ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've heard that ghetto remix of Supertramps breakfast in america, I think its the part where it goes - "take a look at my girlfriend, shes the only one i got, not much of a girlfriend, we never seem to get along". Then I just heard their song, "School" on a movie preview. I listen to Supertramp a good bit, I think they're really good. But what is up with this sudden explosion of Supertramp??

I hate when rap people remix ****, like walk this way (even though it helped Aerosmith a lot)... except for diamonds are forever by kanye west (I think hes a moron though.)

·
Registered
489 Posts
It's Cupid's Chokehold by Gym Class Heros.

·
2,708 Posts
I hate when rap people remix ****, like walk this way (even though it helped Aerosmith a lot)...
Walk This Way was a groundbreaking collaboration for both RUN DMC and Aerosmith. I remember watching it on MTV at the time and was like, "Whoa! That's some serious ****". You probably weren't even born yet when it came out in 1986.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hate when rap people remix ****, like walk this way (even though it helped Aerosmith a lot)...
Walk This Way was a groundbreaking collaboration for both RUN DMC and Aerosmith. I remember watching it on MTV at the time and was like, "Whoa! That's some serious ****". You probably weren't even born yet when it came out in 1986.
You're correct! I wasn't born till 87 I just don't like the song. lol

·
CR.net Supporter
185 Posts

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
Wasn't born 'til '87?

Man, I feel old.

Supertramp is a really great progressive rock band, so it is strange to hear some of their more radio-friendly songs mixed into "new" stuff and on commercials.

Remember when The Gap had someone performing "Give A Little Bit" on one of their commercials and then some artist remade the song, but it's still not as good as the original.

Glad to see you young guys listening to good, real music. There are very few quality musicians in this day and age of manufactured bands and music.

If you listen to "Breakfast In America" in its entirety, you will notice a theme, or a story if you will about leaving England and coming to America and experiencing things here in the West. This is precisely what Supertramp had done between "Even In The Quietest Moments" and "Breakfast In America." If you look closely at the sheet music that lay on the piano of "Quietest", you will see it is "The Star Spangled Banner", alluding to their move here. Unfortunately, theme and concept albums seem a thing of the past now.

Also take a listen to "Crime of the Century" and "Even in the Quietest Moments"

More here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supertramp

Yeah, I'm a fan... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wasn't born 'til '87?

Man, I feel old.

Supertramp is a really great progressive rock band, so it is strange to hear some of their more radio-friendly songs mixed into "new" stuff and on commercials.

Remember when The Gap had someone performing "Give A Little Bit" on one of their commercials and then some artist remade the song, but it's still not as good as the original.

Glad to see you young guys listening to good, real music. There are very few quality musicians in this day and age of manufactured bands and music.

If you listen to "Breakfast In America" in its entirety, you will notice a theme, or a story if you will about leaving England and coming to America and experiencing things here in the West. This is precisely what Supertramp had done between "Even In The Quietest Moments" and "Breakfast In America." If you look closely at the sheet music that lay on the piano of "Quietest", you will see it is "The Star Spangled Banner", alluding to their move here. Unfortunately, theme and concept albums seem a thing of the past now.

Also take a listen to "Crime of the Century" and "Even in the Quietest Moments"

More here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supertramp

Yeah, I'm a fan... :mrgreen:
Thats cool, what you said about breakfast in american I'll have to listen real closely to that.

Yeah man I listen to a lot of older stuff. Rush being my all time favorite. I have every one of their albums... 17 or 18 (downloaded). Their progressive rock stuff is real good too, like Grace Under Pressure. Most of the songs on that album have like an eerie feeling to them, like Red Sector A, its really cool. Though I definitely love all of Rush's music from the Led Zepplin-like stuff to the pop-ish ****. Good stuff!

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
Oooh yeah, man! RUSH is another favorite of mine.

And OLD Genesis, with Peter Gabriel and before Phil Collins went wimpy on us.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
ewwww.... RUSH..... i hate that band alsmost as much as I despise U2

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
me too^^^^ I also find it interesting that when "rap people" remix rock people don't consider it music or that it lacks integrity because they're using someone else's music. Aerosmith wouldn't have existed if it wasn't for the original "rap people" who invented blues and then rock. One might say they're music was stolen from them *cough*elvis*cough*. On a more positive not I consider all art as a form of theft from pervious art. I imagine it'll just take some more eminems for more people to take rap seriously. Though I agree morons Like Kanye aren't helping the cause. And if you simply don't like rap because of the sound, try listening to something not on the radio. There are alot of different kinds of rap, some good some bad, like everything else. Now how do I get off this damn soapbox...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I believe the problem is people are no longer distinguishing the difference between rap and hip-hop. They are two totally different genres. It is like comparing Metal and punk. They are both loud, they both scream, and they're both fast but still they are totally different. I hate rap, but i like hip hop. But my musical tastes vary a good deal. I could be listening to Wu-Tang then switch to some Darkest Hour then go to some Radiohead. If you want to hear some GOOD "rap" turn off the radio and go to the record store.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
when you start requesting anything by phil collins you're proving the miata driver stereotype true...
lol I don't really care dude, I don't mind driving around listening to Steely Dan/Styx/REO... I don't need to dicksize with anyone over music.

But yeah I reaaally just hate the rap and hiphop genres. I can take it once in a while but its nothing I'd listen to on a normal basis.

"Aerosmith wouldn't have existed if it wasn't for the original "rap people" who invented blues and then rock. " <-- Rap people = black people? Okay... ? That has nothing to do with rap remixes of other songs - I don't think its stealing I just think they suck 99% of the time.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
that's cool man, my phil collins remark was a lame attempt at humor. to each his own. and yes I mean hip-hop not rap.-I still don't like rap, but I love hip-hop.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts