ClubRoadster.net banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

100% Jakedashian
Who here remembers that the Dodge Ramcharger was a thing that existed? My grandparents had one in excellent shape that was sold for a stunning amount of money in mediocre shape 6 years ago.

(not an actual pic, but pretty close)

Auto, 5.9, 4WD with Dana 44 axles with manual locking hubs. It wasn't super motivated but it felt like an unstoppable force of nature to drive.

100% Jakedashian

These things are like the hidden gem of the SUV world. Can fit pretty massive tires on stock suspension and the available hybrid LSD (torsen with a fluid coupling) is the best thing short of a locker.

XJs are cool too if you're into that kind of thing.

Damn I want a truck now.

Registered
I'm in a 2010 xterra, and even though I'm looking to replace it with a miata, this thing has actually been damned solid. I've only had it for a couple years, but I've never seen the CEL and only replaced ordinary wear stuff: tires, brakes, oil. Only getting 18mpg in a slow and boring ride sucks, but knowing it'll go anywhere is pretty nice. Definitely one of the better vehicles Nissan has made.

I have all the correct opinions.
Hmm. I want to bump up to 18s and 275/65s... but the 4Runner forum is all about the Toyo Open Country, BFG KO2, and Nitto Trail/Ridge Grappler. I know squat about any of those.

Also, what鈥檚 the diff between E spec, C spec, etc tires?

Administrator
Discussion Starter #51
Hmm. I want to bump up to 18s and 275/65s... but the 4Runner forum is all about the Toyo Open Country, BFG KO2, and Nitto Trail/Ridge Grappler. I know squat about any of those.

Also, what鈥檚 the diff between E spec, C spec, etc tires?
Load range. E is heavy. You don't need that, but certain sizes are more likely to come in them. Load range E is typically an LT (Light Truck) tire. As in like... work truck. Delivery truck. Heavy things. They will hold up to more abuse, won't require crazy pressure changes for towing if you do that, blah blah blah. They're also heavier and in some cases may ride slightly worse. In my experience, the ride quality is still more dependent on the pressure and size you chose. Both the Cruiser and the Monty have E range tires on them right now.

Truck tires are even more of a religious thing than Miata tires. They're all... fine, for the most part. KO2s are always a solid choice. I like Coopers. Toyota guys seem to love Duratracs.

What sort are you looking for?

I think lighter C load tires are fine for my purposes - 99% pavement driving with a few occasional overland type trail driving offshoots. Want to keep gas mileage and road noise reasonable.

Administrator
Discussion Starter #53
You probably don't need anything like the KO2/Duratrac/ST Maxx, but they have pretty good road manners and look cool.

I have STT Pros on the Montero, and they're shockingly quiet. I imagine they'd be pretty much un-noticeable on something made in the last 10 years.

Registered
I have a completely forgettable 2004 Honda Pilot. 240k on the odometer, brown on brown on rust with a check engine light I don't care to fix. But its all wheel drive and with a set of snow tires gets my kid to hockey tournaments all over the state. I don't think I have even taken a picture of it in the 8 years we have owned it.

You probably don't need anything like the KO2/Duratrac/ST Maxx, but they have pretty good road manners and look cool.

I have STT Pros on the Montero, and they're shockingly quiet. I imagine they'd be pretty much un-noticeable on something made in the last 10 years.

I鈥檓 ashamed to admit how much 鈥渓ooks cool鈥 weighs into this decision.

Let鈥檚 talk about lifts. I鈥檓 thinking 5100s and stock springs - possibly a new UCA for alignment purposes. Thoughts?

Administrator
Discussion Starter #60
Is that a lift because of the different spring perch locations on the 5100s or something?

41 - 60 of 91 Posts