ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, well as the title says. Im in the market for suspension, i recently sold some wheels to someone and i have around 770 dollars as my budget.

I was thinking about saving up somemore for a lower end coilover kit, but i don't think ill be taking advantage of having a coilover setup as much as i would like. So i think im going to stick to buying some shocks and springs.

The question about rates is what confuses me really though. My friend is currently running KYB AGX shocks with Tein S-tech springs and suspension technique front and rear sways. When i drove his car it felt stiff as hell, but when he took it to the track i noticed still some body roll when driving. I think the spring rate on his tein's are 4.2 kg (230lbs) front and 3 kg (170) rear.

How much does the spring affect body roll or is it dependant on other things ? shocks ? sways ? If i went with a stiffer spring, such as 9kg/6kg would it eliminate body roll ?

Sorry for the newbie questions, but i've been thinking alot about what kind of springs/shocks i want to get and i don't want to make the wrong decision.

Another comment incase this question is raised, I currently drive the car on weekends and i have plans to track/auto-x it in the future. comfort is on the low end of my priorities, i would rather have a very aggressive handling car then it feel like im riding on pillows.

And also i know some of you will be diehard coilover fanatics and immediately recommend tein flex, stance, or jic magics... but its kinda outta my price range, i would rather get a recommendation for a nice priced set of shocks and springs.

Thanks for your time
Scott

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
If your $770 budget is a maximum and you want a good fun weekend canyon carver that can hold it's own on the auto-x course and occassional HPDE then I would recommend one of the following choices:

1. Used Koni Sports or Bilsteins (HD, oem Mazda R-package or Hard S or MSM) rebuilt/revalved for 7k front/ 6k rear springs (stock Tein Flex rates) and eBay threaded height-adjustable perches. Both Koni and Bilstein will work with you to get a good setup. You may ask or they may suggest you cut one or more new snap ring grooves so you can adjust the lower perch height. FCM bumpstops or modified oem bumpstops. If you've got any money left try to find a stiffer front swaybar used.

2. Konis Sports with stock springs, FCM bumpstops, and stiffer front/rear swaybars

3. Tein Basics. If you've got any money left try to find a stiffer front swaybar used.

All three choices work best with a high-performance alignment from a specialty shop. If you get threaded perches you'll get to play with ride height and corner weights as well. The right choice for you really depends on what mix of balance, comfort, and performance you want for the type of driving you plan to enjoy most. A car optimized towards the HPDE end of the spectrum won't be as fun on the street and vice versa.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Shinobix. I went through the same thing when picking suspension for my 91. I priced a set of konis, FCM mounts, and springs. It all came out to be almost as much as a set of coilovers. Even if you get used Konis, to have them valved and modified you're looking at like $150 per. Maybe less but valving is not something you want to skimp on.

A friend of mine turned me onto K Sport. (ksportusa.com) The specs looked good and I couldn't beat the price. MSRP is $1100, and I got mine for less than that. The kit comes complete with threaded body shocks, 8K front, 6K rear springs (with tenders) and upper mounts. The upper mounts are bushed, not a pillow ball so they are a little more compliant. The front assembly is adjustable for overall length, I was a little disappointed that the rears were not adjustable but I like the ride height I got out of it. I left the tenders out on the rear since the springs do not come loose on full extension. KSport claims 36 way adjustability but basically its an infinite feel like a Koni. I set mine at 1 full turn from full soft to get a little more rebound.

Overall I'm very happy with the ride quality and handling. I haven't changed the bars and I'm not entirely sure I will, but then I haven't had it on a course yet. Ride can be a little harsh over large bumps and I may have hit the bumpstops once or twice but for the most part there is plenty of travel on the rear shocks. Which is what I was concerned about. Just one more option worth looking into.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey guys, thanks for all the replys and advice.

I think i may just go with kyb agx shocks and rsr race springs, have you guys heard anything about the rsr miata springs before?

Scott

·
Registered
211 Posts
I third? the TEIN basics. Get those and disconnect the rear sway as needed.

in my experience the AGX and Koni just do not have the same streetable road feel of the TEIN or Bilstein. The TEIN units are designed well and feel very good.

And to be honest, I leave my FLEX at full soft just about all the time--even for Auto-X it felt better. So the Basics are definitely the way to accomplish that. Plus you can still cornerweight and lower the car if you like.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the advice guys i appreciate it. i think im going to save up and go big with the suspension. maybe tein flex coilovers or stance coilovers when i get the money ill decide = )

anyone know a reasonable site to order the stance coilovers from ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts