ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've noticed that we share a lot of things on this forum. we swap ideas, knowledge, advice, pictures, experience, etc. but never until now has one come up with the idea to maybe even swap cars, or parts for xxx amount of time. this idea came knowing my current status is broke. but why let the fun stop? its not breaking any laws or forum rules if no one is intending to steal! so if anyone is interested in this idea, i have a barter for a stock set of 7 spoke 14"wheel for my 15" five spoke i'd like to experiment in the wheel section.

new experiment for topic will start thread with "swapping".

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
I think it's an awesome idea even it it is a little bit hippy. I grew up in Ithaca and all the poor hippies trade with Ithaca Hours. Bartering still serves us well and is tax free! I think the great thing about a club is forming trusting relationships with other like minded folks who are willing to help out, lend a hand, and make the group stronger as a result of its combined contributions. I like where this is going.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
legal issues abound.

in a nutshell, it's all about liability. What happens if someone scrapes your rims? Or you think they did but they deny? bigger problems arise with car swapping.

great idea in theory, and i hate being the devil's advocate (hell, i'd love to swap rims around for new looks), but i'm a lawyer. :oops:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks. i know ppl will be a bit skeptical at first, that why i'll start with the first barter as my 15" five spoke for ur 14" stock 7 spoke. both parties will have nothing to loose. they're hardly worth the stealing. it'll work if u don't keep the mentality of los angeles back in the 90s. lets give it a try. and if it works out, my group can spread the word, and sooner or later, it'll spread like wildfire. maybe auto parts crime will go down and performance manufacturers will also be forced to lower their ridiculous retail price to keep with the trend!

i covered some bases... it seems like a win-win situation and what this tuning crowd needs.

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
i think you would have to keep swapping of parts on a local level, as shipping rims or cars would be way too expensive, even for those that are not broke.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Yeah, it only matters if you care a great deal. In my driving club I let people borrow my car all the time and I even let them auto-x it! If it blows up while in their possession I just write it off figuring it was going to blow up anyways so perfect time for a rebuild. However, the issue gets more complicated when you let your property out of sight for an extended period of time. I'm always lending shift knobs and the like out to friends to try out. I figure if something happens they'll make it right and if they don't then maybe I need to move on to new friends.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
violation: thanks for the input. thats why i'm not starting with something crazy. just with something small, and of equal value. ideally, its from my idea of trade, and indecisively to buy. so why not just try it out and come up with ur own agreement. being thats its in a computer, meaning that its also documented!

·
Banned
8,938 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok... but that seem to be more of an internet scam. i think my plans are more for like barters locally for those that may feel comfortable enough to exchage parts. obviously of equal value for maybe an agreed period of time. i think ppl should have the common sense to get personal info ie. DL#. and such. and only swap parts they feel comfortable with. only for the sake upon their written agreement if they decide upon one.so no-one is left with nothing in case if said part were damaged or other party decides to run and keep the parts on you. get my drift? of course these agreement has to be made in person.

i read that thread btw. and that... that is something else. completely disgraceful. i hope jason castellani is his real name so tuner shops will never hire this guy or do business with him knowing how low this guy will go for a mere $200! thats just pathetic.

but thanks for the info.
as for the barter, its still a GO! i hope u don't feel discouraged, or welcome others in discouragement from your own fears.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
I think this is an excellent idea.

A way to keep both parties liable for damage(s) is to have some sort of deposit system. (i.e. you put the amount it would cost to repair /replace the item if lost or stolen in a jar)

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you know what, thats another better idea for the system.

i.e.: we swap wheels. valued at 200. we switch back, but one accused its too damaged to accept back. lets say if u accuse me of damaging your rims, i return ur set but receive 1/2 the value of it in cash without receiving my rims back.

i don't think someone will take the time to undersell themself for 1/2 the price and end up with nothing... and if any party damage wheels beyond use, i don't think they'll contact you back, makin it a fair trade. no-one is empty handed.

ideally, of course. if said example, works. its better if it is on a written agreement. the above mentioned is only used as example.

this system already exists. but usually amongst friends...which friendship usually ends due to lack of agreement. or a written one in this case.but who cares if its only amongst the car club members.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
H_C, ur example is fine. but who keeps the money? =) it works if its a pay on return policy. so if one damages it, its already considered yours, so why bother trading back?
so in other words, treat in as your own. and if you think you can trade back without the other knowing(which hardly happens) you're at more of a loss than any gain.

there obviously is in no need to come up with such complex agreement. just swap parts that you actually don't mind trading if anything shall actually happen.

·
Registered
592 Posts
91 Eunos borrowed my car to take to Deal's Gap. Several days later a rim came up bent (very minor still not sure if it was him or me that bent it) He ordered a new rim no questions asked!

Kung Fu Jesus and I swapped rims SSRs for Wats. I wanted/needed regular tires to drive from Atl to Ca, his car was being towed (I run A032s on my Wats) we still haven't figured out the term, conditions or final disposition of the swap, but I like rim swaps.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
glad to hear its at least a working system to some degree. thanks for posting your examples trophy.

but i think that is just the begining with rim swaps. other parts that doesn't include wear and tear can also come into play if tire wear is a major concern for you.

maybe someone might wanna try out a hard-top for a c/f hood. and i bet this is something most ppl may wanna try if they live in a cold area being its close to winter and all in cali.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts