ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if ANYONE OTHER THAN GV makes a single round taillight conversion. DOESNT HAVE TO BE A KNOCK OFF. just not 2 or 3 round taillight lenses. I just dont care who makes it. How about lip spoiler options anyone make somthing like the GV or is that taboo as well...

btw I found plenty of rota threads... so not all "knock off" talk is bad here... just when you feel like enforcing it? sweet.

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
this is a 3 piece spoiler but still nice lookin imo.

http://eastcoastmiata.com/m1spoiler.html

it is kinda big compared to the single piece ones that mount just to the trunk

btw I found plenty of rota threads... so not all "knock off" talk is bad here... just when you feel like enforcing it? sweet.
as far as ive seen, its enforced when it is a matter of this forum facilitating the copying. CR.net cant control what people do outside of the forum.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
hmmmmm.... I would imagine that It would not be all that hard to pick up a set of NA tails and make yourself something to taste.....

gut the tail lights... modify the outsides by either adding a single lens in the appropriate area and painting the rest body color.... or removing the outside lens completely.... and using it to make what you want....

·
Mufasa in Training
33,002 Posts
Stand down, Sid.

Rota (and Watanabe, for that matter) are established companies with their own customer base who both make, among other things, their own version of a time-honored wheel design. Rota in particular makes wheels that, while similar in design to say a Mugen MF8, are slightly heavier (though reasonably light) and, due to different manufacturing techniques are able to offer a relatively strong wheel at a reasonable price. That isn't to say they don't have their own designs once in awhile.

·
because **** you
6,665 Posts
I second this, saying rota is ok but nothing else is because they are heavier and slightly differant than the original is BS. Rota/Drag and several other well known companies you let slide make knockoffs of real stuff and it hurts real manufacturers, end. Someone needs to take one side and stand by it, either let people talk about knockoffs or don't.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
boogie van: thats a bad spoiler! I really like that, but I was actually thinking the chin(?) spoiler? front one... I dont like that big one, I like the gv and oem ones but wondering what other options are similar. nbd though, prolly end up with the oem. And I never asked anyone to make or sell a copy, I asked if they exist. big difference. then I posted again. and again.

airbrush: I do have a spare set that I was thinking about trying somthing like that but I'd rather not, Im crap at that type of work. I was saving them for my polishing project.

Ive seen ones like this, and I like them but I dont know who makes these, and I prefer the single lense...

bryan: stand down? haha, no. I had a valid question and got locked before I could even ask a follow up. no.

jesseclee: I thought about it but the lense is too small for what I really want.

·
3,542 Posts
Sid, the ideas presented here seem pretty good! I don't know of any other company that makes a single light tail...good opportunity for an enterprising individual.

·
Mufasa in Training
33,002 Posts
I second this, saying rota is ok but nothing else is because they are heavier and slightly differant than the original is BS. Rota/Drag and several other well known companies you let slide make knockoffs of real stuff and it hurts real manufacturers, end. Someone needs to take one side and stand by it, either let people talk about knockoffs or don't.
Prove to me that sales of the Konig Helium have hurt sales of the Volk CE28N and I might believe you. That's like saying the Kia Amanti is going to hurt sales of the Mercedes E-Class.

·
3,542 Posts
Sid: Those lights are made by Zoom Engineering, BS Hayashi, and Barchetta (I'm sure I forgot someone). Brightning and IL Motorsposrt also make tail light covers with 2-3 round openings.

·
because **** you
6,665 Posts
Prove to me that sales of the Konig Helium have hurt sales of the Volk CE28N and I might believe you. That's like saying the Kia Amanti is going to hurt sales of the Mercedes E-Class.
Grab me Volks year to year or month to month retail numbers for CE28 line and i'll do the best I can to convince you. And no it's definitely not, the main reason a majority of people buy Heliums is because they look like CE28s but are cheaper and easier to get, it's convenience. Which is what somebody would bring here if they were trying to copy the GV tail light and market it.
It's no different than the Konig situation, I don't know why you can't see that or are denying it?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bryan: stand down? haha, no. I had a valid question and got locked before I could even ask a follow up. no.
Don't presume to tell me how to act, Sid. You're the one who is acting up. Besides, I am really not in the mood.
Woah killer, dont "presume" to think you have any authority over me, what I think or what I say (that is unless you plan on editing every post). Your mood dosent concern me, what does is the "moderation" of these threads.

Besides "acting up", are you serious? You mean I dont back down in the face of ClubRoadster authority? no. I will admit that I was a little childish when I posted my 2nd post but it was really more aimed at the fact that my post was locked to protect... somthing, what I dont know.

I posted a valid question and was dismissed. I did it again (less effectively), and was again dismissed. I did it a 3rd time... Does it look like Im going to stand down for you or anyone else? no. I would do it a 4th, but I got my answer, thanks Greg.

Im sure glad you set me straight. but really this is the type of comment you should have pm'd about. but ya know, flex... Besides your point about proving what hurts sales kinda missed, the point. The burden of proof isnt on him, its on you since you're the one enforcing the rules.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
...but I dont want a copy, I just dont want to spend 800$ if that means I dont do anything thats cool to.

I wanted to know my options and alternatives...

I said knock off and copy because its my favorite but that was answered and locked before I could ask my folow up...

·
Registered
692 Posts
why all the fighting? we drive the official car of palm springs and san francisco but we trash talk like we drive lifted fords... what up with that?

·
Registered
469 Posts
OK well he doesnt want one.

Well easy bro, its no fighting. I guess maybe its the way mods sometimes come across.

A few mod lines were kinda not OK. Ya know.

I also hate big trucks.

I also think a few copies would be good for the economy. Bullshit insane prices for these products is stupid. A nice affordable copy would be nice..

-Jeff

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
I also think a few copies would be good for the economy. Bullshit insane prices for these products is stupid. A nice affordable copy would be nice.
We've discussed this issue time and time again. CR.net has decided that it doesn't want it's space or bandwidth to be used to facilitate the knockoff of Roadster parts in particular, especially when someone is using the boards to make a cheap knockoff of one of our friend's parts. CR.net is NOT the place to talk about it. Plain and simple. You don't like it then play elsewhere. It seems that sometimes people are posting in a way to purposely to provoke a response from us which isn't cool. Stop complaining about it and move on.

We're trying to cultivate a certain attitude here for our little scene. Please everyone chill out and realize we all have Roadster passion and enjoy driving and tuning our cars. We don't need people getting all aggro on the boards about this.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts