ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after doing alot of reading on the "other" forum i decided to get a set of BOMZ :oops: coil overs and Fatcat Mounts and 46mm bumpstops. Uppong removal and inspection of the bilsteins the lower bushes were abolutely focked.

I've had the coil overs for a few weeks but just received the FCM mounts. Incase youre wondering in the pix, i have painted my bilsteins black.

First the bad, you get what you pay for with the coil overs, the set screws are too big for the holes. I just redrilled and tapped the holes. The long sleeves for the front are about an inch too long, i cut them down with a bandsaw. Other than that they are fine.

Firstly i removed everything but the spring perch from the bilsteins. I then got a bicycle tube and doubled it up on the length of shock above the spring perch, lubed it up and slid it on (ooers :lol: ). The tube keeps the sleeve true and from rattling as none of the supplied o-rings are the right size. I then tightened up the set screws alternating between them to keep the sleeve true.

The result:

Installing the top mounts are easy as pie. The bumpstop goes on first, then the big washer that Shakih includes. After that , drop on the spring and start tightening down the top mount.

Aren't they pretty?
Front

Rear

I had the lower bushes pressed out and burnt the rubber off the sleeves. I then got 2 pairs of 5/8 ID Energy suspension bushings for replacments. The sleeves fitment in the bushings are TIGHT. I had to put the bushing in the shock then press the insert in slowly. Again lubrication is the key #-o .

My car isnt running so i cant offer up any driving experiences yet but the quality of the FCM stuff is right on. I should have the car off the stands by the weekend so i will adjust the ride height and take pix for you guys.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Nice write up man! Props for getting your hands dirty and experimenting on a budget. One of the fastest guys in my region is running an ugly looking '90 on eBay coilovers. Bilsteins are cool, too, because they can be cut, revalved, and otherwise serviced for whatever you want.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the comments so far :)

I am between countries at university so i can only spend like $400 a year on the car :cry:

The springs on the car previously were WAY too low and soft. All the car needs suspension wise now is

RB hollow 1.125 bar (im assuming the hollow RB bar is lighter than the FM solid one?)
RB solid rear bar
RB endlinks OR find some used NB endlinks, cut and thread them and get a long nut
Weld some bracing for the sway mounts
Poly bushes all around

Some day i will get there :lol:

And yeah the bilsteins are a GREAT platform shock wise. I am very interested to see what Shakih develops mod wise for them. I might send mine to him to get the basic treatment. Don't think i could afford the external resivuar mod :shock:

·
Banned
445 Posts
very nice work!

i am still waiting for some items from shaikh (a pair of his shockmounts for my rear)

i have (down in the cellar) a koni "new-style"-kit (the yellow konis with the 3 perches and the blue koni lowering-springs) and a set of 4 progressive 54mm bumpstops from shaikh

the reason i want to mount the modified nb-shockmounts from shaikh only at the rear is that when you take the same perches at front and rear, the rear height is much higher than the front, and the other reason is, i want a little bit more suspension-way in the rear, cause when i drive along a bumpy road, i feel that not the front is sitting on the bumpstops, though long before the rear is bumping on the gum

i hope my thoughts are on the right way, the whole bunch costs me 550$ and now while i´m driving g+m lowering-springs with short before 111,111miles oem suspensions, it would be another 111,111 on the koni-fcm-kit :wink:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Im running gc/agx/chikara mounts with great success. I love em. It was going to be a temporary setup for like a year, but now I think they are permanent

1 - 7 of 7 Posts