ClubRoadster.net banner

2461 - 2480 of 2497 Posts

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,461
Jealous--especially of you getting the little gal involved. I can't keep my son's attention long enough to even bother trying :lol:
HA! She really likes any car project that deals with cleaning. Cleaning wheels, the interior, engine... washing the car is one of her very favorite things. But the wrenches come out and she goes inside to play. Alas.

Mmmm. Very nice. The wood handbrake and shift knob are nice pieces. Not sure they flow so well with the rest of the interior though. Always happy to see new pictures of Sharka though!
Agreed. The wood doesn't really flow. Cold metal looks better. But damn do I love the wood grips. I know I'll tire of them eventually, but they're my jam right now.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
HA! She really likes any car project that deals with cleaning. Cleaning wheels, the interior, engine... washing the car is one of her very favorite things. But the wrenches come out and she goes inside to play. Alas.
She and I would get along great. 🤣

·
Mufasa in Training
31,691 Posts
Well, I guess I shouldn't feel bad. I don't clean very often :lol:

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,464
Sharka's alternator was getting weak, so I went to a huge amount of trouble to figure out how to mount a non-stock one.

I did a http://revlimiter.net/blog/2017/08/non-stock-alternators-that-fit-miatas/ with 30 pix. Some of which have Iron Giant in them. And since only 20 pix fit here, I'll just be posting a summary.

I got an FD (100 amp) and a Kia (110 amp, 99-01 Sephia) at the suggetion of MT. There wasn't any spoon feeding and I had to do some trial and error to make them fit.

The FD needs a longer bolt. I used a spare power steering bolt. It's slightly too long, but 2 washers make it work.

This is how it bolts on without modification. That's as close to the block as it can get without some hacking.

If you grind and cut these parts from the case, it bolts up well and can fit a stock belt.

the Kia...

Without modification, it cannot be tensioned at all. The Kia bolts up and uses the stock lower bolt, but no joy in tensioning it.

Once you grind some away from the mounting tab, it works well.

The Kia mounted. Pretty happy with this photo.

Sadly, the Kia alt I got sucked. It couldn't maintain voltage and was worse than the stock alt I pulled out. Fortunately, the FD works great. That's what Sharka has in the bay now.

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,468
OEM NA alt puts out 65 amps in manual transmission flavor and a whopping 70 amps in auto trans. The FC puts out 100 amps and the Kia does 110.

When you're idling in a rain storm with the wipers, AC, headlights, and radio going, your alt will start to give up, even in stock form. Sharka's big FM cooling fans made things worse. I'd see around 11.8 volt at idle with all of that going. I could either rev the engine up (which I usually did) or turn accessories off in a panic (which I did the first time).

FD = no more idle voltage issues.

·
Mufasa in Training
31,691 Posts
OEM NA alt puts out 65 amps in manual transmission flavor and a whopping 70 amps in auto trans. The FC puts out 100 amps and the Kia does 110.

When you're idling in a rain storm with the wipers, AC, headlights, and radio going, your alt will start to give up, even in stock form. Sharka's big FM cooling fans made things worse. I'd see around 11.8 volt at idle with all of that going. I could either rev the engine up (which I usually did) or turn accessories off in a panic (which I did the first time).

FD = no more idle voltage issues.
Ahhhh, OK. Thank you!

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
This past year (Since january) I've purchased re-manned alternators from advanced auto parts and they've failed thrice. This last one has been holding up fairly well- But I have been feeling it being weak and my car being drained by running ac, radio, lights, wipers etc.. Going to have to give this FD alternator a go for the next time!!

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,473
Sharka's rerouted again! The new QMax kit from 949 Racing was just too awesome looking. I bought it the first day it was out.

I found myself with four reroutes on hand, so I did a photo comparison of each. It's a huge blog post with, I think, 38 photos. I'll just link to it instead of copying it all here.

Qmax vs the old guard.

949 gives you everything you need except for a jug of coolant. It's an amazingly complete kit.

The snap ring only lets you install a Superstat. A regular thermostat has too large an outer diameter for that snap ring to clip over it.

On the back of a spare motor. Notice the room for sockets to fit? And it even lets you keep the stock lower stud in place.

Lots of clearance for everything. Lots of room to slide the hose on.

Smooth inner surface. No sharp edges to hinder flow.

Gasket goop applied.

Fully dressed and waiting for installation.

Front blog off plate. Sharka's FM hard lines require me to keep that water neck in place.

In place behind the motor. It was quite easy to get it back there compared to other kits I've used.

BURP!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Amazing thread, subbed! Looking to pick up some gauges and interior bits for my NA soon! Also, are you still in New Mexico? I just moved to Michigan from there.

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,475
California was calling again. Time to hit the road.

(shot by Corifto)

Parked with oldgreyleather's herd.

Yup - that's Sharka and Bucky in California. Corifto drove Bucky and I drove Sharka. MRLS was our destination.

I've wanted to drive Laguna Seca since Gran Turismo 1. Pretty close to a life-long dream at this point.

I just typed up a whole blog post about the KINOD caravan up to Monterey from LA. If you'd like to check it out, hit the blog. But I can sum up here: Bucket List Item achieved!!!!

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,478
I did a huge blog post on attending the Miatas at MRLS event. Check it out for details. I'll post some highlights here.

I got a visor signed by Tom Matano! Or rather, Corey got it signed for me. I had track time during the signing.

I did get to meet him during the banquet. I accosted Tom at dinner. Such a nice guy. He didn't seem to be bothered that I was interrupting his meal one bit. I quickly thanked him and shook his hand.

Saturday parade laps.

Corey and Bucky

Happy parade lap selfie

They tried to do something special for the parade laps at Saturdya’s lunch and get a solid track worth of Miatas going on. 354 cars packed the track for a Mobius Strip of Miatas. There were GoPro cameras here and there on the track to capture the cars rolling past. This was preparation for something they’d do at next year’s (2018) event.

Sharka and Bucky were in the pack flying together.

Speeds were profoundly slow. Super slow. But I took advantage and snapped a lot of photos.

Camera in hand on the corkscrew!

and Gotbluemilk took the money shot.

Sharka, Bucky, and Benny all on the corkscrew together. Perfection!

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,479
Next blog post - actually driving on Laguna Seca in anger.

I dreamed about it for half of my life. Driving on the track? It blew away anything I ever dreamed. Read the post for more babbling and something like 33 shots. I'll post highlight pix here.

That's Sharka's garage for the event.

I was originally invited to show off Sharka in Garage Star's garage for the event. I was super excited to have a nice spot to park and G* thought Sharka might bring in a crowd. Then a few months passed.

Garage Star could not make the event. They had issues getting parts made and were not going to be able to make a good showing. Cars were also being painted and prepped, but they would not be done in time either. They decided to not come out to the event at all.

So they gave me their garage. Just like that.

Driving on the track was magic. I didn't break and neither did Sharka. We had a blast! And the gotbluemilk pix blew me away. Something to treasure for a lifetime.

This was one of my highest bucket list items. To cross it off? So satisfying.

On Sunday, Sharka hit 60,000 miles while driving on the track, just past the corkscrew. I pulled into the pit road to take pix.

Hitting 60k on Laguna blew away all of my previous milestone pix (mostly 100,000 miles at 100 mph). I still can't believe that happened.

I wanna go back right now.

2461 - 2480 of 2497 Posts