ClubRoadster.net banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
After speaking with Boundary Engineering, they were happy to inspect the pump for me free of charge. Win. I guess that's worthy of a can of brake clean.

Tore the Jenveys down while I was at it so they can be sent off for port matching. Hopefully both of these will have short turn around times.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I was able to get both the transmission and the oil pan clean enough to throw some engine enamel at them and make them look somewhat respectable. Wish I had a pressure washer.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The Mazda Motorsports oil pan baffle came in the mail and it looks pretty nice. Ill get that installed once I get the motivation to clean the inside of the oil pan out.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
To make this engine really something special, I was hoping to have a set of "MandrewMade" headers built by Andrew (mandrew_made_life on Instagram). Andrew unfortunately quit making them for the foreseeable future, however, I won the lottery, and found somebody selling a used set. These were listed on a Facebook page, and sold within the first 30 minutes of being listed. The person who originally bought them had buyers remorse and I bought them from him. Getting shipped out tomorrow, I cant wait to see these test fitted with the ITBs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
To make this engine really something special, I was hoping to have a set of "MandrewMade" headers built by Andrew (mandrew_made_life on Instagram). Andrew unfortunately quit making them for the foreseeable future, however, I won the lottery, and found somebody selling a used set. These were listed on a Facebook page, and sold within the first 30 minutes of being listed. The person who originally bought them had buyers remorse and I bought them from him. Getting shipped out tomorrow, I cant wait to see these test fitted with the ITBs.
View attachment 150775
I'm a sucker for a big manifold :p can realy help release power(y)

I'm modifying one to fit my 1.6 (manifold needs re-shaping slightly to fit a 5) but theres a few other jobs happening so it's taking time:oops:

Rich.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I'm a sucker for a big manifold :p can realy help release power(y)

I'm modifying one to fit my 1.6 (manifold needs re-shaping slightly to fit a 5) but theres a few other jobs happening so it's taking time:oops:

Rich.
I've seen pictures of this thing somewhere on the internet, does the build thread in your bio detail the dry sump at all? Super interested in learning more about the dry sump setup. Been toying around with the idea of a dry sump lately.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've seen pictures of this thing somewhere on the internet, does the build thread in your bio detail the dry sump at all? Super interested in learning more about the dry sump setup. Been toying around with the idea of a dry sump lately.
yup, if you've a day (or two?) to read that link you'll see some thoughts on the drysump setup but it's fragmented and probably hard to read as I'm bouncing between many different parts of the car at the same time :oops:
also budget driven as I'm not constantly earning so used parts & no linear progress:(

I've played with drysump on a few rallycars but they were 'off-the-shelf' kits whereas theres nothing available for the Mazda 1.6 (OK, theres alloy sump pans for the 1.8 available from ARE in the US but not here in the UK😕) similarly with the tank / reservoir.

I'm assembling with the pump & reservoir on the exhaust side (UK / RHD passanger) as this allows the reservoir to be in the footwell behind the dashboard - could easily be replicated on the inlet side for LHD.

Rich.

·
First Things First I'm The Realist
10,409 Posts
Pardon my ignorance
No.

What are the covered springs for on the sides of the collector?
Because this is a motorcycle so it does exhausts like motorcycles do.

My bet is the combo of how long the header (downpipe in this instance?) is coupled with how big and tall the runners are make it nearly impossible to snake down as one piece. There's also no room for v bands or slip joints in that space. I'm curious if that's actually been flow tested against the usual suspects (Racing Beat).

·
First Things First I'm The Realist
10,409 Posts
You're going to have to elaborate here.

I just don't see any joint the springs are helping to hold together, so I don't know what their purpose is.
Like this one my dude... runners are individual on the manifold and then merge into the collector on the downpipe. The springs hold them together in perfect harmony.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts