercharger will hold up to drifting? Or should I just go turbo? I know there are different kinds of superchargers, so I would think at least one kind would be able to handle the constant high rpms.

It'll be for my 95 1.8

Any advice would help, thank you

·
Registered
307 Posts
Will this be competative drifting or just fun stuff? Our friend Jeff Abbott (Turns101) decided to seriously drift his Miata and is now well over 300whp and just barely keeping up with the big boys. You can for sure set up a 220 whp Miata to drift but just amateur competition. Now having said that I asked Jeff why he went turbo and he told me it was a cultural thing. Turbo is just the way to go for small displacement motors in formula D.

Superchargers can handle the RPM's no problem, as long as you are not overspinning it, and since a drift competition is made up of short runs similar to autocross you'll be resting it between runs. I'm an SC owner myself but since the turbo can make more peak torque per PSI ( as opposed to a broad flat curve with SC) which is needed to bring on a drift I think it is the better tool for this job. Just my opinion.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Each has their pros and cons. The SC will be very linear and act like a NA engine just more powerful. This should be nice for throttle modulation. You are extremely power limited with an SC though. The m45 or m62 tap out pretty quick ~180-250whp. The only big power miata specific SC is going to be one of the bigger rotrex units. You could potentially have one of those built to the tune of ~400whp.

The turbo will have more power under the curve given the same power output if properly setup. Once the turbo spools you have instant power. Think of it like hitting a wall of power. This will be great for breaking your tires loose, but can have it's down sides. If for some reason should your RPMs fall under that sweet spot that instant outburst of power could come on to fast at inopportune times. For a good driver this will be negligible but it will give lower throttle resolution in that part of the power band. Granted this is all fixable by someone who knew what they were doing with a electronic boost controller and boosting by gear and rpm.

What I think it comes down to is how much power do you want, and how much do you want to learn? A lot more knowledge goes into optimizing a turbo setup than slapping on a SC. You can make a turbo do everything an SC can do given you know how, the same can't be said for the SC.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the info. I just drift for fun. I used to drift my s13 with an rb in it. So I know what it's like to drift with turbo.

And my power goals for the miata at the moment are 220-250. If that is about the max with SC, then that might answer my question.

I was just leaning towards the SC because I haven't done it before, and would be something different for me.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Belts dont like to change engine speed.
It seems to me that most sc'd cars like to eat belts.

just sayin
This WAS true at one time. No more. Both BEGI and Fastforward have gone to 6-rib setups with GM OEM auto tensioners that eliminate dusting, slipping, and breaking. In the last almost 5 years of SC ownership the only time I changed a belt is when I went to a bigger crank puley.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
a turbo can be setup to do what a supercharger does, but it requires a lot more work and knowledge (with exception of the really low low end torque, but I doubt you are going to be drifting at 2k rpm). A supercharger is a bit more "plug n play", if you will. with that said, You can't go wrong with either one.

·
SuperMOD
7,045 Posts
I've had good and bad experiences with superchargers. Depends on the tensioner setup and alignment.

First one was beautiful, didn't slip, made 163whp/142wtq on a 1.6 on the stock boost pulley. Ran a full autocross and a half day of back to back grip and drift before I ran into a clogged cat issue and sold it.

Second one's tensioner system was shoddy and the pulleys wouldn't all line up well, would not hold the belt for any extended period so I parted it and sold it. This one was a 1.8 kit that I was trying to adapt to a 1.6, not sure if that had anything to do with the misalignment.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The throttle response and linear power delivery of a PD blower are excellent and quite helpful for car control. However, the characteristic efficiency map of a PD blower explains clearly illustrates the inherent limitations of the technology. Quite frankly, if you want 170-200, then a PD blower is probably the best way to get it, otherwise consider a centrifugal compressor like a rotrex or a turbocharger.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
get a stock mazdaspeed miata turbo set up,

1. cheap
2. 200whp
3. small turbo = fast spool

i like my set up, make good power but the gears suck in my car.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts