ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car stopped sparking 1 day after jump startng it.
so far ive changed the plugs,leads,coilpack,80amp main fuse and igniter and still no spark
now i think its the alarm.its a flashpoint alarm and it never worked since i got the car but could it still immobilise the car?
im getting fuel and compression just no spark.
so does anyone now how to take one of these out?
how many places are they normally spliced nto the loom?
i took out the glovebox and there was a little blue controller thing for the alarm wired in with 1 wire connected to nothing.
ive tryed calling an auto electrician but he doesnt answer the phone.
car hasnt ran in over a month now and im desperate to try anything.
thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
We talking aftermarket crap alarm?

First, start looking around for a valet switch, they are usually on either the underside of the dash or the kick panel down by your left foot, or right foot if that's what side the wheel is on.

It could look like this...

Or this...

If it is the push button type, push it and turn the key to the on position while holding in the button, then turn it off while still holding the button and then back to on. This should put the alarm into valet mode if it is the alarm. If it is a switch type, turn the key on, flip the switch from how you found it and turn the key off and it will put the alarm into valet mode.

The car may have been in valet mode since you bought it and killing the battery may have switched it back on. At any rate if it is the switch, it's a quick and free fix. Take a good look around down there as sometimes installers dont want to cut into the plastic so they leave them dangling or zip tie them to something else.

That part is simple but if there is no valet switch you'll need to hunt down the brain under the dash to find where they cut the big red wire that runs from the ignition switch to the starter. You can safely jump the two ends, bypassing the splice and see if this is the problem but be careful as one end is hot.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Damn wish id known this when i bought my car. I have a push to start button bypassing the crap alarm because the previous owner had issues with it. I found what was probably the valet switch under the ash tray but wasny sure what it did so ended up ripping it out along with the alarm brain when i rewired my stereo. I wonder if fixing the ignition is just a matter of finding and connecting those 2 wires..

·
Registered
945 Posts
Damn wish id known this when i bought my car. I have a push to start button bypassing the crap alarm because the previous owner had issues with it. I found what was probably the valet switch under the ash tray but wasny sure what it did so ended up ripping it out along with the alarm brain when i rewired my stereo. I wonder if fixing the ignition is just a matter of finding and connecting those 2 wires..
Guarantee it is. You most likely pulled a connection or lost an important ground in the process. retrace your steps and you'll find the missing link somewhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts