ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 na which, during this weekend installed the tein basics. A little too bouncy if you know what I mean. I read on miata.net that some owners took out there rear stabilizer bar and that seems to cure it. Does anyone have the same problem? A little help,please! The massage on the freeway is cool but not all the time.LOL

Jerry

·
Registered
668 Posts
A couple things,
The Tein Basic kit has 7/6kg springs.
Depending on the dampening they provide w. that kit I'd guess under dampening is your problem.
Most cars I've seen/driven w. "kits" "sport" etc type suspension have 2-300lbs springs w. OEM type dampening (under dampened). Might just be how they ride.. I have no experience w. this setup.

Anyways, try putting a zip tie your shock rod and see when you lower the car if it's bottoming out into the bump stops.

The rear sway wont tighten up the car at any noticable amount in the feel of the car.

GL.

·
Registered
74 Posts
That sounds strange. I have been using basics for over a year now. I have the car set at 11.5 inch hub to fender, and I love the ride. On surface streets it is firm but not bouncy, and with the toyo tires the ride is almost sedan like on the freeway.

As a comarison, my friends has a s2k with a 1.5 drop (i cant remember brand) and konis all around and I find his ride bouncy.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have both the front and rear set to 23mm as per the instructions. I haven't yet measured the height of the drop. It's annoying though and kind of ambarassing to say the least when people are just looking at you bounce up down the freeway. I know alot of people on crnet have good results but this is just too much. Don't regret it though-got the miata some bling! Car is coming around I'll have to post pics soon.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
i'm not positive but i think i remember reading that the height specs that tein gives are not optimal for the basics. people have the best comfort/performance at around 12.75-13F and 13.25-13.50R I think the tein instructions are much lower than that

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think that maybe the problem of running them too low. I'll see if my settings are lower than the one's you posted. I agree that the instructions were too low, maybe even alittle vague,especially with the shock assembly diagram. Someone needs to re-write the instructions so Jar Heads like me could understand!! LOL.

Thanks,

Jerry

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Tein Basics 7/6 are on the soft side for coilovers, its not a bad thing.

At 11.5" ride height it pretty much slams those bumpstops and gives a crappy ride, sorta like a bucking horse..you`d have to trim the bumpstops to make it more tolerable.

Mine are at 11.5" but I have the ISC topmounts on FCM bumpstops and it makes a world of a difference.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Tein bumpstops have 3 donut like rings...trim off the lowest one, but i need to warn you that those stops are progressive and the smallest one has the softest engagement while the biggest, the hardest.

You`ll get more suspension travel for sure with a trimmed bumpstop but when the shocks do bottom it will be harsher. You`ll want to trim the stops when its off the shocks to prevent damaging and scoring the shock rod.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Tein Basics 7/6 are on the soft side for coilovers, its not a bad thing.

At 11.5" ride height it pretty much slams those bumpstops and gives a crappy ride, sorta like a bucking horse..you`d have to trim the bumpstops to make it more tolerable.

Mine are at 11.5" but I have the ISC topmounts on FCM bumpstops and it makes a world of a difference.
DUDE! your car is unbelievably comfortable for how low it is! I can't wait to get my shock mounts from you!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
lolz nah...i gave ant-fwd a ride to show him what a diff the topmounts made...he`s buying my old mounts.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks 90 im going to do that ASAP, my ride just got bumpier due to the settling period of the springs. One more question; should I buy new top mounts?( ISC mounts) Sorry for the noob question but I gotta know. Looks like I'll be spending more money than I thought! :( Teins were 750 dollars already!! Thanks

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Definitely worth getting if you like riding low (12" and lower)....get the NB upper and lower shock bushings and upper washer as well

I have a thread on the ISC mounts ...you may want to read it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts