ClubRoadster.net banner

Tein Basis w/ NB top hats

9K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  95montego 
#1 ·
Tein Basis, not Tein Basic.

Full disclosure:
I've only actually driven a Miata on the configuration in which I bought Scrat... KYB non-adjustable and cut stock springs. Oh, and I was on 17's 'cause I was a n00b to the nth degree.

Why:
Bought Flipper with a damaged front end to include a bent OEM strut assembly and I wanted something in that illusive "in-between" suspension set-up. Sage advice from revlimiter had me searching out the Basis from 949Racing. I figured the chassis had over 240K on it and an unknown suspension history so I opt'd to order with the NB top hats.

They only, at the time of print, come as 7K in the front and 6K in the rear and are non-adjustable other than ride height. Installation was per SOP.

All settled in.

Other bits and pieces:
Rear sway bar delete
Stock front sway bar
TDR front end links
205/50 S-Drives
No other bracing, etc.

Pros:
-Zero 'clank' which I've experienced in other Miatas on other suspension
-Not too soft yet not too firm (I know this is per-your-butt subjective) without feeling bouncy
-I've never bottomed out; however, lip dictates taking some entry/exit points at an angle
-Complete package is very road happy and I've yet to lose any feeling of the road or control

Cons:
-(Not a con to me but...) This is about as low as they go. 11.25" HTC F and 11.75" HTC R. I have a few threads here and there but wouldn't be able to be level. This is as low as I can get whilst keeping everything correct/level/rake
-That's all I got... I love them!

I've had several PM requests about these and I would highly recommend to anyone looking for a good set-up to replace what is certainly old and crusty.

Oh, I did bend the 'tabs' in and am not running any fender liners. Haven't been able to rub the fenders despite trying. They've been nothing but solid for the first 2000 miles.

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice review Stoly, i have never looked at these before and i wonder how they compare to vmaxx. I just ordered a used set of suspension but if i saw this sooner i might have changed my mind.

Who cares that they don't go lower, stance is definitely mild but functional for a daily driven car.

#11 ·
I purchased mine with JSC speed due to a good deal. But I got the Tein Street Advance which replaced the Tein Super street for my NB.Its similar to the basis except having damper adjustable and I agree with his review. I've had Tein flex before on a different Miata which is a lot more expensive and I thought it was an overkill for a daily. I'm two less clicks up front and four less on the rears. Drives perfect!

#13 · (Edited)
~7000 Mile Update:

I recently completed a whirlwind 3600+ mile trip in two weeks with at least a dozen different road conditions and compositions. The Basis continue to impress me in the catagories of bounce (lack thereof) and driver feedback. They are both predictable and comfortable. Composed and solid whether hitting changes in road conditions or hard driving through corners. At my ride height they are firm without feeling bouncy and I've yet to bottom out either the suspension or my car. So far, so good!

#17 ·
I'm installing my Basis right now. Fronts are done, and I'm finishing up the rear tomorrow.

My only concern so far is that I feel recommended set up by the Tein(11.6" HTC F and 12.2" HTC R) seem too low IMO. But your even lower then tha(11.25" HTC F and 11.75" HTC R)

Have you had an issue with rear bottoming out?
I'm also considering cut the rear bump stop in half?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.