ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have been running my car in NASA TT and Global Time Attack and I am looking to be a little more competitive next season. After talking with a few people, I think I have found what I am looking for but have a few questions.

I will be building my 1.8 with SuperTech 11.0:1 pistons, rods, valve seals, springs, etc. on a M62 and megasquirt PNP.

-How much power am I looking and how much boost?
-What is the best kit out? Bang for the buck??
-Anything I need to look out for?
-Any tips, info, etc that I will need for this?

Thanks you ahead of time. I am a BMW guy (even though I have owned 3 miata's) so I am new to building a race motor for a miata...take it a little easy on me!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, THIS IS A RACE MOTOR FOR MY TIME ATTACK CAR. No, it is not driven on the street, yes it will be on E85, and no, I don't care if it last more then one season.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any reason why you're using an M62 instead of a Rotrex?
Like I said, I am new to miata stuff. My last miata was from 4 years ago and was all motor. The reason I was going M62 was I know someone with one for really cheap.

That kit seems pretty impressive for pricing. I need to look into what all I will need for it.

Wouldnt 11.0:1 be too high for S/C
IT IS A RACE MOTOR! Car will be on E85, tuned and is not driven on the street. Yes high compression and boost don't mix...for a daily. For a time attack car it is a different story.

·
Accepting donations.
3,366 Posts
You only partial to the S/C because of the deal you have set up? Turbo would make it a little cheaper usually but I don't know if that would change your class I thought it was power to weight. But I don't know the rules at all.

Regardless I would go to MT more people track there and almost all are boosted. If you want your wheels to fit cool ask here, if you want to go fast ask there.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You only partial to the S/C because of the deal you have set up? Turbo would make it a little cheaper usually but I don't know if that would change your class I thought it was power to weight. But I don't know the rules at all.

Regardless I would go to MT more people track there and almost all are boosted. If you want your wheels to fit cool ask here, if you want to go fast ask there.
Supercharger car is easier to drive on street tires.

·
Accepting donations.
3,366 Posts
A 2554 wouldn't hit super hard. I would be stuck to the pedal on a 1.8, but I don't know what power you want.

Just the worst part about the S/Cs to me is the price factor, they cost more initially and when you want more power you have to buy pulleys, tensioners, belts, etc. When on a turbo car you turn your MBC and retune a bit.

I have been in a M45 1.6 and it was decently quick but not too much more than my 1.8, obviously you will make more with the MS, timing, and higher CR.

Numbers wise I have no idea where you would be.

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
Like I said, I am new to miata stuff. My last miata was from 4 years ago and was all motor. The reason I was going M62 was I know someone with one for really cheap.

That kit seems pretty impressive for pricing. I need to look into what all I will need for it.

IT IS A RACE MOTOR! Car will be on E85, tuned and is not driven on the street. Yes high compression and boost don't mix...for a daily. For a time attack car it is a different story.
Rotrex is all around a better setup, if you roll M62 coldside your only option for charge cooling is W/M but since you're running E85 you'd probably be fine anyway. The Rotrex unit is higher efficiency (less heat added to the intake charge/flow) but obviously costs more. Since you can get the M62 cheap and you'll be using E85 I think that's probably the ticket for you. Spend the extra couple bucks and have Braineack build you a DIYPNP or buy the MSPNP2, you'll be much happier with the extra features it has over the MSPNP.

If you're going for _big_ power, I think the bigger Rotrex unit will outflow the M62, but don't quote me on that. Check with Kraftwerks.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Rotrex is all around a better setup, if you roll M62 coldside your only option for charge cooling is W/M but since you're running E85 you'd probably be fine anyway. The Rotrex unit is higher efficiency (less heat added to the intake charge/flow) but obviously costs more. Since you can get the M62 cheap and you'll be using E85 I think that's probably the ticket for you. Spend the extra couple bucks and have Braineack build you a DIYPNP or buy the MSPNP2, you'll be much happier with the extra features it has over the MSPNP.

If you're going for _big_ power, I think the bigger Rotrex unit will outflow the M62, but don't quote me on that. Check with Kraftwerks.
Yah, if you do go coldside you can run extra injectors for intake charge cooling AND extra fuel. I run 16psi this way. I've often wondered how increased CR would respond to this? E85 is pretty amazing stuff. I once had a hot wire come off my fuel management card and ran boost pretty darn hard a few times before I noticed my AFR's at ~13.5. Not a sign of ping at all. Soooo with the right AFR and 11:1 I bet it would have insane low end torque and be safe.

·
Accepting donations.
3,366 Posts
Good luck getting Brain to build you one. I have had friends PM him many times. It is on his free time anyways.

Have reverent build you a MS or the PNP2 as said, the new PNP sounds pretty awesome I just like the headphone jack for the knock sensor. :lol:

·
Registered
501 Posts
Also, THIS IS A RACE MOTOR FOR MY TIME ATTACK CAR. No, it is not driven on the street...
Supercharger car is easier to drive on street tires.
If it's not driven on the street, why would you limit yourself to power options based on your tire selection? If you're just driving to and from the track, you could overlook power problems for a little bit, no?

You might want to rephrase and state your power and driving goals instead. Everyone's giving you some good advice, but shooting in the dark. Instead of "What will X + Y + Z get me in RWHP?", maybe "What do I need to get to RWHP?".

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
Good luck getting Brain to build you one. I have had friends PM him many times. It is on his free time anyways.

Have reverent build you a MS or the PNP2 as said, the new PNP sounds pretty awesome I just like the headphone jack for the knock sensor. :lol:
Yeah, Brain built my DIYPNP -- five hours of troubleshooting later I had to resolder the WBO2 input because it came loose. Otherwise it was a good price, so I can't complain much.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would be VERY happy at 280whp.

Reason I am running street tires...I am running GTA Street RWD which limits you to well...a street tire. 225 RS3's.

From GTA round 2 at Road Atlanta.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts