ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Esteemed Member
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Waltrip's crew chief thrown out for illegal substance

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) - The Daytona 500 is supposed to be a NASCAR celebration. A cheating scandal has made it a mockery.

Five teams have been busted for breaking the rules, including two-time winner Michael Waltrip, who humiliated Toyota by flagrantly violating the code of NASCAR's garage in the Japanese automaker's debut.

Waltrip lost two key crew members Wednesday when NASCAR penalized his team for using a fuel additive in preparations for the Super Bowl of racing. It continued a weeklong crackdown on cheating by a sanctioning body fed up with teams' continued attempts to flout the rule book.

?It's been rough on everybody; we're here to celebrate a race,? said NASCAR competition director Robin Pemberton. ?Instead, we're busy dealing with all of this.?

Waltrip's crew chief and team director were suspended indefinitely after a fuel additive was found during inspection. But Waltrip, docked 100 points, will be allowed to participate in today's races that determine the field for the 500.

David Hyder, his crew chief, was thrown out of the garage and fined $100,000 - the largest fine in NASCAR history. Team director Bobby Kennedy also was kicked out.

NASCAR Nextel Cup driver Michael Waltrip waits in the garage as his crew hurries to prepare his backup car at the Daytona International Speedway in Daytona Beach, Fla., Wednesday. NASCAR officials confiscated the primary car of the No. 55 Toyota team as a result of rule violations found during pre-and-post qualifying inspections for the Daytona 500.
http://www.columbustelegram.com/articles/2007/02/15/sports/sports3waltrip.txt

Apparently 100 points off is is alot:
http://www.nascar.com/2002/kyn/nascar_101/02/02/Points/

Can we say RWNDSTERED?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Toyota really had nothing to do with it. The other Toyota teams had no problems, it was just Waltrip's team.

I personally want to see Toyota do well in NASCAR. It's been a GM/Ford dog and pony show for too long.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Technically, it was ether, which teams are allowed to use to assist hot starting, for instance, after the car has stalled out while in the pits. From what I've been told, almost all teams use a small tube that feeds the intake manifold to spray a quick shot when needed. Apparently, Waltrip's team left the tap open while on track to dump ether into the intake manifold as sort of an octane booster to extract more hp. Too bad for Toyota. This isn't the first time Toyota has been marked by cheating. Check out this article about Toyota Team Europe's one year ban from WRC in 1995 for using illegal turbochargers.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
is it any wonder that this is the kind of behavior and reasoning you get from people who like to drive around in circles for hours? #-o

·
2,708 Posts
Technically, it was ether, which teams are allowed to use to assist hot starting, for instance, after the car has stalled out while in the pits. From what I've been told, almost all teams use a small tube that feeds the intake manifold to spray a quick shot when needed. Apparently, Waltrip's team left the tap open while on track to dump ether into the intake manifold as sort of an octane booster to extract more hp. Too bad for Toyota. This isn't the first time Toyota has been marked by cheating. Check out this article about Toyota Team Europe's one year ban from WRC in 1995 for using illegal turbochargers.
The difference being that the WRC was a "works" team, being run my Toyota people. Regardless of ultimate accountability, it sucks for everyone involved indeed.

I'm routing for Toyota this year also because if they do good, you better believe Honda is not too far behind. They HATE each other when it comes to motorsports!

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
True, people should be aware of the distinction between privateers using Toyota equipment (even @ top levels of motorsport) and true factory teams. It seems that in Nascar manufacturers are involved in the marketing, sponsorship, and some engineering aspects but day to day decisions are most often made by the individual teams themselves although there might be some cooperation among the various teams if a manufacturer's or constructor's championship is on the line. All teams cheat in Nascar. It's such a competitive environment that the risk is necessary at times. Waltrip just had the misfortune of getting caught and then not fixing the mistake properly before heading back out on track resulting in a double whammy.

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
Actually some teams are complaining that the 100 point penalty isnt enough. A few years back someone was penalized for the same thing, and lost more points. One of Nascar's biggest challenges is being consistent with how they handle things like this, and you can always count on the other race teams to pipe up when an inconsistent ruling comes around.

There were also 4 other teams that were caught cheating in preparation for the race, I dont know if it was for the same thing, but I read about it on the Sports Illustrated website.

·
CR.net Supporter
2,964 Posts
Kasey Kane also got caught for having a hole in the fender. This is usually covered by duct tape but there was a rip and he got fined. I believe having a hole in your fender causes some kind of pressure and makes the car go faster. Thats what my cousin said at least.

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
nascar determined that it was not the teams fault, although in the same the article I read stated that one of the mechanics incorrectly installed a suspension component. so how does that not make it their fault? lol

·
Registered
514 Posts
I dont even see how Toyota can even be in NASCAR, dont ALL the cars use the same Small block Chevy motor? Or at least SBC based motor?

-Jeremy

·
Registered
514 Posts
I must be mistaken then. I was under the impression since they wanted NASCAR to be a "driver's race" they mandated one engine for all cars. And i thought that engine was SBC based.

-Jeremy

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
I must be mistaken then. I was under the impression since they wanted NASCAR to be a "driver's race" they mandated one engine for all cars. And i thought that engine was SBC based.

-Jeremy

You might be thinking of IROC or something. Nascar is limited in the way they must all use carbed V8s using pushrods with the same air inlet size and some other junk. Toyota had to use some foundry they owned in China to press their blocks cause none of their other facilities were low-tech enough to make something so out-dated.

·
Registered
339 Posts

-Jeremy
not currently, but just watch for the "car of tomorrow" where everyone will basically be driving the same car so these variables won't be around so much anymore.

·
Registered
514 Posts
yeah... many "new" cars are boring old boxes these days.

-Jeremy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts