ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Starts in Great Britain, Stops All Over The World
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week We were looking back at some old EBC Brake photos and brochures from 'days gone by' which then got us talking about the first vehicles we all owned (some of these can be seen in our new 'Taking a Break' YouTube series Taking a Brake with the EBC Team | Episode 1: Group CEO, James Hallett - YouTube

So, the question We have is what was the first vehicle you owned and what was so special or, not so special about it?
Was there anything 'quirky' about it? Did it have a name? Did you do any special upgrades to it?

We would love to see photos of your first vehicle and will be sending some free EBC goodies (Cap, Mug, Pen, Lanyard, you know the sort of things!) to a randomly selected forum user.

Get searching for those old photos in those attics/lofts/garages/under parent's beds or just on your phone or computer if you are from the younger generation.

We can't wait to see what you all used to drive, and I am sure occasionally push!

My first car was a Renault GT Turbo Raider with the colour coded wheels. No real modifications to be done so kept it standard, which in those days was more than enough. I wish I still had it as it would have made me a small fortune......

·
Registered
6 Posts
My first car was a 1966 Ford Mustang coupe....I bought her on April 1, 1989 when I was a sophomore in college, home for spring break. She was an ivy green coupe with a standard parchment interior...an automatic transmission and power steering were the only options in this 6 cylinder coupe. She had 75,000 miles on the odometer and was my daily driver for the next 6 years. I had become obsessed with 1965/66 Mustangs in the early 80s while in high school....every day I walked by a 66 parked on the street whose owner was slowly rehabbing the car. In the following years I learned everything I could about that car and someone even wrote that they hoped I got my Mustang in my high school yearbook!

Even though the car was definitely a ”secretary’s” car, I loved it, while it was anything but fast, it sounded pretty good, always started just happened to be my school’s colors and simply put had style. It was always recognizable in a parking lot and people just new me as the Mustang guy. She was a joy to drive and I never wanted a newer car, even when I would struggle with things such as rough starts or foggy windows on cold winter mornings. I never blinked twice about taking her on a road-trip or out in bad weather (even though she leaked like a sieve in heavy rain.).

Unfortunately the car met and untimely end in a head-on collision, ironically with a 1991 Mustang...but I never lost my love for the Mustang and parted her out before selling her for scrap to a local Mustang restoration shop. A few years later I was able to pick up my “dream” Mustang...a 1965 convertible....unlike my first car, my second Mustang was a 4 speed, 4 barrel V8, with a deluxe interior, dual exhausts, a limited slip and styled steel wheels. In my wedding she led a caravan of 4 vintage convertibles to the reception.

Anyway here is a picture of the two of us on April 1, 1989 just after I brought her home.

·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My first car was a 1966 Ford Mustang coupe....I bought her on April 1, 1989 when I was a sophomore in college, home for spring break. She was an ivy green coupe with a standard parchment interior...an automatic transmission and power steering were the only options in this 6 cylinder coupe. She had 75,000 miles on the odometer and was my daily driver for the next 6 years. I had become obsessed with 1965/66 Mustangs in the early 80s while in high school....every day I walked by a 66 parked on the street whose owner was slowly rehabbing the car. In the following years I learned everything I could about that car and someone even wrote that they hoped I got my Mustang in my high school yearbook!

Even though the car was definitely a ”secretary’s” car, I loved it, while it was anything but fast, it sounded pretty good, always started just happened to be my school’s colors and simply put had style. It was always recognizable in a parking lot and people just new me as the Mustang guy. She was a joy to drive and I never wanted a newer car, even when I would struggle with things such as rough starts or foggy windows on cold winter mornings. I never blinked twice about taking her on a road-trip or out in bad weather (even though she leaked like a sieve in heavy rain.).

Unfortunately the car met and untimely end in a head-on collision, ironically with a 1991 Mustang...but I never lost my love for the Mustang and parted her out before selling her for scrap to a local Mustang restoration shop. A few years later I was able to pick up my “dream” Mustang...a 1965 convertible....unlike my first car, my second Mustang was a 4 speed, 4 barrel V8, with a deluxe interior, dual exhausts, a limited slip and styled steel wheels. In my wedding she led a caravan of 4 vintage convertibles to the reception. View attachment 150809 .

Anyway here is a picture of the two of us on April 1, 1989 just after I brought her home.
What a great story, thanks for sharing. Hope nobody was too badly hurt in the accident. It is amazing how many people say the same about learning all about cars with their first one, something We cannot do so much on the modern day cars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The only person hurt In the accident was me...I have a fading 25 year old scar on my cheek that reminds me every day of that rainy morning.

The other funny thing is that in the spring of 1990 I wrote a paper in my marketing class comparing two of the most successfully introduced cars...the 1965 Mustang and the 1989 Miata!

My love for Miatas started in 1998 when I had a date with the woman I ended up marrying....she drove a triple black 95 Miata that she had bought new...she daily drove that car until 2006 when, after 188K miles, the car was well worn out and started to nickel and dime us to death....the interior was thread bare, she had a horrible valve tick, the radiator was bad, and rust had started to form in the rear quarters...stuff today that I would have just fixed. We ended up selling the car to a Miata enthusiast for $500 and buying a 97M with 50K that night. She was a daily driver for 3 years before my daughter was born and has been a 3rd car for us since then.

Right now she is at the shop getting painted (down to the metal) and having the 2001 Nardi wood wheel I bought installed. She is a keeper and I can’t wait to get her back to throw her around some corners!!

·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She is a keeper and I can’t wait to get her back to throw her around some corners!!
I assume you mean the car and not the wife??

She is a keeper and I can’t wait to get her back to throw her around some corners!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts