ClubRoadster.net banner

The Fitment Thread

2M views 7K replies 1K participants last post by  jonklonk 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Since people (n00bs especially) can't seem to work the search feature, we're gonna try this.

Post your fitment questions here.

This is it. This is THE place. This is your happy zone. Breathe the fresh air. Feel the low offset Zen start to relax you.

Rules:
0: This thread will be heavily moderated!
Arguing, flaming, trolling, etc will be deleted. Multiple aggressors will be banned.
1: Try not to bash the n00bs. This is their safe zone. Try to point them back to answers that may have been already posted. It's hard, but we can try.
2: Try to look at the posted answers before asking if your Sportmax will fit. This is, of course, provided this thread takes off.
3: Post info with your pix! In other words, if you post a shot of a Roadster with nice fitment, post the wheel size, offset, fender rolling, tire size etc.
4: Roadsters only! Any non-MX-5 shots will be deleted. Do it multiple times and you will get a temp ban.
5: Just chill.

Offset calculator tools:
Really...someone should make a website with http://<br /> http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.aspan application of some kind to work these types of calculations out for those that suck at numbers and math...

Fender Flare thread:
http://www.clubroadster.net/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=15291

How to fit 15x8+0 wheels
by scooby steve33
So the number of people I see asking the same question over and over and over and over made me think it would benefit everyone if we just made a 15x8 0 offset thread. I had some on an NA so ill put in my two cents if other people have info on NBs and so on go for it.

WHEELS:

15x8 0et

TIRES:
you can run a
165 45 -15 really really low profile and stretch, looks like ****
195 45-15 some stretch, looks decent can go low with some camber
195 50 -15 more substantial-looking tire (taller sidewall) may be a tad bit harder to fit
205 and larger going to be tough to fit but can be done

Camber:
First off you do have to "buy" camber. Your stock arm does all the adjusting one should need for these. Use the eccentrics on the control arms to increase or decrease the camber. Then GET AN ALIGNMENT! not one to match OEM specs but to make sure it's not completely destroyed. Match the camber from side to side. check your toe, personally, I try to run very very little toe.

Fenders
A roll is just fine it will work I've done it on 195 45s just fine. A slight pull will make everything easier but is not necessary. I'll say it again YOU DO NOT NEED TO PULL your FENDERS with the correct amount of camber, tires, and ride height it works fine

See less See more
#2 ·
LoL Thanks for making a sticky thread!

I talked to a local friend about the fitment issue I had. So its the Sportmax 15x8
+15 mm with the Nito Neogen 205/50 for me. I hope this thread helps more of the newbs, there is a LOT of conflicting information on the internet.

Thanks again!!!

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Check this out
99 Running as little camber as stock adjustment will allow. Good Roll, No pull Front liners pulled rears still there. VMaxx Coilovers
15x8 et 0 205/50 Dunlops Direzza

Same Car 16x8 Et0 205/40 Federal ss595

At this ride height there was a tiny bit of scrub under heavy load, but not enough to cut into tire.
99 Tien Flex, same camber adjustment on stock bolts Good Roll, Little Pull in front, Hard Pull in rear. Really need to put the aftermarket rear uppers on.
16x9 et15 225/45 BFG KDW
[image no longer available]

Lots of rubbing at this ride height with tall 45 tire
245/35 Toyo t1r

No Rubbing

#4 ·
Things are a bit better on NB (a bit more space under the fenders), I believe that in a NA car you will need to roll the fenders a bit to fit 205s. Also note that not all of the 205s are the same (some tires are wider than the others).

#13 ·
Im looking at the Nitto Neogen 205/50's I can pick up a brand new set for 260 here locally. I think those shouldnt cause a problem. Fender rolling isnt a huge issue either, I have a couple friends around town that have the tools as well as the know-how to do it properly.

Opinion/thoughts on the Neogen 205's?

#5 ·
35 offsets on rolled fenders... u cannot avoid mildly pulling the fenders.
205/50/15 15x6.5

205/45/16 16x7

yes they clear and yes they look very sunk.

0 offset 15s on the same fenders,
195/50/15 15x8

clears but will need more camber... max even.

15 offset 16s on the same mild roll.
205/45/16 16x8

a compromised set-up and works best imo. clears perfectly even after compromised alignment settings. -2.5* front, -2* rear.

13 offset 15s with the same roll and alignment.
195/50/15 15x7

15 offset range is the best moderation IMHO.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Offset is the distance from the center line of the wheel (in an 8 inch wheel, it's 4 inches) to the back of the mounting hub
The lower the number in offset, the closer the wheel moves toward the fender and away from the shock tower.
Another term synonymous with offset is backspacing. Backspacing is the distance from the rear of the hub to the end of the wheel toward the shock tower; most easily measured by laying your wheel face down, putting a straight edge accross the wheel and measuring from the hub out to the straight edge.

here's a link for more info on that
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=101

and here's a backspacing to offset the chart

[chart not available]

Offset is measured in millimeters
1 inch = 25.4mm

When you go +1 inch in width from your current setup 12.7mm is added equally to both sides of the wheel from the hub, so a 15x8 +30 will stick out 12.7mm more than a 15x7 +30.

Here's a basic offset calculator
http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

Here's a more in-depth one that I prefer to use (note: you can't stretch tires)
http://www.rims-n-tires.com/rt_specs.jsp

#9 ·
This is for a NB. What should I expect with this setup? Application is more daily driver so alignment considerations (specifically camber) must be conservative. what should I expect?

16x8-0 205/40
16x9+13 225/40

Would this be considered aggressive? borderline to aggressive? Semi conservative? I am a noob and proud of it. My technical background lies in technology NOT automotive so please forgive me.

thanks

#20 ·
^
sounds about right.
I'd say go somewhere between +10 and +15 depending on the look and tire you're trying for.

#22 · (Edited)
let's keep this a fitment thread and not just posting pics of cars you like. It'll help all the noobs if you post the wheel specs and tire size. maybe even if fenders were rolled or pulled.

Front:
17x7+18
215/40
fenders rolled, liner removed.

Rear:

17x7+23
235/40
fenders rolled only.

#23 ·
thanks for the thread.
so now.... i wanna be sure about this.
im on 15x7 +38 with 205/50/15 and wanna get kinda sorta flush. i know how low ur car sits is also a factor. i just need a rough estimate for now, just to see if im on the right track.
i would need a 1" spacer to get me at +13ish right...or wrong??

#25 ·
It'll make it easier on yourself if you keep to one unit of measurement. Let's use MM since you know what your wheels are. +38 et with a 25mm spacer will give you +13et.

And yes, get the 25mm spacer, you will like it, and so will we. :)

#29 ·
This isn't tell a bad joke thread. Specs on your setup. And at least make sure its a setup someone else might want, I don't think anyone is going to be asking if the stock rims will fit if they've been spray painted.

#30 · (Edited)
What is flush?

Different people have different opinions. Here's mine:

"Flush" is achieving the appearance of minimal distance between the outer lip of your wheel and the outer lip of your fender without compromising alignment specs or tire width.
A lot of people are willing to leave the last part of that sentence off. I am not.

What are the variables?

In fitting wheels for flushness, the variables are:

Wheel width
Wheel offset
Tire size
Fender modfications
Ride height
Suspension alignment

We've already stated that this write up assumes you don't want to make huge sacrifices in tire width or alignment specs. More on that to come. Suffice to say we'll only be rolling fenders and sticking to a tried and true performance alignment spec.

Since this is CR.net - we're also going to assume you are running below 12" fender-to-hub ride height. Since we're also trying not to sacrifice too much performance, we're going to assume you're above 11". (The car that these specs are based on is 11.25" front, 11.75" rear)

What about fenders?

You'll have to roll the fronts and rears flat. You shouldn't need to pull fenders at all. I'm speaking from experience on an NB. NA may need a very gentle pull in the front depending on which tires you choose and how low you are.

You may choose to remove your front fender liners. However, you can probably get away with just trimming certain portions of them back with snips or a dremel. Again - depends on how low you are. The higher you ride, the less trimming you'll need.

What about alignment?

One of the benefits of sticking to the 8" +20 rule is that you can run reasonably low without being forced to run excessive negative camber in order to fit without rubbing.

For cars lower than 12", 949 Racing recommends:

Front camber: -2.8* (or as close as you can get to it)
Caster: +2.75 to +3.5*
Front total toe: 0

Rear camber : -2.5*
Front total toe: 0
That alignment will fit perfectly.

What's the wheel size?

Ready? IMO the optimal target is equivalent to an 8" wide wheel at +20mm offset. If your wheel is wider or narrower than 8" you'll have to do the math to see which offset is a close match.

For example: A 16x8 +20 sits within 3mm of a 949 Racing 6UL in 15x9 +36. If you put a 3mm spacer on the 6UL they'll be identically "flush".

What about tires?

The answer depends on your wheel width. If you have the 8" +20 wheel a 215 is about as wide as you will fit without pulling fenders in the front. (Again - speaking from NB experience) If you have the 9" +36 wheel 225's fit fine. Using those benchmarks you should be able to calculate what will work with your desired wheels.

Keep in mind that not all tires are created equal. One tire maker's 205 may fit like another maker's 215. Do your research.

Pictures:

Here are 16x8 +20 Rota Slipstreams with 215/45 Yokohama S-Drive tires.

Here are 15x9 949 Racing 6UL's with 225/45-15 Nitto NT-01's (no 3mm spacer in these pics)

Disclaimer: YMMV - This is what worked for me. Just because you followed some of the instructions above (or think you did) does not guarantee anything. Always do the research, the math, the test fitting and everything else yourself for your own situation. Don't come crying to me (or anyone else on CR.net) if you're not happy.

#2,812 ·
Here are 16x8 +20 Rota Slipstreams with 215/45 Yokohama S-Drive tires.

SO after goin to SImply Clean 3 and seeing all the slammed cars and such, I wanna start on my project. I going to start on Coilovers then move onto rims and tire. My questions is on the offset. I like this setup pictured above but did you have to roll the enders to fit a offset of +20. I thinking of an offset between +20 to +30. I don't really want to roll the fenders since I have no clue how to or who can roll fenders. I also don't want to be slammed either. I want to have a working ride height and such. Thanks for you input.

Before I forget, they are going on MSM and I thinking of a 16x8 I might go with a 16x7. I still deciding. Thanks.

#31 · (Edited)
it should also probably be mentioned that certain models of tires have more tapered sidewalls from the factory. typically, falkens tend to be slightly narrower as you approach the contact patch whereas toyo, for example, are closer to parallel. it's enough difference to affect your camber specs when fitting wide & low offset wheels.

"Keep in mind that not all tires are created equal. One tire maker's 205 may fit like another maker's 215. Do your research." .... looks like mk2tmr2 beat me to it :p

#33 · (Edited)
Per Emilio's / 949 Racing's website for 6UL's

Fitments

90-05 Miata

15x7 (discontinued) Race fitment for Spec Miata. 205/50/15 fit no rubbing with Spec Miata suspension. 225/45/15 on ITA car may require trimming fender liner, depending on suspension bump travel.

15x7.5 +34 (discontinued) 195/45 - 195/50 - 205/50 - 215/45 - 225/45 fit standard length dampers no rubbing at all ride heights. 225/45 may require trimming liner with short body coilovers that allow the suspension to compress further than stock. 225/50 require trimming liners.

15x8 195/45 - 195/50 - 205/50 - 215/45 - 225/45 fit standard length dampers no rubbing at any useable ride height. 225/45 may require trimming liner with short body coilovers that allow the suspension to compress further than stock.
225/50: fit NB's fine, NA's require trimming liners and fender roll. 225/45: at least -1.25* front camber recommended for the NA, NB's clear with stock alignment.

15x9 195/50 - not recommended. 225/45: Tires fit NB with no mods needed, fits NA with slightly rolled fenders. 225/50: require rolling and pulling fenders, removing liners on NA, NB only requires slight roll. 235/50 Toyo R888: requires rolling and pulling on NA, roll only on NB, will rub top of tire at full compression. 275/35 require rolling and pulling, removing liners on NA, flat roll on NB. 20-30mm spacer recommended to fill aftermarket flares.

Tire/wheel will not clear stock front spring perches. Narrower 2.75" (70mm) Tein, JIC spring coilovers rub the tire at full lock. 2.5" (65mm) GC's and similar rub less at full lock. 2.25" (58mm) springs have no rubbing. Wheel may not clear front upper control arm when backing up at full lock, double check and use 3mm spacer if you get wheel to control arm contact at full lock/ full droop.

Brakes A ll 6UL's clear M-Tuned BRK, Goodwin Racing, MPCA, Winner Pro, Monster Miata Wilwood/RX7 big brake kits with one piece Corrado and two piece Wilwood rotors, 01+ sport brakes.

#1,829 · (Edited)
And I feel like an idiot now for not being able to answer my own question. I definitely read this but for some reason it didnt register in my head lol. Specifically the part where it says the 15x8's on an NA will "require trimming liners and fender roll." So im gonna be buying the 7.5s i think.

#34 ·
Rota RBs 13x8 et -4

front fitment with 185/60 13 Advan A048 roll performed but suprisingly not required. -1.5* camber

rear fitment with 205/60 A048s. tight fit. needed a roll and slight pull unfortunatly. -1.5* camber again.

sorry for the dirt, i live on a gravel road and all the roads around here are quite dusty and not in the greatest of shape. washing a car more then once or twice a month up here is useless lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.