ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for a harness for my new Corbeau Forza. Im thinking 5 pt because I heard of a guy in an evo that had 4pt, crashed, slid under the belt and ended up in the footwell. I need them for some autox events and maybe some track events. Im not looking to spend too much and preferably blue :D

·
Registered
489 Posts
I've raced with Crow and Simpson. Both are pretty nice. I personally like the Simpson a little more because the quality is slightly better. But, Crow are still good quality and pretty darn good bang for-the-buck.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've ran a Takata 4-point and a Willans 6-point. Takata's are really thin in construction compared to the Willans.

For the street/mild track event (like autocross), anything more than a 4-point harness is a little excess.. What you heard about the evo guy slipping underneath his harness was probably because he had it improperly mounted or not tightly secured. I know most of my friends that drive around with their harness' daily tend to leave the harness loose for the "comfort," not the greatest idea.. If you follow the guidelines of how to mount/secure your harness properly, you shouldn't have any trouble with the "submarine" dive.

Whatever brand you choose to get, my only opinion is get a 3" instead of 2" like all the cheaper harnesses, they feel alot more holding and will definitely hurt alot less during an accident.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Im looking for a harness for my new Corbeau Forza. Im thinking 5 pt because I heard of a guy in an evo that had 4pt, crashed, slid under the belt and ended up in the footwell. I need them for some autox events and maybe some track events. Im not looking to spend too much and preferably blue :D

5 pt's kill your nads

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I have a sparco 6-point camlock, I used to use a 4 point clubman. the clubman had belts like OE, the camlock has much thicker belts. I like the 6 better than the 4 not because I'm concerned about submarining, since I only use it for autocross, but because the four would ride up when i tightened it, and the sub belt keeps it below my navel.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have the Willans 6-point. If you are going to do sub-straps, do two of them. It's a lot safer and there are some sanctioning bodies that won't allow 5-point setups.

I'd really like to hear how many of you folks recommending 4-point setups have actually TRIED both. I have, and I like the 6-point setup far, far better. Adding the sub-strap makes the entire harness feel 100% more secure, and you can strap it down far, far tighter than you can with a standard 4-point. Sub-straps are HIGHLY recommended.

·
Registered
209 Posts
For those of you with 6 points...

Do you have the kind that all meet in the center? Or the "Formula" style I saw on Crow's site?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Tried both. Went with a Schroth 4pt. Their ASM system has a small loop that would break away in an accident (much like the factory belts) allowing your body to rotate slightly rather than submarine under the dash. For autocross it was fine and less pressure on the old twig and berries.

http://www.schrothracing.com/products/competition/1597

FWIW I did not have the harness in the miata and I actually don't autocross with a harness anymore, I actually like being able to move my torso a bit. For track days though, if I had a seat with provisions, I'd probably still run the 4pt ASM.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Crow products seem good but the prices bother me. Why are they so cheap compaired to others? Can someone explain the diferance between the types ie: Pull up, pull down, camlock, duck bill, latch ect

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
I have both a Willans 6-point system (in the Miata) and a Schroth 6-point system (in the Atom). I wouldn't have it any other way. I've tried wearing 4-point belts, and they don't feel snug or safe at all to me. In order to tighten a 4-point system enough to be effectively snug, you risk the shoulder belts pulling up on the lap belt so that it's off your hips (a very dangerous thing in an accident).

A 6-point belt feels awkward at first, especially if you've never worn one before. However, once you've worn it a few times you'll wonder how you ever got along without them. A good 6-point system will not only help keep you safe in an accident, they'll improve your driving feel and greatly reduce driving fatigue when driving aggresively.

3 and 4 point belts feel sloppy and unsafe afterwards, and I barely tolerate them.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mr. Woolery what are your views on 5-pt?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have the Willans 6-point. If you are going to do sub-straps, do two of them. It's a lot safer and there are some sanctioning bodies that won't allow 5-point setups.

I'd really like to hear how many of you folks recommending 4-point setups have actually TRIED both. I have, and I like the 6-point setup far, far better. Adding the sub-strap makes the entire harness feel 100% more secure, and you can strap it down far, far tighter than you can with a standard 4-point. Sub-straps are HIGHLY recommended.
I have recommended the 4-point for this person because of his budget.

The Willans 6-point I have used on my car felt alot more comfortable and holding then the Takata 4-point that I had. If you have the cash, then I would say get the Willans 6-point. But for someone who's just looking for a cheap harness for the street/mild track event, I'd say get a 4-point with a 3" wide harness strap.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I had 5pt crows in my rx7, they were great. I really love oldschool latch style belts.
but I mounted my sub belt on the driverside slightly offcenter so it would rub my right leg harder than the left and drive me crazy. so I drove around normally without it... the pax side was perfect though.

I have a G-force 5.5pt camlock but I havent installed it yet because I dont have a harness bar... someday I will mount it up.

a "5.5" point is a 5 point where the sub belt is self centering on a Y belt. works better for stock seat applications. I have a ultrashield now so Idont know if Im going to use it as a Y or just a standard sub belt.

·
Registered
489 Posts
The Crow products seem good but the prices bother me. Why are they so cheap compaired to others? Can someone explain the diferance between the types ie: Pull up, pull down, camlock, duck bill, latch ect
Don't let the prices bother you, they're pretty good quality. It's just because they are a smaller family owned business.

Pull up- Lap belt adjusters pull up from floor area to tighten.

Pull down- Lap belt adjusters are near centerline (latch/link or camlock) and are pulled away/down towards floor to tighten.

Camlock-Center piece with 5 slots for tabs on end of each belt. Knob rotates to release tabs (or lever flips for some Simpson)

Duck bill- End of latch that you hook your finger on (ironically it looks like a duck, lol)

Latch/link- Older style design. Both shoulder belts and anti-submarine belt (if equiped) slide over one lap belt which has a longer tab. Then the oppsit lap belt is slid over and latched in place.

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
My TRS (Total Restraint System) Magnum 6-pointer:

Yes, these are 2"; time-expired FIA-approved 2" webbing. Good enough for the Rally of Britain a few years ago.

As far as I know, Willans are the best source for a MX5-friendly harness; Caterham-style pull up lap belt adjusters, extended shoulder belts (Caterham shoulder belts are too short).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts