ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I've been installing ground control sleeves/springs onto my existing Konis. They currently have FCM top hats and 36mm bumps stops.

I'm now trying to dial in my ride height, I was shooting for about 12.5f/12.75r. I was also re torquing all the A arm bolts and strut bolts with a jack lifting the A arm to release the load and simulate the wheel being on the ground as recommended on FCM website. It says to lift arm up and then continue to raise until the car comes off jack stand about 1". Did it, being concerned about suspension travel in the rear I was looking at the Koni fully compressed and I noticed that there was still about 1/2" of shock shaft still showing between bumpstops and small spacer. Would I be right in assuming that the suspension would not travel any more than this during hard driving? Will this mean I'll stay off the bumpstops?
My current ride height is now 12 1/8"F/12 1/2"R.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Calling Braineack and Greenteee.

From what I can see.. No, the suspension should compress, at times, even more under driving conditions. Just because you've jacked one control arm up against the weight of the car doesn't mean you are simulating various road conditions at speed that would cause the suspension to move even further.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You aren't accounting for weight transfer at all. Your method loads the springs with a quarter of your car weight. Under heavy cornering you will see almost twice that. Then you'll have bump loads on top of that.

Sent from my LG-P999

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
With suspension at full droop, how loose is your spring? You will never know how much travel your shock needs, it's dependent on the grip levels you car produces. Easiest and most foolproof way of finding out if you're hitting the stops is by using a ziptie on the shaft. The spacer you have may be eating up some bump travel you might need.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
These guys nailed it. The loads seen will be much higher than that of just jacking one corner up.

Why is that spacer there? Are you trying to ride your bump stops earlier? Is this on a class limited car and you can't increase your spring rates or something? I fail to see why that would be there for any other reason. Are you running some sort of very tall tire package or something I'm missing here?

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Just noticed the spacer too. White looking delrin object correct? What is that?

·
'Bout dat life
4,106 Posts
To see where the ziptie ends up on the shaft after driving around. Put the ziptie on the piston shaft, drive around, check to see if the ziptie is pressed up against the bump stop. If it is, then you're bottoming out.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys for the replies. From what I understand, yes the spacers are there to protect shocks from traveling that extra length. But, they were on there before when I bought the car which rode with 195x60x14s instead of the current 205x50x15 and stock springs instead of the GC setup. If someone can tell me that I no longer need the spacers let me know. Maybe I'll contact FCM.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts