ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Roll Bar God
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

Just wanted to pop by and give you all some good news - Blackbird Fabworx is gearing towards limited production runs of the best roll bars a miata owner can buy.

(NA fitment GT3 shown, Patrick Vidal photo).

Until recently, some of the Blackbird Fabworx roll bar line up was only available to local customers who brought there car in for professional installation.
This included all the 6 point models, which are considered by many to be no less than a miracle for the immense improvement in chassis stiffness.

Well, here's a bit good news for all those who have been wanting to get their hands on one of the 6 point designs but live many miles away - there is a new version on the way which will simplify the installation process.

The redesigned roll bar will have new front receivers and minor changes to the door bars.
Yes, it will still be more complicated to install than other commercially available units because I refuse to make the compromises that all other manufacturers make - this is the very reason that makes the BFW 6 pointers superior to any other setup with door bars.

However, making the installation process a bit more fool-proof allows me to put them in boxes and send them out for someone else to install, though welding is required and professional installation will be highly recommended.

The 6 point roll bars will be available as a single diagonal, double diagonal and of course the signature model - the Blackbird Fabworx GT3.
All versions fit soft top and hard top, and are available as NA and NB specific models (NA with glass rear window order NB roll bar).

NB owners do not need to compromise on a seperate bolt in harness bar with questionable geometry or single tabs that are even more questionable, Blackbird Fabworx offers an optional NB specific harness bar that is integrated to the roll bar structure and allows full opertaion of the glass soft top.

(NB fitment GT3 shown with optional harness bar)

All roll bars come with high quality black powder coating as standard (much higher quality that some of the mainstream brands offer), custom colors are available for an additional fee.

Final pricing has yet to be determined, but I expect it to start at around $1000 and go up to around $1450 or so for the top of the line setup (shipping not included).

Please feel free to ask any questions!

Moti @ Blackbird Fabworx

·
Mostly Harmless
1,540 Posts
I was hoping you'd eventually offer something along these lines, Moti. Thank you!!
One question (think I've seen it answered in an older thread but can't find it right now): is the OE seatbelt going to snag or generally be bitchy about retracting like with some other bars?

·
Roll Bar God
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WOW, great solution for those who can't bring their cars to Moti in house. In for prices.
Indeed a good solution, but since you're within a few hours of driving, we should still work a way to bring your car in for some custom welded in magic :cool:
I was hoping you'd eventually offer something along these lines, Moti. Thank you!!
One question (think I've seen it answered in an older thread but can't find it right now): is the OE seatbelt going to snag or generally be bitchy about retracting like with some other bars?
Short answer: yes.
There's no magic solution here.
Sticking a tube in front of the seat belt reel creates a misalignment, and misalignment means slower retractor.

I have a couple different ways that are described in the installation manual to combat some of the negative effects, but the reality is that the retractors are likely to slow down a little.

On the positive side of things, those who have experienced my solutions to the retractor issues have reported that it actually works better than many other models they have seen before.
I can tell you that it definitely works a hell of a lot better than the roll bar that I had in my Blackbird (from the most popular brand) and the double hoop that came in my current car (despite having the guides that this brand sells as the fix), so there you go.

Moti

·
Registered
291 Posts
Awesome moti, Im still planning on dropping by. I know I told you jan/feb, but now im thinking its gonna be about 3rd quarter of this year.

·
Registered
267 Posts
seatbelt retraction is really a non issue. yes, it"s a tad slower but , as Moti said, better than many of the other more common bars out there. Of course this all goes away once you switch to harnesses :)

·
Supporting Member
375 Posts
i know you (Moti) just started this thread...

But....

WHERES THE PRICING!!!!

we're dyin here!!!

i wants!!!!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
i know you (Moti) just started this thread...

But....

WHERES THE PRICING!!!!

we're dyin here!!!

i wants!!!!
First post: Final pricing has yet to be determined, but I expect it to start at around $1000 and go up to around $1450 or so for the top of the line setup (shipping not included).

·
Roll Bar God
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd like to offer another perspective to anyone who thinks that the pricing might be on the high side.
Let's say that you buy a normal 4 point roll bar and wanted to further stiffen up the chassis with some bolt in frame rail reinforcements as well as other commercially available door bars, under body and fender braces.
By the time you'll add it all up you would have spent over $1500 which is far more than what my pricing will start at and your car will be at least 50 Lbs. heavier than what my setup will add to your car.
And to add insult to injury, I'm not even sure that the commercially available setup will be as stiff either but since I have not tested them side by side I will not make the determination.

Financing?
You heard about credit cards, right? :whistle:

Moti

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
I just have to give this a bump myself - incredible quality of work from this company, a sort of "everyone else cuts corners/makes sacrifices in their product and we aren't going to do that" approach that delivers the best product. I will never be taking my car to another fab shop for anything, and I couldn't be happier with the madness Moti put in my car :)

-Ryan

1 - 20 of 164 Posts