ClubRoadster.net banner

21 - 40 of 2497 Posts

·
SuperMOD
7,045 Posts
Those probax just 10-upped mine, definitely made the wait worth it I'm sure...

But mine had harness holes cut out, I wouldn't dare to do that myself to a nice pair of seats...Will you be running harnesses?

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
are the probax comfy?
i hear they arent? im 6feet 180lb
and im deciding weather i should find myself a set of these probax.. they look prety good and i would sit alot lower and get much more room

or my other choice would be the sparco roadster also good for my size
Comfy is a word, but I donno if I'd use it to describe them. You sit on the probax and forget that you're sitting down. Maybe that's the best complement you can give a seat. You don't sink into it and go "ohhh, i'm SO comfortable!" nor do you perch on it and say "well, I'm in a race seat. now what?" It gives you a very natural posture and just kinda melts away. I'm 5'10" and 160 lbs, and they feel like they were made just for me.

This is a great thread!!! Great work Adam!! Im glad you are getting this back in a flash!! Very inspiring!! =D>

Randy
THANKS!!!! :D I'm really enjoying recreating my car! Getting to redo everything slightly better than before is far more fun that I expected. I'm happy I can share it with everyone here.

Those probax just 10-upped mine, definitely made the wait worth it I'm sure...

But mine had harness holes cut out, I wouldn't dare to do that myself to a nice pair of seats...Will you be running harnesses?
Totally worth the wait! And thanks. You were a large part of my inspiration to hunt down a pair of these. I've gazed at your flickr seat pix many times.

For autocross, I don't run shoulder belts. I just sit with the lap belt and zoom around that way. I stay more relaxed. I'm not sure why. And for track days, I can always swap in my carbon/kevlar Momo seat. THAT is a great seat, but it's not easy to get in and out of for daily driving. I'm gonna hold off cutting holes for harnesses for now. That said, I've found a couple places you can buy the Lotus harness trim pieces.

Thanks for the replies everyone!!!!! I'm looking forward to doing more this weekend.

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Re: Sharka rebuild - updated 7/02

Damn, I've not updated this in a while. Here goes. 2 months of stuff.

I put stripes. Same pattern as the 97 had. I love my stripes.

High tech stripe distribution station.

Stripe #1. This one requires the most measuring. All the rest hinge off where you lay the first one.

The curve at the back of the trunk is THE hardest one to follow. The belt line on both bumpers is nothing compared to the trunk.

Can't forget behind the plate.

Self portrait while striping.

I ripped off the bottom bumper stripe after this and redid it a bit more straight.

Hood prep. Yeah, I use post its to mark where to lay the stripe. I've done 4 cars like this. Works great.

Hood done! It's maybe the easiest panel on the car.

Almost there....

I had to remove the lower lip for paint, stripe, and clearbra anyway, so off it comes.

Done? Nope. I laid this one very crooked. I ripped it off and redid it a few days later.

The same vintage badge that the last car wore. It took that crazy freeway hit and only suffered a small crack. I buffed it out and stuck it back on with a huge smile on my face.

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Re: Sharka rebuild - updated 4/8

I also got my Link installed. My 96-97 Obiwan Link in my 95 chassis!

I contacted Boomslang and asked them if they could build me a custom gender changer to put my Link in the 95. I figured it was worth asking before I spent a week doing the wires myself. They replied immediately and said sure. I gave them FM's little how-to wiring conversion PDF and they went to work. The harness is a thing of beauty. Seriously. Look at it! I drooled.

I plugged it in and it fired up right away. I had no tach, but moving one wire in the harness fixed that problem. I'm way happy to have my Link. I'm good at tuning it and enjoy the keypad interface. And I'll never have to remove it for OBDII testing.

Gonna have to go back here now that my ride height is a little nicer.

·
SuperMOD
7,045 Posts

That said, I've found a couple places you can buy the Lotus harness trim pieces.
The reason I asked is cause I have a set of these, but the PO of my seats cut smaller holes that won't fit the trim pieces, but finished them off quite well...I don't have the balls to go messing with stuff and cutting into my precious seats, so those grommets are just sitting around. They're yours if you want em...just pay shipping.

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Re: Sharka rebuild - dp6061 shock tops

I got a set of Dan's spiffy shock tops. They're in. I'm a little lower now. :D

A "before" shot. This spring collar position got me about 12.5" ride height rear.

The TEIN hat looks sexy, but only gives about 10mm extra travel.

I put the shock together without spring to see what sort of travel I had. The upper a-arm hit the frame before the bump stop even touched. I blame my odd NB Tein HA setup on my NA.

I took a stock NB bumpstop and trimmed off the first third. Slightly longer than the TEIN but a good bit stiffer.

The bumpstop peeks out a bit and makes contact before the frame. It requires a good squish before the frame hits.

Check out that spring seat. This is with zero preload.

So sexy. The TEIN tophats will be installed in the front.

THIS is the best suspension install tip I can give. Leave that little insulator where you can see it! I was so excited to install my shocks that I forgot these on both sides, but remembered when I looked down and saw it on the a-arm.

This was my starting position in the rear. 10.5" ride height. The same preload got me 12.5" with the old top hats.

I lowered the front a bit to match.

This shot would have been really cool if I'd remembered to do one before lowering. I was right near the top of the can before.

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts

awesome rev, I love reading your stuff. the new car is coming along nicely!

·
Premium Member
2,385 Posts

the probax seats are my dream seats too! Wish they'd license the tech to an aftermarket seat company or sell aftermarket seats.

Great thread, I love reading through a nice build like this. Can't wait to see what the future holds!

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'm loving all the work. Gotta get off my ass and swap my 99 motor in next...

Looks great, I dig the r-lip with splitter! And I want your suspension setup!

I'll take the seats too.. :p
Thanks! I cut out the splitter not long after buying the car and it's just been sitting on my workbench for months. Felt good to get it bolted on.

i WILL steal your seats if i ever see your car.
hehe. No you wouldn't. Cause they're in my living room. *kicks self*

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

The Probax are no longer in my living room! I dropped them at the local Spec builder last Thursday along with my shitty brackets to help out as a template. I *will* have them in my car! SOON! I'm excited.

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Re: Sharka rebuild - updated 7/18

Sure wish the main thread title could be updated.... anyways, I have a small update. Got an alignment!

On the rack. I'm kinda disappointed that the ride height looks so HIGH from down where I was standing.

Before-numbers. Sorry for the crappy quality. Manual focus 50mm from the driver's seat. Note the crazy toe-out in front. The rear camber at -3.2/3.7 is somewhat impressive to me too. I don't usually run with that much.

After-numbers. Still in the driver's seat, but leaning over the door to get the shot with no windshield in the way. Much nicer numbers.

·
Mufasa in Training
31,841 Posts

the probax seats are my dream seats too! Wish they'd license the tech to an aftermarket seat company or sell aftermarket seats.
Do the Corbeaus (LE-Standard, LE-Driver, LE-Pro, and LE-X) count? I say that half jokingly because they're not Probax and they're only available across the 'Pond, but they are available and at least somewhat derived from the Elise seat...

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #40

Probax: the company is trying to sell their stuff to airlines last I heard. They may have succeeded by now, since that news is a couple years old. I believe they're also trying to get it out to other OEMs besides Lotus as well.

Also, I snapped a good one that I'm whoring all over CR tonight. There was a crazy lightning storm last night right before sunset. The sky was ORANGE instead of blue, but too bright to photograph. I waited and the storm kept coming. I drove out to an abandoned neighborhood near here and set up my tripod and sat in the street. Click click click. I finally got a GREAT one. This is a single exposure. I can't believe my luck.

21 - 40 of 2497 Posts