ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry if this has been beaten to death. I have been reading on these forums for about a month now on what kinda suspension setup I should get for the kinda driving I do. I have tried doing searches but have not been able to find the answer. There is so much information and different situations that it is hard. So, I wanted to get some advice from people who have already experienced different spring/shock setups.

I am on a budget so I would like something cheaper but not cheap.
I have a 97 and is my daily driver. This is my first Miata so I do not know the car or my limits yet.

I don't mind the hard suspension but my wife would rather have the stock suspension feel. Is there a suspension that will allow me to go from stock (or a little firmer) suspension to a firm suspension that will allow me to auto x or drift? I know it's probably better to go either stock or "race" suspension but I'm hoping there is a middle ground or something out there that will allow me to adjust a needed.

I know there are certain shocks that is best paired with certain springs. Could someone tell me what springs would go with Koni Sport/Race, Bilsteins, or KYB.

Current wheels: stock wheels but plan on purchasing some 002's or Panasports.

I am planning on getting either NB or FM mounts for the rear.

Thanks

Char

·
'Bout dat life
4,106 Posts
i vote either koni sport/gc setup or the FCM revalved bilsteins/gc(or his new coilovers).
stock gc rates should be comfortable enough for your wife, and then you can adjust the koni's as well. or from what i can remember, the revalved bilsteins are wonderfully comfortable, yet give you great handling, but not adjustability.

the koni race have shorter shock bodies, which means your car will be lower to the ground, but they can handle much stiffer springs, like 550 lbs+

·
Registered
498 Posts
Go with the Koni for shock cause set to full soft, they are smooth on the street. Your wife should be able to hand it. Then when turned up they are great.

As for springs, I am using RB race spring and they are great for the street, to soft for my personal likes, I wanting to go with GC.

I would say either

Koni/RB
or
Koni/GC

The Koni/RB should be about 600ish and the Koni/GC should be about 800ish. I did Koni/RB spring and JR sways for 800ish total.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you everyone who posted.

So the RB's are much softer then the GC? I'm thinking of getting the 002's with 0 offset. Will I need to roll fenders if I go RB springs. Also, I thought I read that the GC "float" sometimes when going over pot holes? How are the Tein basic or SS?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Thank you everyone who posted.

So the RB's are much softer then the GC? I'm thinking of getting the 002's with 0 offset. Will I need to roll fenders if I go RB springs. Also, I thought I read that the GC "float" sometimes when going over pot holes? How are the Tein basic or SS?

If your going to get 002 then I would go with GC. The RB are not that much stiffer then stock, even the race verison, which I have. During hard mountain runs I can rub some with my 15x7 35ish offset. I plan to go to 002 or similar and I plan to get GC first cause I am thinking I will rub to much when drifting.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I remember reading some where but can't find or remember where it was. Which is easier to service/revalve, Koni or Bilsteins? Also, do I need to know anything when purchasing GC? Do I need to specify spring rate?

·
Banned
439 Posts
I remember reading some where but can't find or remember where it was. Which is easier to service/revalve, Koni or Bilsteins? Also, do I need to know anything when purchasing GC? Do I need to specify spring rate?
I am running Koni/GC with 700FR/325RR (Spec Miata rates) and I would recommend more in the back, like 400ish.. The ride is semi-harsh (I work in S. Dallas, TERRIBLE ROADS), but the handling benefit is amazing. The Koni's work fine with the high rates, just probably have a shorter lifetime. People racing Vipers (Bobby Archer) and Miatas (Keith Verges, local Dallas Spec Miata racer, building his own SM-T race series using Koni's instead of the Bilsteins) run 700+ on the Sports and have never had issues.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would I need to specify the rates before purchasing? I looked at some websites and doesn't look like I can ask for certain rates.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts