ClubRoadster.net banner

101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
I have all the correct opinions.
9,205 Posts
More expensive than the Generals in the stated size, and have seen folks have a hell of a time balance them. Who knows - it's the internet and I've seen similar reports about the Generals. The Cooper ST Maxx are ideal, but not sure I can justify that cost. The only thing the Falkens have going for them, for me, is that they're C rated and not E rated. I just don't need an E rated tire.

·
Murse Magnet
7,307 Posts
Here is a link to amazon to buy the Falkens FWIW at $183 shipped. Overall over 5 tires, it would be about $85 less than the Generals.
I only mention this stuff because I will be in the same boat as you looking at the same size tires and I was favoring the falkens. I had the Generals on my bus and they were ok. I wanted to run them on my lexus 4runner but I was reading that they are kind of an out of date design when compared to newer tire tech. Hence me looking at falken.

·
9,205 Posts
Andy, Walmart has the Wildpeak AT3W in 275/70/17 for $183.82. I asked Discount Tire to price match - we'll see. 5 tires for <$1k sounds like a deal to me. Besides, I may want to step up tp 33s once I have a lift and new wheels, whenever that happens, so I won't feel so bad if I toss these in 20k miles.

·
Murse Magnet
7,307 Posts
Will do. DT price matched, so I ordered them today. Will have them on by end of week (stock wheels and suspension for now).
Bilstein 5100 for the fronts on the second from bottom spring circlip clip and a rear spring lift block aren’t bad ways to do a lift on a budget. Should net about 1.5 inch in front and whatever you like for the rear. I did the Bilstein method for the front and left the rear stock to level out my suspension.

·
9,205 Posts
Bilstein 5100 for the fronts on the second from bottom spring circlip clip and a rear spring lift block aren’t bad ways to do a lift on a budget. Should net about 1.5 inch in front and whatever you like for the rear. I did the Bilstein method for the front and left the rear stock to level out my suspension.
I'm thinking Eibach Pro Lift, but Eibach is supposedly working on a "stage 2" version of the current kit (which is backordered anyway). Toytech offers the Eibach kit preassembled with stock top mounts and hardware, which makes it basically plug and play (no spring compressors required).

I may also get SPC adjustable UCAs to install while I'm in there, so we're looking at a relatively decent expense and work that I'd rather not do in the comfort of my 110*+ garage in the summer, hah.

Realistically, this will all wait until the fall / early winter.

·
Murse Magnet
7,307 Posts
I was cross shopping the spc and the freedom off-road.

On ih8mud there is a post about a particular rock auto part to order and what is received is the spc upper arm branded spc but sold as a different name.

The freedom off-road isn’t adjustable but it gives the same benefit as the adjustable spc at max caster correction. I was planning to go with the freedom because it was marginally less expensive and I’d rather have fewer adjustments and just adjust through the eccentric bolts on the arms.

I figured I could always use more caster. Especially if I lifted the front slightly.

Freedom OffRoad Front Upper Control Arms for 2-4” Lift 2003+ 4Runner 2007+ FJ Amazon.com: Freedom OffRoad Front Upper Control Arms for 2-4” Lift 2003+ 4Runner 2007+ FJ: Automotive

·
Murse Magnet
7,307 Posts
Will do. DT price matched, so I ordered them today. Will have them on by end of week (stock wheels and suspension for now).
What are your first impressions so far?

·
9,205 Posts
Hah! I don't even have them yet. Apparently Discount Tire needed to get the set of 5 from 4 different sources. They had 3 last time I asked.

·
9,205 Posts
Andy - initial reaction is that they look great, ride well, and are very quiet. Steering is a bit more vague feeling, but to be expected with large rubber tread blocks. Certainly happy for $1100 out the door. I’ll let you know how it goes when I put more than 1/2 mile on them.

101 - 114 of 114 Posts