ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am relatively new to the miata scene. i have picked a suspension set-up that i think might be a pretty nice ride for my first '92 miata. but i would like some opinions from someone that knows better. i have picked the Tokico Illuminas with RSR Heavy Duty Race Springs. the reason for the illumina is because i have a good buddy that has them on his '92 MR2. and they seem to fulfill the job pretty well. so if anyone has any comments and/or suggestions please feel free. i take all good and bad. i just need honesty and some advise. thanks a lot.

·
Registered
592 Posts
My recommendation is yellow Konis on stock springs. The Konis have adjustable perches so you can be 4x4, a little too high, or just right.

·
Banned
445 Posts
i recommend the koni newstyle sportkit combined with fatcatmotorsports bumpstops and shockmounts, i am front upper perch 11.7" and rear middle perch 12.1"

Attachments

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
If you've already bought your stuff, its a little late to ask for advice isn't it? ;) what is your goal for the car?

what is the spring rates of the RSR springs? The illuminas are kind of cheap shocks, but if you are just a beginner or aren't going to track your car much, they will be fine. Its best to match the spring rates to the damping curves. I would call the manufacture and ask them what is the proper spring rate range for the dampers you bought. then use something in that range. If they can't answer, then you should probably look for something else...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no, i havent already purchased them yet. that would be silly. and yes, i do plan to track it every once in a while.
as for my goal, i have been a big touge guy since the beginning. i like to get it sideways when nessesary, but would also like to have a a good grip. am i asking too much? so i guess something adjustable would be cool.
it looks like the Koni is the popular choice here. would they do the job well in my miatas case?

as for the RSR spring rate: F 196/R 140...i think. that may be the rsr down. im not sure to be honest. it close to it though.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
those spring rates are pretty low if you want your car to be set up for performance, IMO.

The best bang for the buck set up out there i think is a set of Koni's with Ground Control coilover sleeves. This is the budget set up.

What is your budget?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats good to know. as for my budget... for something as important as suspention, im gonna say i have no budget. i would really like to do it right the first time. rather than waisting my hard earned money on a set up that im gonna regret. it may take a little more time to save the dough for a more expensive set up, but i dont want to have any regrets.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Yeah if money is no object JIC makes a very nice coil-over or DDM has Ohlins available. Or you could go with the allout custim valved Konis with GC sleeves and hypercoils. Either way it's gonna run you like $1500-$2000 unless you can get a good deal someplace, like I did with my $860 Tein Flexes :)

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
budget not a problem, run a fully adjustable coilover, there are many out there to choose from. then if you still want to do more you can also run swift springs, ive only heard great things about them. personally if i had no budget i would be on some aragostas, ohlins or toda, matched up with some 9/7 swifts. a lot of guys also run tein flex coilovers and say they are pretty darn pimp.

and thats all i gotta say about that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts