ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may have already heard about this trip being organized, but just in case you haven't, here's a quick rundown. The Donut Run is a FREE road trip which will be held May 12-26, 2007. It is being "organized" by enthusiasts, for enthusiasts. There is no cost to sign up to participate (though you do have to pay your own expenses). Another really neat thing about this run is that participants are not required to do the entire trip. You can join up with the group at any of the checkpoints and participate in smaller parts of the trip if you are unable to do the whole thing!

The spirit of the run requires that participants drive vehicles which would be considered "innappropriate" for a road trip taken across the continent and back. Sports cars, exotics, hot rods, sport imports, classics, 4x4's, motorcycles, art cars, and jalopies are all welcome to participate. RV's, camper trailers, SUV's, etc. need not apply. We already have about a dozen RSVP's from people who intend to participate in various cars (multiple Ariel Atoms, several Lotuses, a Ferrari, several Classics, and several imports so far). So get those vacation days set aside, and be ready to sign up for this event!

The website has already been established at http://www.thedonutrun.com, though it is only just the beginning's of a website so far (still under construction).

Here's the latest news about The Donut Run's route and it's developments:
In an attempt to make include as many locales as possible for the trip, I've revisited the route and came up with this:

PART I (West to East)
-Depart Newport Beach, CA (start) Leave Saturday morning ~8AM
-Las Vegas, NV (overnight) Arrive Saturday, leave Sunday--this leg is 276 miles, ~5 hours drive
-Grand Canyon, AZ (overnight) Arrive Sunday, leave Monday--this leg is 276 miles, ~4 hours drive
-Albequerque, NM (overnight) Arrive Monday, leave Tuesday morning--this leg is 367 miles, ~6 hours drive
-Witchita Falls, TX (overnight) Arrive Tuesday, leave Wednesday morning--this leg is 509 miles, ~8 hours drive
-Memphis, TN (overnight) Arrive Wednesday, leave Thursday--this leg is 591 miles, ~10 hours drive
-Deals Gap, NC (overnight) Arrive Thursday, leave Friday--this leg is 468 miles, ~8 hours drive
-Washington, DC (overnight) Arrive Friday--this leg is 574 miles, ~10 hours drive

I replaced Charleston, NC with Washington, DC to try to get more requested content/interesting stops into the trip. I also added Las Vegas, but am unsure whether we should spend the night there since it's such a short leg from the LA area. If we do Reno instead, we could go direct to the Grand Canyon as the first stop, gain a day for a more liesurely pace for the rest of the trip, and spend some more time in Washington DC or take our time through some areas along the way.

PART II (East to West)
-Depart Washington, DC Saturday
-Indianapolis, IN (overnight) Arrive Saturday, leave Sunday--this leg is 592 miles, ~10 hours drive
-Kansas City, MO (overnight) Arrive Sunday, leave Monday morning--this leg is 484 miles, ~8 hours drive
-Denver, CO (overnight) Arrive Monday, leave Tuesday morning--this leg is 604 miles, ~10 hours drive
-Salt Lake City, UT (overnight) Arrive Tuesday, leave Wednesday--this leg is 533 miles, ~7 hours drive
-Reno, NV (overnight) Arrive Wednesday, leave Thursday--this leg is 518 miles, ~7 hours drive
-San Francisco (overnight) Arrive Thursday, leave Friday--this leg is 218 miles, ~4 hours drive
-Newport Beach, CA (end) Arrive Saturday morning ~8AM--this leg is ~400-500miles, depending on your route. I've given us a day and a half to get from SF back to SoCal, so that we can meander down PCH at a leisurely pace and still arrive during the Crystal Cove Car Show on Saturday morning. This also gives us a little padding should we fall behind schedule during the trip.

This is still a route which is "in the works". I'm open to any input to visit better places, reduce distance, do better routes. Should I do any more shuffling/remove stops/add stops?

M

·
0 Posts
Mr. Woolery-san,

You guys should see if Krispy Kreme or Dunkin' will be sponsors!

(Sorry, I have "sponsors" on the brain!)

:wink:

·
Registered
971 Posts
Mr.Woolery said:
I replaced Charleston, NC with Washington, DC to try to get more requested content/interesting stops into the trip.
Huh? There ain't a Charleston, NC... There's a Charleston, SC and a Charlotte, NC... There's a Charleston, WV...

I may try to hook up in Deal's Gap!

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
dave, if you need it, you can crash at our place in charlotte. we're about 20 miles south of the I77/I40 interchange and anout 10 miles from I85.

we have a grey to make you feel more at home.

i also gotta suggest trying to hit chicago on your way back. soething about cruising lake michigan drive and the inner loop in a roadster that'really f'in amazing!

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I tried to fit Chicago into the plan, but just couldn't do it without making the run pure hell. I'll have to do a "northern exposure" run next time, taking the northern states incl. chicago, DC, and NY.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Mr.Woolery said:
Yeah, I tried to fit Chicago into the plan, but just couldn't do it without making the run pure hell. I'll have to do a "northern exposure" run next time, taking the northern states incl. chicago, DC, and NY.
DC and Chcago are not states, but I think we understand.
Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts