ClubRoadster.net banner

Should I wrap the crash pad to match, or keep it black?

• Wrap it up.

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Keep it black.

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Well now figure I should make a "build thread" seeing as I have been on this forum for about a year and a half. I'm going to warn you the pictures wont be pretty, as the vast majority will be from a cell phone, like so:

How I've made it mine

Interior:
Momo prototipo 350mm
NRG slim hub
NRG version 2.5 quick release
Rennmetal radio delete plate
Revlimiter vent rings
Revlimiter hazard toggles
Revlimiter window switches
Miataroadster short shifter stock height
DIY center console
NA6 dash
Joyfast tall shift knob
DIY Door-cards
Blackbird Fabworx GT3 4 point

minimalistic stereo:
spare mounted JBL amp
kicker door speakers

Exterior:
Jass low profile headlights
Jass stealth turn signal intakes
Garagestar plate relocation bracket
static 9 GV replica lip
Hella Supertones
Rice black tailights(soon to be zoom)
Zoom fuel door

POWAH(lies):
Arc induction tube
Arc air intake box
St. Mays center exit exhaust
T3 test pipe

Handling:
Enkei 92 15x8
Dunlop Direzza dz101 205/50-15
DIY coil overs:
NA Bilstein HDs
eBay sleeves
Swift 6" springs 9k f 6k r
NB mounts front
DIY extended rear mounts
Centric rotors
Carbotech ax6 brake pads front and rear
Russell stainless braided lines
Energy suspension polyurethane bushings
Zerk fittings
Racing Beat 1.125, .125wall tubular sway bar
Racing Beat sway bar brace

so lets see where to start this little story... bought the car out of Vermont in the middle of January during the thaw out we usually get got it home washed the road grime off it. Its a 94' and had 137000 when i picked it up has lsd,cruise control. The dealer had it listed as an m edition... and also said it had a timing chain, so either its a unicorn white m-edition, or he had no clue what was going on. i vote the second.

The north country reminded me where I was and promptly dumped enough snow to make it disappear during a storm aptly named Nemo.

So then i started buying bits and pieces as needed. i would like to say i got wheels and tires first but i would be lying I bought an arc induction tube from mboldt and intake box from Low Life first :mrgreen:
then wheels and tires, enkei 92s 15x8 et25 with dunlop dz101 in 205/50.

the lip seems to be less impressive with a note 2.

tires ready for the trip to the tire shop.

Don't Skip Leg Day:

bought a Momo Prototipo, Nrg slim hub and t3 75mm extender from GreenYellow. Snagged a airbag delete from ColbyDangerJones.

Got a set of the brushed window switches from Revlimiter, a week later he posted the black anodized set so i sent him more money for that face plate (he offered to buy the brushed one back) i kept it in case i wanted to switch things up. Also got the second to last set of discontinued vent rings from Rev as well. The model eludes me but they have a rounded outside edge which makes them shine regardless of the angle the light hits them.

sometime after that bought this shifter after phillyb had that raffle a while back, and made this atrocious hand-stitched single seam shift boot.

Impulse bought a glitter gold protege valve cover off of Dmn2258

Then i believe that was the end of driving season so Nemo was pulled into the garage for winter, cuz you know we only get like 5 months of decent salt free roads up here, if we are really really lucky. and so this ends year one.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Re: Nothing too fancy

year two:
parts bought:
Real St. Mays shotgun center exit exhaust from TooTall. I had tried to buy the rep from him the year before, so i guess patience is a good thing, haha.

Jasma Certified

So i combed through the Lazarus build, Stormin's Lexi build, and Joeys cookie cutter build, then having to watch noob upon noob post their random *crap* coil-over threads, then mercilessly having their asses handed to them. I figured that this would be the appropriate route to go.
NA Bilstein HDs(new)
eBay sleeves (new)
Swift 6" springs (new)9k f 6k r
NB mounting hardware(adpena)

Got a set of these, the yellow euro-ish running lights weren't doing it for me
Jass stealth tsi

Waited for rev to release the na8 hazard/light toggle in anodized black and promptly bought one of those, then got a rennmetal radio blanking plate

Spring started in and I got serious installed the exhaust and buttoned up the interior, minus radio.(track day next day)also seen is the zoom fuel door I got from vote4pedro

Planned on having a baseline for comparison on old crappy stock suspension... but it was 40 and raining. All, except the Audi, ended-up facing the wrong direction throughout the day, gt3 included.

Running sans radio for a few weeks really didn't appeal to the gf so i figured my car my way right? so head-unit less it was to be. the carbon fiber cover is so ricetastic, i know.

the amp is in the trunk mounted to a piece of 3/4 inch ply board cut to be a friction fit in the spare tire

i had gotten a set of hella super tones, because a few incidents with people not being able to see me, as well as wildlife not moving fast enough, and boy do they work!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

i'll just leave this here

was messing around with what to put on the console. decided the best layout to my eye, and upon some suggestions was to mount the window switches on the radio delete panel. Need to get some fancy screws/bolts, mount the side boards and wrap them amongst other things.

·
Registered
91 Posts

Loving this build. How do those spring rates feel with the HDs? I was thinking of going that route, maybe even 10k/7k.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

ugh.. suspension isn't in yet because I'm a slacker. The sleeves i got are going to end up putting me too low at my max height. (as it is now i have to crab-walk up the driveway.) so i need longer sleeves or springs.
on another note i got this kit to rebuild my shifter

best way i can describe it is like the bolt of a rifle. Makes shifting precise and tight, coming from the land of old standard pickups and tractors this makes an amazing improvement :bouncin:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

sellinger18- yeah, i saw TooTall post a pic of something turbo related and immediately sent him a message like this:

he didn't even have time to make the for sale thread :blaugh:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

This stuff got thrown on the car a few weeks ago... and then I bought a gallon of the Griots wheel cleaner.

Released the inner ricer on an impulse buy, 50 bucks shipped and better reflector housing was all the justification i needed.

Snagged this joy fast tall from mozartung...god its pretty... and so much classier than the maxx adjustable i had before.

I need to get my ass in gear on building this damn thing... :whistle:
All I'm stalling on now is finding a good place to get some helper springs for the suspension.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

Poly all the things!
did some research: http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/86-diy-how-writeups/43140-bushing-swap-5-tool-no-fire-needed.html
8 bucks at Napa vs 35 for a 3 jaw puller. I'll end up picking up a length of pipe to pull the bushings into, kind of paranoid about tweaking the arms.
Thing to buy still for suspension refresh:
Zerks fittings.
1 set of extended top hats.
racing beat front sway bar.
4 assist springs.
several cans of liquid wrench.
most likely all new eccentrics.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

shitty cellphone picks galore, need to clean up all the dust and crud.
twenty internet points to whomever can tell me why I've pulled the seats and carpet?!?!
Over all I was surprised how little rust there is with the leaky soft-top I have. Tax season was good to me so i will see how far my luck goes and see what i looks like on the floor pan. (FM Rails) I got in on the Miataroadster winter short shifter group buy. this thing will be a whole new little animal come springtime.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I figured I would get a few comments at least or photo-shopped something, i am disappoint.
so I'll provide a clue:

this ring any bells?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

bite away! just please... do a nicer job, mine looks like it was crafted by a twitchy ape with a chop saw:

cheap BOSS Walmart amp install kit
length is approximately 12 3/8"

width is 10 3/8"

I used a Dremel router to round the edges.
I was eyeballing this one all the way, should really make a nicer one, and maybe measure...
version two:

re-cut with a single piece of scrap pine and wrapped in some felt i had kicking around.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Not much of an update the car is still mostly pulled apart. The roll bar should be here Monday or Tuesday, however my Miata Roadster short shifter got delivered and promptly got put in. I did a ghetto/redneck measurement test: a yardstick zip-tied to the e-brake handle and the end pressed against the hvac blower box thing. (its not very precise just an fyi)
Before: ~4.25in of travel at top

After: ~2.5in of travel at top

I can not wait to drive this thing again...to do list(in no particular order)
i Need to get the rails on.
The rest of the rubber bushings out.
Polys put in .
Zerks drilled tapped.
Recover the Na6 Dash and install.
Wrap the door-cards.
Swap in the suspension (finally)
Await the brown Santa deliver from California...I'm sure a few more things will pop up as i go. more updates to follow.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)

Well this weekend was shitty, I had hoped to get this^ thing installed but no dice, not being able to drink water without bringing it right back up sucked, and things weren't much better on the other side of the pipes either. That is not the healthy way to loose 10 lbs...
Anyways here is what was in the back of the parts wagon:

It shall be installed tomorrow after work come hell or high water

Installed,sorta. I needed to grind off an ecu mounting bolt. Now I need to find some seat belt tower bolts that are threaded the whole length. The ones that came in this car are only threaded the last inch or so.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts

Sweet project you got going on... I would honestly just install the bilsteins with those springs... Nice that you're doing the bushings, too (smart that you're installing the zerk fittings too)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Yeah I'm thinking your right, for the time being I will be doing that. It'll be easy enough to add them down the line if i need too.
Now I need the opinions of you gentlemen. I'm in the process of wrapping the dash with some leather:

If you where in my shoes would you wrap the crash pad to match?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts