ClubRoadster.net banner

621 - 640 of 662 Posts

·
The colder Adam
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #621
Been quite a while since I updated this thread. Been ultra busy and driving/autcrossing the car very little this summer and spending more time doing family stuff (which has been super great and more than makes up for not screwing around with the car).

Filed this under "I really suck at not buying parts" as I picked up a pair of gently used Willwood Powerlite front calipers. Plan is to buy some Little Big Brake Kit brackets from FM sometime after the driving season (sick of working on the car, want to drive it as much as possible between now and the fast approaching winter in Nov.). I will likely be sticking with the 1.6 rotors since a) that is what I have on the car already, b) I have zero issues with brakes overheating with the very limited track stuff I do as it stands now, c) it reduces current brake weight rather than adding to it with 1.8 or Sport rotors and finally, d) just to annoy people who don't understand how 1.6 brakes are more than adequate for many, many situations.

On the not so great news front, a minor issue has developed with the blower. The little stopper tab finally snapped off from the bypass valve actuator. The DDM Wonderbracket was my attempt to stop that from happening, but it was apparently too far gone. The good news is that the car still drives 100% the same (I have no clue how long it was gone. At least a month for sure) as when it was there. So, I'll be driving the car as is until the end of the season then sending in the bypass assembly to Jon Bond Performance for repair just for my own sanity and to have it mostly permanently fixed. Spoke to Jon Bond himself who was a super nice guy and very helpful.

Here are some random pics of the car that someone at a meet up took.

Only other car stuff is that I'm psyched to hit my 3rd autocross of the year this weekend. I have not done this few events in a year since the first year I ever autocrossed 8 years ago. Oof. And, I am very excited for a dyno day with the autocross club in a couple weeks to see what this puppy puts down and to get a pre-E85 baseline.

·
The colder Adam
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #622 (Edited)
It's been a while since I posted here. An update is in order. Finally got the car dyno'd to see what it's making. Just to recap the set up:
Jackson Racing M45 w/ 62.5mm nose pulled @ 8 psi
MS2PNP
AFM Delete w/ modified DDM Works Intake for the JR kit
RX8 Yellow 420cc Injectors
Raceland Header
FM Hi flow cat
Roadstersport 3 exhaust

Strapped down on a Mustang Dyno:

And the results are...
157 HP and 126 ft/lbs at the wheels.

Pretty happy about that and seems to be decently higher than similar setups run on the more common (and garbage) bandaid solutions that so many supercharged folks insist are just as good as any standalone.

While I am pretty happy at this power level, which is lots of fun without getting me into trouble/breaking stuff, I can't resist the allure of E85, which is cheap and plentiful here in the midwest. That should get me a ton of timing back since I have to retard it so much due to high IATs. It should also get me as close or better in terms of power as an intercooler would without the driveablity issues/need for a dual TB set up that seems to come with the territory on a hotside kit.

But I am going to do it right and wire up a FlexFuel sensor so I can run the range of stuff and still get home should I find myself on E where E85 isn't available.

And since I'm in there, I'll finally getting around to installing the Singular Motorspots Megasquirt mounting bracket and get rid the current "crammed in and wrapped in a towel solution" that I hate so much. I can't see it, but I know it's there and is a kludgey solution. So it drives me a bit crazy.

All that said, that's about all I'll be doing to the car. It's also getting retired from autocross for the forseable future and will be just doing cruising and HPDE duties. It's woefully uncompetitive in it's current state, running in SSM. I thought I wouldn't mind running for fun and not being competitive, like I was when it was an STS car. Turns out... I fucking HATE autocrossing a non-competitive car. It was miserable and I had lost basically all motivation to do it. I really missed the motivation being competing gave me (and helped me justify standing around for eight hours in exchange for maybe 6 minutes of seat time).

So, with that said, brontosaurus and I bought this STS car, which is probably 95% to Nats level prep:

We are currently campaigning this car locally and we'll be taking it to fall Nats in Lincoln as well to pop that cherry for both of us. We have 2 events under our belts and I realize how much I love to be in a competitive car. Also, it is really awesome to buy a car that is pre-prepped for a class and also one where someone else spent a bunch of time/money on. We've done very minimal work, the vast majority of it repairs/maintenance to this thing and that has been wonderful.

So, there you go. You are all up to date.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Very nice! Pretty good numbers for an M45. How's the throttle response?

Also, who tuned your MS2? I put a DIYPNP on my car over the winter and need to get it tuned. Might even make it to an autocross this summer.

·
The colder Adam
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #624
Throttle response is solid, basically as good as stock. I'd imagine it's slightly improved over how it could be with the stock TPS, as I am running the BMW TPS, which variable inputs.

The car was just road tuned by brontosaurus. From what he says, it's a pretty conservative tune and probably could eek out a couple extra HP as is. But, with the high intake temps, best to play it safe. Because it is conservative, I should get a significant bump on E85 when I switch and can better deal with the temps.

·
The colder Adam
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #628
Not really, sadly. My energy has been focused on the STS car for the most part. No mods or anything on the blue car recently. It is just about to come out of storage in the next couple weeks (I hope) and I have a few little things like some minor cosmetic stuff I am going to do but that is all I have for sure. I maaaaay finally do E85 this year but other than that my only plan is to try to drive the car more than the 700 miles I drove it last year. I keep having bad thoughts of selling it, but I am pretty sure that will still never happen.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
I'd enjoy a build thread on the STS car. :) I'm sure others would too. I know I'm needy. :lol:

·
The colder Adam
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #635
Honestly, I've stepped back from it. As I am sure many here are aware, the influx of Facebook into the Miata world has also given rise to a way less enjoyable group jumping on the bandwagon. I hate to sound like a snob/grumpy old man, but it ain't what it used to be so I spend most of my car time autocrossing these days. Me an brotosaurus (who is also still alive) co-own that red STS car and are campaigning it pretty seriously these days. Sadly, that means the blue car gets neglected aside from a couple cruises and driving events per year now.

Sorry to be a ghost though. I promise to do an update when the car gets out of storage though!

·
Mufasa in Training
32,216 Posts
Honestly, I've stepped back from it. As I am sure many here are aware, the influx of Facebook into the Miata world has also given rise to a way less enjoyable group jumping on the bandwagon. I hate to sound like a snob/grumpy old man, but it ain't what it used to be so I spend most of my car time autocrossing these days. Me an brotosaurus (who is also still alive) co-own that red STS car and are campaigning it pretty seriously these days. Sadly, that means the blue car gets neglected aside from a couple cruises and driving events per year now.

Sorry to be a ghost though. I promise to do an update when the car gets out of storage though!
I've been in the community since 2004 (been here since day 1). Lost a lot of good people over the years :(

621 - 640 of 662 Posts