ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So three days ago I got the Tein Street Basis coilovers for my na. My goal was to get some tire tuck at least. Well after I finished I realized that my car is only about .5 inches lower than it was before even with the spring set all the way down. I personally think its because the shock is completely compressed and wont allow it to go any lower. Is that a plausible problem? How could I fix it? I was thinking getting some extended tophats to allow more play in the shock therefore letting it go lower. Thanks in advance. If you need anymore info just ask.

·
··
4,227 Posts
I think you meant to get Basics or Flex, not Basis. And aftermarket top hats arent to lower your car any (eh, I think), they just let the shock travel more to avoid bottoming out.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
I think you meant to get Basics or Flex, not Basis. And aftermarket top hats arent to lower your car any (eh, I think), they just let the shock travel more to avoid bottoming out.
He probably has Basis.. it replaced the Basic.

I can't even understand what is going on in your post. If you were expecting to be able to slam the car I'm not surprised you aren't able to. However, look up forum member Stoly and his car "flipper" that should give you an idea of about what kind of lowering they can provide.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you meant to get Basics or Flex, not Basis. And aftermarket top hats arent to lower your car any, they just let the shock travel more to avoid bottoming out.
Well from what andysautosport told me the basics are discontinued and the street basis are the replacement. I understand the tophats are for more shock travel but wouldnt it make sense that if my shock is completely compressed and that is the reason it cant go any lower that giving it more travel would let it sit lower? i could thread the spring up higher and it would be about an inch until it got off bumpstops

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Wild ass guess: you got the front and rear shocks switched?

I've got BasiCs on my NB. They don't go that low. I'm at 12" front ride height and am pretty close to the end of the adjustment range. Maybe 3 threads left. At the back, I'm around 12.5" and have half the threads on the shock still unused. I'd guess 11.5"F 11"R is the lowest height I could attain. With the old BasiCs. Not the new BasiS.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From what ive read the nb coils go lower than the na, I have the short shock long spring on the front and long shock short spring on the back. I believe thats correct right?

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
From what ive read the nb coils go lower than the na, I have the short shock long spring on the front and long shock short spring on the back. I believe thats correct right?
Longer shock should be front. Check the part numbers on the springs as well.

front spring (assuming you went with ots rates): SA070-01150

rear spring: SW060-01175

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh I lied, I just checked outside the short shock is in the back. My bad guys. Any tips on what I should do? Would the top hats help if im already sitting on bumpstops?

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Oh I lied, I just checked outside the short shock is in the back. My bad guys. Any tips on what I should do? Would the top hats help if im already sitting on bumpstops?
Post some photos and are you sure you assembled all the upper mount hardware correctly?

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
did you tighten anything while the car was still in the air? You need to make sure everything is under load before you tighten suspension components.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
did you tighten anything while the car was still in the air? You need to make sure everything is under load before you tighten suspension components.
I did while it was in the air and then I did it again on the ground. I'm posting pictures in a sec.

·
Registered
145 Posts
well seen as there brand new it will probably take a bit of driving before they settle down to whatever height they will stay at.
cant see them coming down far enough to be on the tire though.
make sure the top mount is all put together right also. thats another mistake i made too.
sorry i cant help more then that.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Loosen hardware. Tighten once the car has weight on suspension. Let suspension settle driving around a bit. Are you using the NA hats?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Loosen hardware. Tighten once the car has weight on suspension. Let suspension settle driving around a bit. Are you using the NA hats?
Yes I'm using na tophats. I think im going to get some extended ones though. Theres absolutely no travel in the shock

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Odd. I'm still leaning towards install error. Or perhaps you received an NB kit (longer shocks).

1 - 20 of 39 Posts