ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gnna ask a dumb question. Is there any other trans that will bolt up to the miata engine with little fab work? Mines gone and miata trannies are hard to find right now. Maybe an rx7 gearbox? Or something else?

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Nothing is a direct bolt on. There are adaptors and what not, but it's will be an much much more expensive and laboring route to go.

The rx7 turbo 2 transmission can work, but it needs some pretty hefty modification too.

Bottom line unless you have over 300hp just keep looking for a miata trans. I'm sure there are some on eBay.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I figured but wasn't sure. Thanks. I could always tell myslf I have 300hp and that's why it broke:p

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Well I said 300hp because you'd probably spend a couple grand getting a different transmission in there properly. You could find a 6 speed miata trans for $600-700. A 5 speed should be 100-300 depending on mileage and condition. It just doesn't make sense switching unless you need it.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya, its gunna get another 5 speed. The 6 speeds are overpriced, and the gearing is way too short for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You can swap the guts from an NA RX7 trans into the Miata case. The added benefit is the OD on the RX7 trans is .70 instead of .83

I have done this swap on my Miata and am getting 35mpg highway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts