ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Starting this build thread to keep a log of my car and to track progress. First few posts are of when I first bought the car and go on to the current state.

Mod List - 9/14/16

Engine/Exhaust/Drivetrain:
-Jackson Racing M45 Supercharger
-TDR 62.5mm SC Pulley
-MS Labs Megasquirt 3 Basic ECU
-Innovate MTX-L Wideband
-TDR Header Heat Shield
-Mazda Competition Engine Mounts
-DDMWorks Cold Air Intake
-Buddy Club Spec II NB8C Muffler
-RoadsterSport 2.5" Midpipe
-Koyo 36mm Hypercore radiator and Samco hoses
-Chikara SS clutch line
-Maruha 2-way LSD (4.3 final drive); installed and set up by Chikara Motorsports.
-Moroso Air/Oil Separator (catch can)

Suspension/Chassis:
-Mazdaspeed Bilstein's
-550 Lb/in front/350 Lb/in rear, 7" length, 2.5" Hypercoil Springs w/ sleeves & collars, ES spring isolators, RE Suspension 36mm bump stops
-Racing Beat 1.125" Tubular sway bar with poly bushings and blocks & bolts hardware
-14mm MSM rear sway bar
-949 Racing SuperMiata end links (front and rear)
-Beatrush rear P.P.F bar
-Energy Suspension differential mount bushings
-Energy Suspension poly control arm bushings

Wheels & Tires:
-15x9 +35 Advanti Storm S1
-225/45/15 Hankook R-S3 Version 2
-949 Racing Forged alloy lugs

Brakes:
-Carbotech XP10F/XP8R
-Motul RBF600

Interior/Safety:
-Hard Dog M1 Hard Core Hardtop X braced double diagonal
-Hard Dog Harness Bar
-Jass Performance HT brackets
-Sparco Sprint V FIA
-Garage Star Seat Mount
-Advanced Autosports gas pedal extension
-Momo F1 350mm
-Works Bell Hub
-NRG Quick Release version 2.5
-Garage Star Delrin door bushings
-Pioneer AVH-3500BHS multimedia receiver

Exterior/Aero:
-APR GTC-200 w/ 2.5" risers
-Miatacage front tow hook
-Lumens HID in OEM projector housing.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've had the car for about a year and a half, it started off as my daily driver but now I am planning to build it for the track. I've competed a season of autocross and am looking forward to another season this year. Hope to have the car track ready by 2016 as that is when the track here is expected to open, currently the closest track is about 2.5 hours away so isn't ideal. Until then, seat time through autocross and mods for the car.

I will try and fill the gaps in since the start of my ownership and will keep posting updates after that. Here is the car shortly after I picked it up:

Winter came quickly, I was both scared and excited to drive it. It was my second car, and first RWD. After the first ice freeze I spun out three times at low speeds with the winter tires the car came with, luckily didn't hit anything. Ordered studded nokian's the next day and loved the way this drove in the winter.

Found a hard top at the other end of the country and the owner's friend transported it to a much closer location.

Had it painted.

Signed up for an ice driving course and attended an ice racing event as well.

Winter was now over, I've removed/sold the style bar shortly after ;)

Bought some 215/40/17 Falken RT-615K's for auto-x shortly before finding out 15's were the way to go and that RT-615K's weren't very good.

Signed up for a SoloPro autocross school and got hooked:

Ordered 15x8's and BFG Rival's towards the end of the season and only had a chance to use them for 1 event:

225 Rivals on 15x8's vs 215 RT-615K's on 17x7's:

Realized my suspension was severely lacking:

Got caught out during a short hail storm :cry::

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Car is now parked for winter (for the most part). Scored a good deal on a set of MSM suspension, plan is to to convert the shocks to coilovers similar to the ebay coilover thread's.

In addition to the MSM sway bars, going to go with:
-550/350 7", 2.5" Hypercoil Springs
-Spec Miata (Mazda motorsports? from Bauer Ltd./CordyCord) adjustable sleeves and collars
-ES coil spring isolators
-New Mazda bushings
-RE suspension bump stops (36mm)
-949 racing endlinks front and rear
-949 alignment specs (or similar)

Also ordered ordered energy suspension rear diff bushings which will hopefully help with wheel hop.

Current goals/mods planned for now:
-Supermiata motor mounts
-Hard dog M2 roll bar
-Seat + rails (undecided ATM - Momo start/Sparco sprint maybe?)
-Fan + Shroud kit (my AC fan is broken so need to replace this anyways, considering the FM spal fans)
-Radiator (Koyo 37mm, maybe 55mm or crossflow radiator)
-Oil cooler
-Frame rails
-Brake pads, braided stainless steel brake lines(carbotech XP8/XP10? Currently have hawk HPS so definitely need to upgrade eventually)
-15x9's

Feel free to share any advice/suggestions/thoughts!

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Nice work so far, what are you using for engine management for the m45? :dunno: Evetytime I see a boosted miata I wish I had bought one boosted already... :(

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice work so far, what are you using for engine management for the m45? :dunno: Evetytime I see a boosted miata I wish I had bought one boosted already... :(
Thanks, no engine management yet but I am thinking of going with the Megasquirt 3 down the road. It may be a good idea to get it first but I want to work on the handling, safety and driver mod first.

I had a set of rivals on my protege. Best tires I've ever driven by far.
Nice, my top two choices were the rivals and NT-01 but decided not to go with the NT-01 as I read that they wear out faster which isn't best for 250-400km round trip's to events.

·
Registered
307 Posts
First, nice car. Question is, do you think the stock MSM shocks will handle those spring rates ok? Then again, you seem to enjoy the hands-on part so changing them out later won't be too bad. Oh well, enjoy.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
First, nice car. Question is, do you think the stock MSM shocks will handle those spring rates ok?
I based my decision on quite a bit of research and also speaking with quite a few individuals on the forums who track their cars with a similar or exact same set up. Hopefully, I am not being too optimistic but I think it should be noticeably better than my worn hard s bilstein's and springs.

949 Racing SuperMiata end links arrived this week. Thumbs up to 949 Racing for the quick shipping!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks, no engine management yet but I am thinking of going with the Megasquirt 3 down the road. It may be a good idea to get it first but I want to work on the handling, safety and driver mod first.

Nice, my top two choices were the rivals and NT-01 but decided not to go with the NT-01 as I read that they wear out faster which isn't best for 250-400km round trip's to events.
I had about 7k on mine when I sold the car, still had a good bit of meat on them. A friend of mine had a set on his VW Rabbit and managed 14k out of them with a handful of autox events even.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
It has to have something to adjust fuel like a rising rate fuel pressure regulator, power card for fuel, etc and something to adjust timing like a MSD retard box, power card for timing, JR timing box...otherwise the car would have expelled a rod by now. This just means what it does have you are unaware of at this point.

First check to make sure it is a stock ECU, then check under the dash for power cards, etc and under the hood for a RRFPR. :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It has to have something to adjust fuel like a rising rate fuel pressure regulator, power card for fuel, etc and something to adjust timing like a MSD retard box, power card for timing, JR timing box...otherwise the car would have expelled a rod by now. This just means what it does have you are unaware of at this point.

First check to make sure it is a stock ECU, then check under the dash for power cards, etc and under the hood for a RRFPR. :)
Thanks, it has the JR Power Card attached to the stock ECU.

1 - 20 of 236 Posts