ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Supporting Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello kids...
i've got a Mini Cooper S supercharger and i wanna know if it'll fit a 1.6 miata?
any info will be appreciated :)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
just a M45 blower, it will fit with the right fabrication skills

·
Supporting Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it will fit with the right fabrication skills
this is what i'm afraid of...lol.
how much fiddling will have to be done? i want it worry free...i do A LOT of driving, and don't want to just have to worry about it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
how much fiddling will have to be done? i want it worry free...i do A LOT of driving, and don't want to just have to worry about it.
I used to have an r53 so I have quite a bit of experience with the supercharge in question. It's an m45 blower. Essentially the same one that Jackson Racing used in their very early super charger kits. The mini blower has some issues with it (depending on year) and some application specific items (water pump reduction gears driven off the back of the shaft).

The simple answer to your question is that if you have to ask these questions you don't have the knowledge/grit to make this happen. You'll require beercan or pro engineering on the inlet/outlet adapter plates, SC mounts, Tensioner setup, pully setup and pully size, cross over tube, injectors, air intake, bypass valve setup, engine management, etc etc etc. This list goes on.

You have two choices:
1- get corky bells book on superchargers and get to work (long, hard and prob more expensive but more rewarding)
2- Sell the supercharger to another mini owner (will net you 250-400 bucks) as they die constantly in these cars... I personally ate 1 one and so did many of my friends (in under 100k miles mind you) Take the money you net and get a jackson racing m45 kit.

good luck... you're going to need it.

·
Supporting Member
12,265 Posts
It's not a direct bolt on. You're wasting your time and money. It sounds like you have no mechanical skills. Accordingly, stay away from FI unless you have another car or have a basic Sebring/Moss/M45 kit installed by a shop like RSpeed or ship your car to Flyin' Miata for the full treatment.

·
Registered
109 Posts
It will fit, but before even considering installing it you should obtain the fuel management and so forth which are required to run forced induction.

I'm currently fabbing an SC14 to my 1.6. I decided to redo my mounts as I didn't like it super close to the exhaust. I'd suggest googling up some supercharger kits and viewing their mounts as reference to what you'll need to do.

As for reliability, its only going to be as reliable as you build it to be. As the saying goes pick two: Cheap, reliable, fast.

·
I <3 NY & Hate you
995 Posts
I do believe the Mini's utilized the MP45 not the M45 that the JRSC kit came with....almost identical other than the S-Port and a couple other minor additions. However like the others have said, if you have no mechanical skills then just skip this all together.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I do believe the Mini's utilized the MP45 not the M45 that the JRSC kit came with....almost identical other than the S-Port and a couple other minor additions. However like the others have said, if you have no mechanical skills then just skip this all together.
that is correct. r53 mini is an mp45 not an m45.

Boo they got rid of my post. I wanted to let the OP know he was dumb like everybody else did
You New Yorkers and your lack of subtlety. :p

·
Lit like a BranchDavidian
5,990 Posts
If you really want worry free power, get a 120 shot NOS kit. Far less fabrication skills and it's instant power.

·
SuperMOD
7,045 Posts
There's a company in the Uk that makes all the parts you need for this.
Don't know the name off hand though, and it'd probably still be easier and cheaper to just get the miata kit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It be TR Lane of which you speak. :)

Some good threads with detail over at MX5nutz about doing the Mini SC.

If you know what you're doing when you do this, then it is possible to make a setup much cheaper than buying a new MX5 M45 kit, but not cheaper than just buying a complete second hand MX5 kit.

Since you've got it I'd go it... making stuff is fun... HTFU! :mrgreen:

·
Supporting Member
436 Posts
Quite a few guys in the UK have done this, following on from Barry Spiers build. He made the CAD drawings available to anyone who wanted them and TR Lane have just copied that design to make it available to anyone without the skills / contacts to get it made themselves. Bear in mind that the bracketry is designed for RHD cars... not sure if there would be clearance issues with anything for LHD cars?

Russell.

·
Registered
85 Posts
unfortunately the cad drawings are wrong. they are having mistakes in holes positions.
Btw that's not the only one. Uk miatas are having the servo brake system at the left side (as the steering wheel) so they are having a lot of space for the s/c's inlet. Another issue is that the 1.6 servo is bigger than 1.8's.. I can't understand why but this make the effort more difficult for 1.6 models. But i think we are almost there. I will show you some pics until the end of the month.

·
Registered
85 Posts

side by side with an 62 s/c. this is old setups foto. i will show you new ones until the end of Feb..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts