ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What horns out there work and are loud? I'm not interested in the musings of the chicken-sticker set about sounding like this or that classic car.

Auto parts chains carry FIAMM "Freeway Blaster" horns that a lot of people use, that cost about $30 for a hi/lo pair.

Hella Supertones are more expensive ($50) but, at least for me, have the name recognition. I've heard of the compressors on FIAMM air horns crapping out, which doesn't inspire confidence in their diapragm horns, as reliable as they should be in comparison.

Right now I'm liking the Hellas since they seem to draw less current... the FIAMMs are rated at 5A each while the Hellas are rated at 6A for the pair. Are the Hellas worth the cost or are the FIAMMs worth the extra current draw?

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
My favorite horn is the Stebel Nautilus. I purchased mine from Thompson Automotive. It is loud, sounds nice (dual hi/low tone sounds like a Ferrari), compact, super easy to install, has no delay, and will never require any maintenance. I'd avoid any air horn that requires you to mount the compressor separately from the horns and a length of tubing between the two. Freeway blasters are fine, too (piezo style horns) but for $10 more you can get the Stebel which is self-contained and requires no custom fabrication or wiring. It couldn't be easier and it's one of the best mods under $50 that I recommend to other people.

·
CR.net Supporter
228 Posts
I use a Freway Blaster & the stock Miata horn.

I did not like the sound of the blaster alone, so I hook up both together.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They don't tell you on the box, but the freeway blaster should be hooked up in pairs. There's a high and a low tone version. Otherwise you're just getting something a lot like stock.

I looked at the Stebel Nautilus but Stebel says it draws 18A which could pop the fuse. I'm guessing the Thompson kit comes with another relay and fuse but I don't want to bother with all that.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
http://www.thompson-automotive.com/Air_Horn.html

Buy it from these guys. Don't worry or even think about what the current draw is. Just follow their simple instructions and in 15 minutes you're done. No calculations, no trying to find the right gauge wire, no figuring out mounting brackets. I know my time saved is well worth the money. A relay is not necessary here. Thompson provides a 20amp fuse to replace the oem 15 amp. Normally I would never advocate just upping the fuse to keep it from blowing out but there is enough headroom in the oem wiring that it is not an issue here. Hundreds of people have wired up the Stebel Nautilus without any issues in NA, NB, and NC using Thompson's "kit" (which is included with purchase).

·
CR.net Supporter
287 Posts

Buy it from these guys. Don't worry or even think about what the current draw is. Just follow their simple instructions and in 15 minutes you're done. No calculations, no trying to find the right gauge wire, no figuring out mounting brackets. I know my time saved is well worth the money. A relay is not necessary here. Thompson provides a 20amp fuse to replace the oem 15 amp. Normally I would never advocate just upping the fuse to keep it from blowing out but there is enough headroom in the oem wiring that it is not an issue here. Hundreds of people have wired up the Stebel Nautilus without any issues in NA, NB, and NC using Thompson's "kit" (which is included with purchase).
+1

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I suppose I've spent too much time in European cars which had electrical systems so delicate that something like this would send the car up in smoke. :p

Looks like I know what to ask for Christmas. haha.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
You should see the limits people push their oem Miata light wiring to! I think Catman was running something like 100w/120w Cibies on stock wiring w/o any relays but I wouldn't push your luck that far. It's good for you to be cautious with electrics as many people have made mistakes that resulted in their cars/homes burning to the ground. But here the 18A draw of the Stebel horn in short bursts is not enough to overwhelm the stock Miata electrics.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I've been running 100/130s in my Miata for...crap, 4 years now with no problem. No heat, no melting, no blown fuses.

I want to increase the wiring gauge just for the sake of more light though, a bigger ground would be my friend, and I bet I could squeeze about 10 percent more light out of 'em... I jsut haven't gotten to it.

On topic, I've had the Wicked-Louds from Serious Auto in my car for ~5 years with no failures, they're plenty loud.

I want a set of Supertones after hearing everyone in the Subaru community with them though, they seem slightly louder than the Wicked-Louds. If you want sound samples on those, i think you can find some on NASIOC.

·
CR.net Supporter
293 Posts

+1
+2 I love this horn! Easy to install and takes very little space. I love the tone too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts