ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Supporting Member
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently running H&R race springs and Tokico Illumina's which are totally toast and long needed to be replaced. Been debating on going with GC and Koni's or Tein coilovers. Made my decision on going with the Tein's just not totally sure if I need to go with the SS or if the Basic's will suit me fine. The car is an everyday driver and will most likely never see a track. I drive pretty hard and like to DRIVE my car.

For those of you that own or have drove in a miata on Tein Basic how is/was your overall impression and how was the ride quality? Also, if yours is pretty slammed; any issues with rubbing due to rebound/damping being to slow/soft? I wanna tuck tire like my old car! **** looks sick.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i owned tein BASIC on my sc300 (1JZ) and e36 (M3), and very happy with them, since you said it might not even see the track it will be fine on everyday driving.
i track my e36 almost every month and satisfied with them, what i've learned from my experienced is, try to adjust yourself when driving and not to adjust alot on your suspension, it's all in the driver not the car.

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
My wife has them on her 01 Miata. They're incredibly comfortable. For a street car, they're perfect. Couldn't be better. Really competent around the corners too.

It's nice being a two-TEIN family.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
but..but.. there's all those other threads about getting the Flex over SS. Man, you guys got me all confused. :?

although i guess i'll be occassionally tracking and auto-x'ing, so i'm still saving up for the Flex - but am hesitant to go with Flex bc i honestly dont and wouldnt know what most of the settings would do. :)

·
Registered
469 Posts
but..but.. there's all those other threads about getting the Flex over SS. Man, you guys got me all confused. :?

although i guess i'll be occassionally tracking and auto-x'ing, so i'm still saving up for the Flex - but am hesitant to go with Flex bc i honestly dont and wouldnt know what most of the settings would do. :)
i am in the same boat. I have been saving for a couple months. I found a good deal on the flex. I just have to wait til they get some in stock. I can't wait. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have been using the basics for more than a year now and I am completely happy with them. The car is a daily driver, and until the race seats I never had a complaint about the ride quality. They will go lower than you will ever need. So low in fact that I was rubbing the tops of the front wells with the stock 14s, and I could have gone a little lower.

The car has also been to the track quite a few times and has performed very well there. Not too much roll, and quite predictable. I never adjust the ride height, but just being able to set the height right for me was worth getting them.

Hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have had them for a week, no issues so far.
I am at 12.5F and 13R with 15s no rub yet, that I can see.

·
Registered
125 Posts
i don't mean to be a thread-jacker, but need to ask: for those that have NA's w/ tein basics, is anyone using NB shock mounts?

the reason that i ask is because i have been using tein basics w/ NB shock mounts, w/ no other suspension mods, and i can really say that there is only one thing i don't like about it.

that is: going over big dips on the road. not pot holes, but dips. the car feels like it bounces a lot when going over dips. it's quite hard to explain. it almost feels like the springs or shocks are so stiff that the whole car can not absorb the dips which cause it to jump. but this happens only when i'm going straight.

other than that, i love it. it always surprises me that i am able to pushing it futher when taking the same on-ramp over and over. either that or i just suck from the beginning.

cheers,
benjamin

·
Registered
15 Posts
If it was me I'd send Shaikh at FCM an email and ask his advice. He knows this stuff backward and forward and shoots straight - he won't just tell you to buy his stuff if another setup fits the Basics better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts