ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, out with the old and in with the new. My KW's have found new homes with owners that should be really happy once they install them. I've been working with Robi from Robi Spec on something a little more exotic. Aluminum bodied, remote reservior, triple adjustable coilovers for the miata. The whole package before springs wieghs about 4 lbs per corner - the sprung portion of that is obviously less than that. Right now I'm working off of what spring rates I thought worked well with the KW's - 7 front and 6 rears.

We are still working out the upper mounts he will offer. As you can see, the rears on this set are made with what in my opinion is the best mod you can do to your car: Flyin Miata upper mounts. The front upper mounts were discovered on accident. They are a rear solid uppermount that is for the rear of an EVO. All we had to do was make the mounting holes in the unibody closer together by .25" and it bolted right up.

Now the cool thing for everyone else is this: Once Robi and I finalize the set up on this car, we will be using the valving and spring rates to make a single adjustable offering as well as a double adjustable offering tuned the exact same way they are on my car. So you'll have ultimate speed as well a price that you can stomach. :)

I'm pretty pleased so far with them. I'll be setting them up and dialing them in on Friday and Saturday before the Redline time attack at buttonwillow this weekend.

If we ask nice, maybe we can get peter (CE28N) to take some better pics of them...

Later,
Matt

Attachments

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
wow. thats amazing eh, but how do the reserviors work ? or what do they do rather ? (honest question, i just wanna learn pa ^^)

·
2,708 Posts
wow. thats amazing eh, but how do the reserviors work ? or what do they do rather ? (honest question, i just wanna learn pa ^^)
In simplest of terms, heat is the number one enemy of shocks, the ability to hold extra amount of fluid means better cooling and dampening consistency. At the track or really aggressive use, the fluids heat up due to friction and track conditions, thinning it out.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Also, the reservoirs are used to move the nitrogen part of the damper out of the shock body, allowing for more travel on short bodied shocks (like the miata rears).

edited for my poor spelling.

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
~ rough idea on price? Gimme a high end, I don't wanna low ball ya :mrgreen: Looks like they'll work superb and the weight is sickening. It's kinda like Fox's Float Evol series shocks for ATV's, very, very light!! =D>

·
Registered
97 Posts
why rates of 7-6?

heard 2 kgmm between the front and rear is about the same as stock but at higher rates

with 1kgmm difference = more oversteer?

yea price estimate? possible to get different spring rates?
how about no adjustment and have the shock valved specifically for that spring rate?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok. I'll try and tackle some questions here...

You guys have covered the remote reservior issue pretty well. More fluid, more range of motion, less sprung weight, etc.

As for why I am using 6s and 7s, its because I've tried other set ups and this is what I think works. I know others have had success with different set ups, but I have found this to be neutral with my sway bar and alignment settings. A little nervous at high speed, but crisp turn in and oversteer on command with the right foot. If you want a set of unadjustables with custom spring rates, you are kind of gambling IMO. I know Robi only likes to sell what works. If he thinks what you want is outside of the optimal set up, the he may just refuse to sell it to you. Thats why you rarely see a slow "robi spec" car. He has a tight grasp on quality control. But if there is something you want, and you talk to him about why you want it a certain way, he will probably do it.

As for cost, you guys will need to ask him. As the kits aren't fully developed yet, I don't think there is a firm price. I would expect it to be in the same neighborhood as other high end single adjustables, with the double and triple versions falling well south of Penske's or Motons, but being more than JICs, etc.

Matt

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
So we can say ~$1750 +/- range for single adjust w/ custom spring rates? Wouldn't be a shabby deal =D> Are the hats (I believe that's the term used for upper mount) adjustable on the fronts? Sorry to bug you so much Matt, I just wanna gain as much knowledge as I can :mrgreen:

I could see the dual and triple adjustables outta my range unless they'd be on a specific track car and a quality setup instead of the weekend auto-x'r or drifter.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you're not bugging me, Andrew. I wouldn't have posted them if I wasn't willing to answer questions. ;)

I'm not going to guess anymore at price than I already have. But I suspect you are in the right range. I'm sure Robi can work with what ever spring rates you want, but he is going to really want you to run what ever it is we figure out works the best for these specific shocks. I'll promise you that if you use what we engineer, you will be happy with the car's performance.

I'm not sure what you mean by adjustable hats? I don't think I've ever seen a set of upper mounts that were adjustable. What would you want to adjust? Are you thinking of other cars that can adjust camber with camber plates? If so, you are thinking of cars with different suspension set ups. You can't adjust camber in miatas this way as they are of a double a arm design.

matt

·
Registered
7 Posts
Are the hats (I believe that's the term used for upper mount) adjustable on the fronts?
Are you thinking of camber plates, like the EVO and STI usually get in the front? If so, they don't apply to the miata. The miata's camber is defined by the control arms. On a strut suspension like the STI and the EVO, the camber is defined by the lower control arm and the strut. So moving the top of the strut changes camber. Moving the top of the strut won't do anything on a double wishbone car like the miata, or an older civic/integra.

-Mike

·
Registered
490 Posts
Matt,

I definitely want to hear all comments, good and bad, I can't imagine you developing something you didn't think was going to work. I emailed Robispec with durability concerns, I don't drive my car daily but I also can't trailer to events, so I'm anxious to hear how they hold up. I can stand a revalve yearly if I have to but after watching a friend have to rebuild a set of Penske's three times last year I have some concerns about durability. Granted I think the reason he kept blowing seals is because the high speed compression was way too stiff, but it was a band-aid for stock class autocross.

I don't know if I can repeat what I was quoted for DA remote reservoirs. Well south of Penske's is the right way to word it.

Who does Robispec use for springs? I'm only curious.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pete-

Robi is travelling this week, so if he doesn't respond to email right away, that is why. I have been told the rebuild schedule for these won't be that bad, but thats a good question to ask.

For Springs, Robi mostly seems to use swift or KW. I've personally really liked the KW springs in the past because every time I've seen them tested, they are right on the money.

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
Thanks Matt and Mike for explaining. =D>

I got confused and it stuck in my head when you mentioned Evo rear mounts, Matt. I had forgotten that our control arms adjusted Camber as well as caster, been a little while since I was under there, but an oil change is due soon.

Matt would you say these shocks are intended for Auto-X/Time attack/Spec out of the box or could they be used for other setups (such as DD and Drifting to name a few) as well with a little tuning? I know it'd probably be a harsh ride on the street, but I for one would rather use one suspension to handle what I throw @ it.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
its actually not that rough. a quality damper won't pound the crap out of you. I drove them home 1.5 hr from redlands to Irvine when I first got them. not that big of a deal.

As for other motorsports, they would be perfect IMO. There is no such thing as a good grip set up that would suck for drifting. Reese Millen will tell you that a good drift set up is the same as a good grip setup. Lots of grip, but more importantly, linear brakeaway and a balanced chassis.

Anyway, I'll have more date after the weekend. getting ready to throw the car on the trailer now...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts